Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

tindrli

Arcane
this post made me realize that i didn't played RPG-s in 2020 :deadhorse:

Mortmal

Arcane
As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here.
No, you are guessing while I speak from experience.

Every goddamn poll we do there's the same group of butthurt losers making alts, bots that vote 1 on every game, voting for games that don't exist, asking for help on the shoutbox or Steam group, etc... the number of voters is not that big, a dozen troll votes can seriously impact the results. It's easy to come up with solutions in theory - "let's make all the votes on a forum thread!" - but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results. If having ways to stop the trolls is not one of your priorities, any poll in the Codex will just be a waste of time.
That's why this poll should be created and maintained by the staff here on the Codex, as it's the most relevant poll due to the nature of the site. Let them handle the alt voting, trolls, etc. I trust DarkUnderlord would supervise this process to ensure that there will be no shenanigans at work. We're talking about a fucking forum poll here, not rocket science!

A proper official poll would confer prestige. No doubt in my mind most indie devs would take pride knowing their game won/ranked high on the official GOTY poll run by RPGCodex, the most prestigious RPG site of them all. It's another form of advertising their products.
Marvel Avengers GOTY

Poll's closed.
No switch version, i disagree then. Quite a shame that's a game the kids would like.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Google sheets is easy, fast and decently reliable. I tried doing a voting that required you to be logged in the Codex, but that took way longer and requires tempting the gods by asking DU to do it for me. And the results were basically the same.

imagine if there was a place we could write messages (like a forum) and we vote there, by typing, and it's tied to our account since we need one to be able to post... but then you wouldn't be able to spam it to twatter and ree-trannies and it would be harder to manipulate votes for games that match your agenda. (since everyone could see who voted for what)

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A submission topic running during the month before the GOTY poll would be a good thing.
Ok,next year we could try it out.... if am still alive and there is still internet.

I'd suggest a month of nomination in January and then running a poll in February.

Not that the "official" poll will take any notice, it'll just be the games Mr Pepe considers significant.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Damn, I barely played anything on that list, and did not finish a single game from it. Was 2020 really that shitty game-wise?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If I know how to falsify them, I know how to make them interesting too:
upload_2021-1-12_23-4-40.png

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I don't care if felipepepepe holds his poll elsewhere but this for sure ain't the "RPG Codex 2020 GOTY"

tbh I dont even know what he posted all those 16,000 messages except every odd year when he speaks like someone with authority.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BTW, here is a way to make a vote that is:
1. Secret
2. Members-only
3. Unfalsifiable
4. Simple
5. Easy to restrict by join date

Vote by PM. Every year, a special forum account is created and everyone PMs this account his ratings for RPGOTY, according to a predetermined template. The account can't post in any threads ofcourse.

This way a copy of your vote stays in your PMs and in the GOTY Vote account's PMs. When the voting is over the results are processed quick and easy thanks to the template used, and the GOTY Vote account's password is made public so users can verify the data if they want - and see how others voted. And that's all, next year there is a new Vote account.

In case of *VOTE FRAUD* users who spotted differences would be the first to raise the alarm.

AwesomeButton

Patron
why would you want vote to be secret? i for one want to know what are you ashamed of
BTW how is your CP77 review coming along? Sorry I can't really be much help on its development history, I only started following it after the 2018 reveal.

felipepepe Re: Hades and Avengers:

First off: I want to be clear that I very much appreciate the effort you put into these polls; it makes this community a better place, and I'm sure it is no small investiture of time and effort on your part. So thank you.
But: I think you're taking a very weird stand here, and it makes me wonder if you've played either game. Admittedly, I haven't played Avengers so I'm not in the best position to talk about it definitively (and I welcome correction if I'm mistaken here), but it looks to me to basically be a third-person brawler grafted onto a looter-shooter like Destiny (I think maybe Anthem is the best analogue I'm aware of? not sure, I don't play these games at all).

Hades by comparison plays very much as a Diablo-clone. It has strong progression elements, encourages min/maxing in character builds, and requires a deep understanding of its underlying systems for an optimal chance of success. The comparison to Dead Cells also feels disingenuous (although you are correct that they share multiple superficial similarities). They play materially different despite sharing similar macro-design sensibilities; one is inspired by Metroidvanias, and one is inspired by Diablo.

The thing is, I don't actually have a problem with not including Hades in this poll if you're of the opinion that Diablo is not an RPG. I think that's a totally valid and easily arguable opinion (one in fact that I largely agree with!), but it's not what has been established in past years; if Van Helsing and Grim Dawn have been candidates for RPGOTY then Hades absolutely deserves a nomination as well, and including Avengers but omitting Hades absolutely reads like a very weird and intentional slight.

Last edited:

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Gosh, thank-you once again felipepepe for all your hard work and dedication to these polls each and every year since I first joined. It always reminds me of that first time, when I come across another GOYT Poll here at our home, the grounds we all built together, and it puts a smile on my face as I reflect back on those earlier times. Sadly, I am unable to participate this year as I've played none of the games on the list. May the best RPG win.

Thanks,
Sherry

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe Re: Hades and Avengers:

First off: I want to be clear that I very much appreciate the effort you put into these polls; it makes this community a better place, and I'm sure it is no small investiture of time and effort on your part. So thank you.
But: I think you're taking a very weird stand here, and it makes me wonder if you've played either game. Admittedly, I haven't played Avengers so I'm not in the best position to talk about it definitively (and I welcome correction if I'm mistaken here), but it looks to me to basically be a third-person brawler grafted onto a looter-shooter like Destiny (I think maybe Anthem is the best analogue I'm aware of? not sure, I don't play these games at all).

Hades by comparison plays very much as a Diablo-clone. It has strong progression elements, encourages min/maxing in character builds, and requires a deep understanding of its underlying systems for an optimal chance of success. The comparison to Dead Cells also feels disingenuous (although you are correct that they share multiple superficial similarities). They play materially different despite sharing similar macro-design sensibilities; one is inspired by Metroidvanias, and one is inspired by Diablo.

The thing is, I don't actually have a problem with not including Hades in this poll if you're of the opinion that Diablo is not an RPG. I think that's a totally valid and easily arguable opinion (one in fact that I largely agree with!), but it's not what has been established in past years; if Van Helsing and Grim Dawn have been candidates for RPGOTY then Hades absolutely deserves a nomination as well, and including Avengers but omitting Hades absolutely reads like a very weird and intentional slight.
I know Hades is loved around here, I also think it was probably the best game of the year, but - and I know this is subjective and will open a giant can of worms - I think it's a game mostly about twitch skills, descending from games like Spelunky and especially Binding of Isaac.

Modern roguelites are very tricky in this. It's a new subgenre that constantly gets further and further away from their Rogue roots. For another example, Monster Train was also one of the best games of the year. Yet, with all the complains in this thread, the only time it was mentioned was as "great game, not an RPG". We had Slay the Spire in the 2019 GOTY, it won 3rd place, but by now it seems clear that deck-building roguelikes have become their own thing, with some games being very RPG-ish (like Dream Quest), while others not moving far from it.

Of all the criticism about the poll, I think that's the most valid one - that I decided by myself what's an RPG and which games would be on the list.

Next year we'll do the nomination thread for 1 month, but I fear that it will backfire into a gigantic list and a lot of drama about "what's an RPG". Or, if there's genuine outrage about this besides the usual butthurt squad, someone can do it now and run a second poll as the "official one". I'll run this one until the end and post the results, the Codex staff can decide what to do with it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Next year we'll do the nomination thread for 1 month, but I fear that it will backfire into a gigantic list and a lot of drama about "what's an RPG".
Abuses Of Speech
To these Uses, there are also foure correspondent Abuses. First, when men register their thoughts wrong, by the inconstancy of the signification of their words; by which they register for their conceptions, that which they never conceived; and so deceive themselves. Secondly, when they use words metaphorically; that is, in other sense than that they are ordained for; and thereby deceive others. Thirdly, when by words they declare that to be their will, which is not. Fourthly, when they use them to grieve one another: for seeing nature hath armed living creatures, some with teeth, some with horns, and some with hands, to grieve an enemy, it is but an abuse of Speech, to grieve him with the tongue, unlesse it be one whom wee are obliged to govern; and then it is not to grieve, but to correct and amend.

The manner how Speech serveth to the remembrance of the consequence of causes and effects, consisteth in the imposing of Names, and the Connexion of them.
By this it appears how necessary it is for any man that aspires to true Knowledge, to examine the Definitions of former Authors; and either to correct them, where they are negligently set down; or to make them himselfe. For the errours of Definitions multiply themselves, according as the reckoning proceeds; and lead men into absurdities, which at last they see, but cannot avoyd, without reckoning anew from the beginning; in which lyes the foundation of their errours. From whence it happens, that they which trust to books, do as they that cast up many little summs into a greater, without considering whether those little summes were rightly cast up or not; and at last finding the errour visible, and not mistrusting their first grounds, know not which way to cleere themselves; but spend time in fluttering over their bookes; as birds that entring by the chimney, and finding themselves inclosed in a chamber, flitter at the false light of a glasse window, for want of wit to consider which way they came in. So that in the right Definition of Names, lyes the first use of Speech; which is the Acquisition of Science: And in wrong, or no Definitions' lyes the first abuse; from which proceed all false and senslesse Tenets; which make those men that take their instruction from the authority of books, and not from their own meditation, to be as much below the condition of ignorant men, as men endued with true Science are above it. For between true Science, and erroneous Doctrines, Ignorance is in the middle. Naturall sense and imagination, are not subject to absurdity. Nature it selfe cannot erre: and as men abound in copiousnesse of language; so they become more wise, or more mad than ordinary. Nor is it possible without Letters for any man to become either excellently wise, or (unless his memory be hurt by disease, or ill constitution of organs) excellently foolish. For words are wise mens counters, they do but reckon by them: but they are the mony of fooles, that value them by the authority of an Aristotle, a Cicero, or a Thomas, or any other Doctor whatsoever, if but a man.
The first cause of Absurd conclusions I ascribe to the want of Method; in that they begin not their Ratiocination from Definitions; that is, from settled significations of their words: as if they could cast account, without knowing the value of the numerall words, One, Two, and Three.

And whereas all bodies enter into account upon divers considerations, (which I have mentioned in the precedent chapter) these considerations being diversly named, divers absurdities proceed from the confusion, and unfit connexion of their names into assertions.
To conclude, The Light of humane minds is Perspicuous Words, but by exact definitions first snuffed, and purged from ambiguity; Reason is the Pace; Encrease of Science, the Way; and the Benefit of man-kind, the End. And on the contrary, Metaphors, and senslesse and ambiguous words, are like Ignes Fatui; and reasoning upon them, is wandering amongst innumerable absurdities; and their end, contention, and sedition, or contempt.

- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

frontispiece-of-the-leviathan-by-thomas-hobbes-abraham-bosse.jpg

Wunderbar

Arcane
but I fear that it will backfire into a gigantic list and a lot of drama about "what's an RPG".
You start a thread; someone submits the game, the others brofist if agree. Then, you sort posts with brofist counter and select posts if minimal threshold is achieved. Jeebus, that's how Ultimate Guitar does nomination threads for years.
and then people will start giving it neutral ratings like tldr, prosper, balanced and doggy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom