Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

ekrolo2

Learned
Going through this list, the only RPG from 2020 was DBZ Kakarot. Jesus fucking Christ.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1 and 2 I'll ignore. 3 is always a problem, every year we have issues with how hard it is to add all games. Last year there was the issue with SaGa: Scarlet Grace, that was released on Japan's Steam in 2018 but in the west in 2019. Abu Antar pointed it out, but was already days into the voting process IIRC, adding it would make the game look bad so I mentioned it in the results post instead.
The solution is to vet your list in a thread here before committing to it, and ignore anyone asking for games to be removed. That way it's no longer felipe's list but Codex's list, as it should be.

As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here. If there ends up being too many troll submissions for you to bother adding them all, go ahead and apply your "subjective criteria". It'll still be a better poll than this, because serious posters will have had a chance to get their games in. And besides, if Doom ends up winning RPGOTY then that's a truer reflection of how the Codex felt about the year's offerings than if Cyberpunk wins like we all know it will.

Hell, the Top 70 vote ran FOR A MONTH, with you being able to submit any game you like, and we still had people angry that they missed the thread and their game wasn't there.
Then you're entitled to tell them to fuck off.

No one even suggested any of these games at Fanta's poll in the entire month the thread was there.
If we had known that a thread by a drunk Bulgarian was in fact the Official shortlist for the Official poll, and that there was a secret submission deadline, then maybe we would have.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
With a selection like this, 3 is the new 1. Gave it to Cyberpunk for effort, otherwise voting would not make much sense. For once that I now saw this before voting was closed.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The solution is to vet your list in a thread here before committing to it, and ignore anyone asking for games to be removed. That way it's no longer felipe's list but Codex's list, as it should be.

I think an official codex rpg nominations thread a week earlier is a good idea aswell. Many of the good isometric indie games that got shafted this time have some fans in some very active posters here. Like that it will be much less likely to miss some obvious inclusion beforehand.

About the vote cleaning:
With the low number of votes the codex gets I think that might be more necessary than one realises. Most played game 2019 had less than 700 votes, that makes 35 trolls statistically relevant.
But it is very easy to check wether felipepepe 's cleaning does wonders or worse, just paste raw data list aswell for comparisons sake.

People worry too much about outside influence. The codex is virtually unknown on the wider internet since web 2.0. The number of twitter voters who never had a codex account will probably be zero. Maybe we get some rogue RPGwatch voters but since that forum has like 12 active people left it can't be more than 3-5 foreign votes.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
It really needs to be added since there is stuff like Phoenix Point on the list.
Does it have as many trannies as Phoenix Point does? Having a large number of them seems to be the only qualifier to be considered an RPG these days.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here.
No, you are guessing while I speak from experience.

Every goddamn poll we do there's the same group of butthurt losers making alts, bots that vote 1 on every game, voting for games that don't exist, asking for help on the shoutbox or Steam group, etc... the number of voters is not that big, a dozen troll votes can seriously impact the results. It's easy to come up with solutions in theory - "let's make all the votes on a forum thread!" - but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results. If having ways to stop the trolls is not one of your priorities, any poll in the Codex will just be a waste of time.

V_K

Arcane
but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results
But what's wrong with that exactly? If I feel about game A strongly enough to revise my vote to bring it closer to or further away from the top - then this revised vote only better reflects my opinion.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results
But what's wrong with that exactly? If I feel about game A strongly enough to revise my vote to bring it closer to or further away from the top - then this revised vote only better reflects my opinion.
Do I really have to explain why this is bad? Let's say you voted 2/4 for Wasteland 3 because you think it's "meh", but people count the votes and say "Yakuza will win by one point!" then you change your vote to 3/4 because you still prefer W3 to weaboo shit.

That's not your opinion on W3 as a game, that's pure butthurt over a game you don't like winning. You changed your vote just to impact the final results. And if a lot of people start doing this, then the scores lose all meaning.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Do I really have to explain why this is bad? Let's say you voted 2/4 for Wasteland 3 because you think it's "meh", but people count the votes and say "Yakuza will win by one point!" then you change your vote to 3/4 because you still prefer W3 to weaboo shit.

That's not your opinion on W3 as a game, that's pure butthurt over a game you don't like winning. You changed your vote just to impact the final results. And if a lot of people start doing this, then the scores lose all meaning.
But,but then how are we know if out marvel masterpiece is winning and that is enough spamming of 4s for it???

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
2020: a year so bad, Euro Truck Simulator won Codex RPG of the Year.
Still better than dragon age winning.
This year, either Troubleshooter will deservedly obtain its place as the Codex's RPG of the Year, or else Brian Fargo with Wasteland 3 will at long last regain the hearts and minds of the Codex.

rflNExf.png

1qIOV5b.png

qioUXHH.png

vWqQGSr.png

Brian Fargo: Believing His Lies Since 1985

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Troubleshooter easily - even if it were a great year it would still do very well.

Having said that, I haven't played most of the games there (although some are on the to-do list), so I might be missing out on something :)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here.

Every goddamn poll we do there's the same group of butthurt losers making alts, bots that vote 1 on every game, voting for games that don't exist, asking for help on the shoutbox or Steam group, etc... the number of voters is not that big, a dozen troll votes can seriously impact the results. It's easy to come up with solutions in theory - "let's make all the votes on a forum thread!" - but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results. If having ways to stop the trolls is not one of your priorities, any poll in the Codex will just be a waste of time.
Well, then, as I said, feel free to prune both the nominations and the results as much as you want. It's tangential to my point anyway. I'm not a troll, but I expect to be able to vote for my GOTY in the GOTY poll.

Re: in-forum voting, it's possible to make polls where the results are only viewable after voting and where votes can't be changed. That'd be fairly resistant to the kind of thing you're talking about. (Not that I have an issue with the format of this year's poll, it's the content that's the problem.)

V_K

Arcane
Let's say you voted 2/4 for Wasteland 3 because you think it's "meh", but people count the votes and say "Yakuza will win by one point!" then you change your vote to 3/4 because you still prefer W3 to weaboo shit.
So? "Meh, but not bad enough to let it lose to a JRPG" is a more precise assessment of a game's value than simply "meh". Scores are relative and situational. Nothing's stopping Yakuza fans from retaliating, so in the end, the two games will have the same placement relative to each other. Unless you think actual numerical scores are somehow meaningful, in which case, think again.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of tactical voting like that happens with blind votes as well. There's simply no reason to rate a game 3 instead of 4 if you want it to end up in the top, just as there's no reason to rate it 2 instead of 1 if you don't. The only way to avoid that is switching to a binary like/dislike system.

Last edited:

A horse of course

I have a message for those of you who enabled felipepe: The rest of the Codex will not forget this. History will not forget this.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This year, either Troubleshooter will deservedly obtain its place as the Codex's RPG of the Year, or else Brian Fargo with Wasteland 3 will at long last regain the hearts and minds of the Codex.

Brian Fargo: Believing His Lies Since 1985
You know... I followed 3 titles this year:
  1. Starpoint Gemini 3
  2. Empire of Sin
  3. Wasteland 3
(and maybe Cyberpunk 2077, for the lulz)

Starpoint Gemini 3, entered EA (pushback mechanic) and released to be a horrible trainwreck that I refunded.
Empire of Sin was pushed back citing polish, only to be released as a half baked buggy mess from an out of touch dev.
Cyberpunk is a well-known story at this point. Pushed back. Buggy mess. Out of touch devs.

Wasteland fucking 3... pushed back citing COVID: turned out... good. Surprisingly almost no bugs*, decent production value, decent soundtracks, general feeling that Brian Fargo (whilst still a fucking trash suit) knows not to push his luck twice in a row.

So yeah... Brian Fargo. A snake. But not a dumb snake.

*although Vic disappearing if you accept him in the group, but not choosing to take him with right away is still pretty game breaking.

Aemar

Arcane

That's why this poll should be created and maintained by the staff here on the Codex, as it's the most relevant poll due to the nature of the site. Let them handle the alt voting, trolls, etc. I trust DarkUnderlord would supervise this process to ensure that there will be no shenanigans at work. We're talking about a fucking forum poll here, not rocket science!

A proper official poll would confer prestige. No doubt in my mind most indie devs would take pride knowing their game won/ranked high on the official GOTY poll run by RPGCodex, the most prestigious RPG site of them all. It's another form of advertising their products.

RPG_Watch_GameOfTheYear2009_Steam_3.png

(this is taken directly from Knights of the Chalice's award section on Steam)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom