Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Awards 2008 - Prestigious Codex Edition

Deleted member 7219

The worst example of that I've seen recently is when people say, "Can you borrow me a pencil?"

Also, "I could care less".

Texas Red

Whiner
Matt7895 said:
Dark Individual said:
Matt7895 said:
Vault Dweller said:
Matt7895 said:
Best RPG ever: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Evar?

Are you Codexers going to rape me for not putting Arcanum/PST/Fallout up there instead?

Don't think even Codexers are degenerate enough to rape a retard.

Says the cunt who has an Unwanted tag and a banned avatar. I really wish it was for real.

I don't know what's more pathetic, you reposting your little insult or copying Dark Sign. The fact of the matter is that you have to be either incredibly dumb to not understand why "Best RPG ever" should be reserved for other titles or have really, really bad taste.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Since the topic is now about grammar, what is the correct usage on this case:

1)I hate there games;
2)I hate they're games;
3)I hate their games;

Because honestly, number 3 seems and sounds like the correct one, but there's such an abundant, and by abundant I mean a FUCKING LOT of people that use number 1 mostly and sometimes number 2 that I'm beginning to believe I've learned it all wrong.

deranged

Cipher
Cloaked Figure said:
hey you cock guzzling twats who suggest having 1923912392139 categories for best C&C, best story, etc.. do you really think enough RPGs came out this year? we would see like 12 categories with only 3 rpgs being repeated several times.

GotY = best story, best c&c, best quests
visuals = best art style, best color pallet, best spell effects, etc.
sound = best music, best voice acting, best battle shouts, etc

cock guzzling homo phobes.

I'll rape you. And then you'll die. Funny isn't it?

Deleted member 7219

racofer said:

1)I hate there games;
2)I hate they're games;
3)I hate their games;

Because honestly, number 3 seems and sounds like the correct one, but there's such an abundant, and by abundant I mean a FUCKING LOT of people that use number 1 mostly and sometimes number 2 that I'm beginning to believe I've learned it all wrong.

There = "Hey, look over there!"

They're = "They're gay."

Their = "I like their shorts."

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
racofer said:

1)I hate there games;
2)I hate they're games;
3)I hate their games;

They're = "They're gay."

I find it surreal people can even think of discussing this with someone able to speak English.
In most cases it's a typo, but I haven't seen anyone who's not sure about it before.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bluebottle said:
It's just one of those common mistakes that's become almost acceptable, like "Me and my friend" instead of "My friend and I". I've seen librarians use this, who are usually pretty up tight about such things.

Dude, there's absolutely nothing grammatically wrong with saying "Me and my friend." It's only polite to put others before you. The problem is that people use me instead of I when referring to the subject of the sentence. Read this: http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ ... di?view=uk

English teachers in this country are lazy fucks. The things they teach are the equivalent of telling students in a science class that whales are fish just because it's easier for them to understand.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Unradscorpion said:
Matt7895 said:
racofer said:

1)I hate there games;
2)I hate they're games;
3)I hate their games;

They're = "They're gay."

I find it surreal people can even think of discussing this with someone able to speak English.
In most cases it's a typo, but I haven't seen anyone who's not sure about it before.

Tell a lie long enough and you will believe it's truth.

But my post wasn't serious though, I was merely expressing the frustration anyone who knows the language faces when reading this kind of error in 99 out of 100 posts. I also don't believe it's a typo since many people repeat the error constantly.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I feel I should add my pet peeves:

"Court marshal" used when the person means court martial is pretty dumb. How does that even make sense?
"Yea!" used when the person actually means to use yeah. Yeah, I know both indicate the affirmative, but the connotations are different.
"Here, here!" instead of "hear, hear."

Deleted member 7219

What does everyone think is the most common abuse of grammar on the internet?

I think 'could care less' gets it. I see it everywhere now.

I remember when the days when people said 'I couldn't care less'.... those were good times.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Most common? Most probably 'your' instead of 'you're' and vice versa.

Or even worse, 'ur'.

Disconnected

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
"Yea!" used when the person actually means to use yeah. Yeah, I know both indicate the affirmative, but the connotations are different.
Isn't it mostly the other way round?

To which you should always reply: "There, there."

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Disconnected said:
Lesifoere said:
Isn't it mostly the other way round?

I've no idea, but I see "yea" used in casual forum posts an awful lot, and I doubt the posters were trying to give a formal, assenting vote.

To which you should always reply: "There, there."[/quote]

I like you and shall remember this for the next time I see that.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Matt7895 said:

I think 'could care less' gets it. I see it everywhere now.

I remember when the days when people said 'I couldn't care less'.... those were good times.
The 90s were a fun time, indeed.

Fat Dragon said:
Jaime's thread is better anyway.
You're such a killjoy.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Matt7895 said:

The most annoying are the fucktards who think ellipses are some magical fucking punctuation mark that can be used in any situation.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
poocolator said:
Fat Dragon said:
Jaime's thread is better anyway.
You're such a killjoy.
I do my best.

On topic, the most annoying grammar mistakes are:
could've
would've
should've

I had a high school English teacher once who pretty much pounded the hatred for those three into my mind.

Multi-headed Cow

Matt7895 said:
GTA 4 isn't a fucking RPG.
There are consequences for your actions. If you throw that grenade, that means you will never be able to throw that grenade in the game ever again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom