Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2021 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2021

It's that time of the year again!

The voting for the RPG Codex's 2021 GOTY poll is now open: VOTE HERE

I still remember the mid-2000s, when DU would post a summary of the year and rant on how we only had like 5 RPGs released during the entire year.

This year we have over 150 RPGs in our poll. And I don't mean 100 tiny indies no one played - these are all games with hundreds or thousands of positive reviews on Steam. Lots of variety too, from big titles and indie gems to mods, remasters, ports and the final release of games that have been on Early Access for ages.

Yes, it's a very long list. Consider this a test to see how it goes, since it's likely that the next years will also have a ton of games. More than just deciding the GOTY, this poll can help us parse all these new games and help find some hidden gems.

Cheers!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's up with that spamming the news?

Anyway, finally!

I was surprised how many games I have played this year, actually. Obviously, most of them I did not.

I just want WotR to lose to anything else, but Archolos was most definitely the best "game" released this year.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Nice to see Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos in the main pool for cRPG of the year. I hope it wins!

Apparently I've played only 4 cRPG's from 2021 but I liked them all!

Wunderbar

Arcane
PwXHlgl.png

Pals, you know what to do.

VUtmxwK.png

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I still remember the mid-2000s, when DU would post a summary of the year and rant on how we only had like 5 RPGs released during the entire year.

This year we have over 150 RPGs in our poll. And I don't mean 100 tiny indies no one played - these are all games with hundreds or thousands of positive reviews on Steam.
You really have no thoughts of your own, do you. Just because there's a ton of shit, doesn't mean there was a single decent RPG in the entire year.

My wife linked me your book recently ("you're into RPGs right? look, here's something that just came out") and I had a really hard time to explain what a gigantic retarded cuck you are, because it's a bit beyond words at this point. Sorry for the negativity.

Eisen

Learned
TBH i've played nothing released in 2021
Edit: Well, except Quake remaster, not a RPG though

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This year we have over 150 RPGs in our poll

yes and 140+ of them are vomit inducing shovelware / pedo shit from japan.
In mid-2000s DU would never posted them in such poll but it is 2022 and it is felipedo that we talking about
But what's the problem with posting them? If they are crap, then they will be downvoted or not voted at all. Nobody forces you to play them in order to vote for other games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Welcome to our anual GOTY awards! This time we only have two categories: RPG of the Year and Best PC Port/Remaster. As usual, Early Access games and console-only games do not count.
Literally unvoteable.

EDIT: Also a bit upset Rance Quest isn't on the list. It's not an amazing rpg or anything, nor is it a super impressive remaster, but if we're putting stuff like loop hero or mass effect remake and mods like archolos on the list...

I played suspiciously many RPGs this year, got to vote on several things.

Last edited:

Alphons

Cipher
Archolos GOTY, Trudograd is decent, but has some problems.

Encased gets 1, instead of making a complete, but shorter game they decided to make a half finished slog, filled with half baked mechanics.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Except Urtuk and tranny wrath i've only played japanese rpg games this year. Considering half of western games i've played this year was shit it looks like smart choice.

ropetight

Savant
Haven't played or tried 90% of this list.
Most of the cRPGs released this year are unfinished or jRPG/mobile shovelware.
Encased, Vagrus and Trudograd showed some potential, rest was disappointing even more.
Some games that are not that bad like Dysmantle or Wildermyth are not RPGs, but I enjoyed them.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

This year we have over 150 RPGs in our poll. And I don't mean 100 tiny indies no one played - these are all games with hundreds or thousands of positive reviews on Steam.
You really have no thoughts of your own, do you. Just because there's a ton of shit, doesn't mean there was a single decent RPG in the entire year.

My wife linked me your book recently ("you're into RPGs right? look, here's something that just came out") and I had a really hard time to explain what a gigantic retarded cuck you are, because it's a bit beyond words at this point. Sorry for the negativity.

It's okay, we all know you're full of shit, so its no surprise that when you open your eyes that's all you see

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
A lot of shovelware in this list, but there were a decent amount of games I liked.
Here is a list of 4/4s I have given:

Vagrus The Riven Realms
Urtuk: The Desolation
Trials of Fire
Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Loop Hero
Gloomhaven
Erannorth Chronicles
Dungeon Encounters
Bravely Default 2
Black Book

Okay year if you are into Steam dumpster diving.

ropetight

Savant
A lot of shovelware in this list, but there were a decent amount of games I liked.
Here is a list of 4/4s I have given:

Vagrus The Riven Realms
Urtuk: The Desolation
Trials of Fire
Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Loop Hero
Gloomhaven
Erannorth Chronicles
Dungeon Encounters
Bravely Default 2
Black Book

Okay year if you are into Steam dumpster diving.

Forgot Solasta - it has great, fun, combat, but lackluster campaign and writing.
Maybe user made content will be better - but, still one of the better ones this year.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Forgot Solasta - it has great, fun, combat, but lackluster campaign and writing.
Maybe user made content will be better - but, still one of the better ones this year.

Given that we only have 4 options I went with a lenient grading scale.
1 - severe dislike
2 - dislike
3 - like
4 - like strongly

Encased, Wildermyth and Wotr got a 3 from me, didn't play Archolos or Trudograd.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Given that we only have 4 options I went with a lenient grading scale.
1 - severe dislike
2 - dislike
3 - like
4 - like strongly

Encased, Wildermyth and Wotr got a 3 from me, didn't play Archolos or Trudograd.

Yeah, I would prefer a meh option

PrK

Savant
Patron
Hearkenwold for KotC2 (v1.21) is the complete module? I'll have to play it after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom