1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex 2020 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by felipepepe, Jan 10, 2021.

1. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Incline.....all that is left is not coming back you degenerate weeb!

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Ahhh i could label me turd in the shitter an RPG,doesn't make it an RPG....unless ubisoft publish it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ekrolo2 Learned

ekrolo2
    Going through this list, the only RPG from 2020 was DBZ Kakarot. Jesus fucking Christ.

^ Top  
  4. Fenix Prophet Vatnik

Fenix
    I would vote for The Legionary's Life if it wasn't released in 2019.
    Game is really good, and cozy good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    The solution is to vet your list in a thread here before committing to it, and ignore anyone asking for games to be removed. That way it's no longer felipe's list but Codex's list, as it should be.

As for "trolls", who gives a shit? If morons want to vote for Doom as GOTY, why not let them? I think you seriously overestimate the size of the troll contingent here. If there ends up being too many troll submissions for you to bother adding them all, go ahead and apply your "subjective criteria". It'll still be a better poll than this, because serious posters will have had a chance to get their games in. And besides, if Doom ends up winning RPGOTY then that's a truer reflection of how the Codex felt about the year's offerings than if Cyberpunk wins like we all know it will.

Then you're entitled to tell them to fuck off.

If we had known that a thread by a drunk Bulgarian was in fact the Official shortlist for the Official poll, and that there was a secret submission deadline, then maybe we would have.

• Brofist x 10
    • :M x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    With a selection like this, 3 is the new 1. Gave it to Cyberpunk for effort, otherwise voting would not make much sense. For once that I now saw this before voting was closed.

^ Top  
  7. samuraigaiden Liturgist

samuraigaiden
    RPG Wokedex
    If Gates of Integrity doesn't win this poll, our timeline is doomed.

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    2020: a year so bad, Euro Truck Simulator won Codex RPG of the Year.

• incline incline x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Old school dungeon crawlers are boring. You just move trough the same labyrinthian levels that have the same look and kill monsters. It is nothing more,nothing less. It gets old fast.

• sheeple x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    My sole contribution to this entire endeavor is to give Cyberpunk a middling score. What a year.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Black Arcane

Black
    Still better than dragon age winning.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    I think an official codex rpg nominations thread a week earlier is a good idea aswell. Many of the good isometric indie games that got shafted this time have some fans in some very active posters here. Like that it will be much less likely to miss some obvious inclusion beforehand.

About the vote cleaning:
    With the low number of votes the codex gets I think that might be more necessary than one realises. Most played game 2019 had less than 700 votes, that makes 35 trolls statistically relevant.
    But it is very easy to check wether felipepepe 's cleaning does wonders or worse, just paste raw data list aswell for comparisons sake.

People worry too much about outside influence. The codex is virtually unknown on the wider internet since web 2.0. The number of twitter voters who never had a codex account will probably be zero. Maybe we get some rogue RPGwatch voters but since that forum has like 12 active people left it can't be more than 3-5 foreign votes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Does it have as many trannies as Phoenix Point does? Having a large number of them seems to be the only qualifier to be considered an RPG these days.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    My vote would go for Realms of Antiquity but it isn't on the list...

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    By the numbers, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Cyberpunk and Horizon Zero Dawn are most successful games on the list.

^ Top  
  16. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    No, you are guessing while I speak from experience.

Every goddamn poll we do there's the same group of butthurt losers making alts, bots that vote 1 on every game, voting for games that don't exist, asking for help on the shoutbox or Steam group, etc... the number of voters is not that big, a dozen troll votes can seriously impact the results. It's easy to come up with solutions in theory - "let's make all the votes on a forum thread!" - but then people start counting the votes mid-poll and changing stuff to rig the results. If having ways to stop the trolls is not one of your priorities, any poll in the Codex will just be a waste of time.

• Brofist x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. V_K Arcane

V_K
    But what's wrong with that exactly? If I feel about game A strongly enough to revise my vote to bring it closer to or further away from the top - then this revised vote only better reflects my opinion.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Do I really have to explain why this is bad? Let's say you voted 2/4 for Wasteland 3 because you think it's "meh", but people count the votes and say "Yakuza will win by one point!" then you change your vote to 3/4 because you still prefer W3 to weaboo shit.

That's not your opinion on W3 as a game, that's pure butthurt over a game you don't like winning. You changed your vote just to impact the final results. And if a lot of people start doing this, then the scores lose all meaning.

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    But,but then how are we know if out marvel masterpiece is winning and that is enough spamming of 4s for it???

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    This year, either Troubleshooter will deservedly obtain its place as the Codex's RPG of the Year, or else Brian Fargo with Wasteland 3 will at long last regain the hearts and minds of the Codex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brian Fargo: Believing His Lies Since 1985

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. gurugeorge Magister

gurugeorge
    Troubleshooter easily - even if it were a great year it would still do very well.

Having said that, I haven't played most of the games there (although some are on the to-do list), so I might be missing out on something :)

^ Top  
  22. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Well, then, as I said, feel free to prune both the nominations and the results as much as you want. It's tangential to my point anyway. I'm not a troll, but I expect to be able to vote for my GOTY in the GOTY poll.

Re: in-forum voting, it's possible to make polls where the results are only viewable after voting and where votes can't be changed. That'd be fairly resistant to the kind of thing you're talking about. (Not that I have an issue with the format of this year's poll, it's the content that's the problem.)

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. V_K Arcane

V_K
    So? "Meh, but not bad enough to let it lose to a JRPG" is a more precise assessment of a game's value than simply "meh". Scores are relative and situational. Nothing's stopping Yakuza fans from retaliating, so in the end, the two games will have the same placement relative to each other. Unless you think actual numerical scores are somehow meaningful, in which case, think again.
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of tactical voting like that happens with blind votes as well. There's simply no reason to rate a game 3 instead of 4 if you want it to end up in the top, just as there's no reason to rate it 2 instead of 1 if you don't. The only way to avoid that is switching to a binary like/dislike system.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I have a message for those of you who enabled felipepe: The rest of the Codex will not forget this. History will not forget this.

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Begone thot! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You know... I followed 3 titles this year:
    1. Starpoint Gemini 3
    2. Empire of Sin
    3. Wasteland 3
    (and maybe Cyberpunk 2077, for the lulz)

Starpoint Gemini 3, entered EA (pushback mechanic) and released to be a horrible trainwreck that I refunded.
    Empire of Sin was pushed back citing polish, only to be released as a half baked buggy mess from an out of touch dev.
    Cyberpunk is a well-known story at this point. Pushed back. Buggy mess. Out of touch devs.

Wasteland fucking 3... pushed back citing COVID: turned out... good. Surprisingly almost no bugs*, decent production value, decent soundtracks, general feeling that Brian Fargo (whilst still a fucking trash suit) knows not to push his luck twice in a row.

So yeah... Brian Fargo. A snake. But not a dumb snake.

Show Spoiler
    *although Vic disappearing if you accept him in the group, but not choosing to take him with right away is still pretty game breaking.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.