Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

tactical gaming, gazebo, or strategic games
>RPGCodex
>RPG

Talk to me when you've played GOTY i.e Caves of Lore

The only effort you can provide is pushing the button below other people's posts
Another example on the wrong on everything part
Unlike you, I don't cower behind a private profile so you can see the little I react to posts. But can I really expect to see anything of worth from someone who thinks BG3 is the best game in history?

Dr1f7

Scholar
Disappointed in the complete and total disregarde of the pollster to recognize the adult game genre which has seen a huge number of smash hits this year such as:

• AURA: Hentai Cards
  • Magic Pussy
  • Lust Academy 2
  • Paradise Lust
  • Countess in Crimson
  • Peeping Dorm Manager
  • Genesis Order
  • HOROS - Monster Slayer and Lover of Many

Sweeper

Arcane
Is Baldur's Gate 3 actually bad gameplay-wise?
Yes.

Unarmoured Defence (Monk)​

This ability does not stack with
Mage Armour
Mage Armour, Unarmoured Defence (Barbarian) Unarmoured Defence (Barbarian), Draconic Resilience Draconic Resilience, or
Barkskin
Barkskin.
The moment they decided to go with 5E was the moment Baldur's Gate 3 became irredeemable garbage.

Viata

Arcane
Disappointed in the complete and total disregarde of the pollster to recognize the adult game genre which has seen a huge number of smash hits this year such as:

• AURA: Hentai Cards
  • Magic Pussy
  • Lust Academy 2
  • Paradise Lust
  • Peeping Dorm Manager
  • Genesis Order
  • HOROS - Monster Slayer and Lover of Many
To be fair, there was another thread about the list itself and apparently people decided to ignore it and complain about the final list instead.

Modron

Arcane
To be fair, there was another thread about the list itself and apparently people decided to ignore it and complain about the final list instead.
To be really fair it was about tree fiddy days between the anouncement of the final list and the start of voting

Gandalf

Arbiter
"Popular user-defined tags for this product," in your language might tell you something. You can scroll down and see what the developers/publisher listed the game as: "GENRE: ACTION, ADVENTURE."
They didn't translated the user-defined part, but to be honest it makes sense that the word popular suggests user input. I had to scroll down, thanks, I see those tags now.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Is Baldur's Gate 3 actually bad gameplay-wise? I haven't paid any attention to it and only know about the bear memes.

Is it hated because it's mainstream? Because it's shallow/dumbed down? Because it has nothing to do with the first two? Because it's woke? Because it's not made in some former soviet shithole? All of the above?
No, it's not bad gameplay-wise; it's the best RPG ever made, non-ironically. It has the highest production value ever seen in every single aspect, with a lot of care in details and never-before-seen reactivity. The memes are about an infinitesimal small amount of content compared to what the game has to offer. The only real criticism is that it's indeed very woke; however, it never forces anything on you. Then you have the usual Codex schizos who will spam every thread about it. Now it's all fine as long as you are not about to spend money; but then if you are about to buy games , don't believe their lies and go for some garbage indie praised here.
It's hated because it's mainstream and successful, and it's an awesome success story, while many people here have very sad lives, and someone successful and hard worker like Sven is their antithesis.
BG3 isn't for me, but it is obviously the best RPG of the kind it wants to be that has been made so far. Lots of choice and consequence and viable alternate options for resolving quests.

Shaki

Arbiter
Is Baldur's Gate 3 actually bad gameplay-wise? I haven't paid any attention to it and only know about the bear memes.

Is it hated because it's mainstream? Because it's shallow/dumbed down? Because it has nothing to do with the first two? Because it's woke? Because it's not made in some former soviet shithole? All of the above?
No, it's not bad gameplay-wise; it's the best RPG ever made, non-ironically. It has the highest production value ever seen in every single aspect, with a lot of care in details and never-before-seen reactivity.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get that you like fully mocapped and voiced bear sex, it is indeed a high production value game, but why are you retards still lying about the reactivity thing? I understood why people were buying into the hype and spamming this shit before the game was actually released, since the EA was giving a good illusion of many paths being possible, but now after it was proven 1000 times that it all ends up in the same, one linear path, with very minor, mostly flavour changes depending on your choices, why do you still repeat that bullshit claim? The game has less reactivity than even small budget RPGs like Wrathfinder, or decades old Fallout/Arcanum, and there is absolutely nothing "never seen before" there. In terms of reactivity it's Pillars tier, that's it.

You love BG3, cool, not everyone can have a good taste, but at least praise the things that are actually in the game, instead of just making shit up.

raeven

Educated

No, it's not bad gameplay-wise; it's the best RPG ever made, non-ironically. It has the highest production value ever seen in every single aspect, with a lot of care in details and never-before-seen reactivity.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I get that you like fully mocapped and voiced bear sex, it is indeed a high production value game, but why are you retards still lying about the reactivity thing? I understood why people were buying into the hype and spamming this shit before the game was actually released, since the EA was giving a good illusion of many paths being possible, but now after it was proven 1000 times that it all ends up in the same, one linear path, with very minor, mostly flavour changes depending on your choices, why do you still repeat that bullshit claim? The game has less reactivity than even small budget RPGs like Wrathfinder, or decades old Fallout/Arcanum, and there is absolutely nothing "never seen before" there. In terms of reactivity it's Pillars tier, that's it.

You love BG3, cool, not everyone can have a good taste, but at least praise the things that are actually in the game, instead of just making shit up.

BG3 has more reactivity than any game I've played since Fallout 2 and Arcanum. Probably more than Fallout 2 actually - I'd have to play them back to back to be sure. I never completed Arcanum after the computer I was using at the time died, so I can't speak to it definitively as compared to BG3, but I was very impressed with what I saw of the game.

You can fault it for a lot of things, but the level of reactivity in the game is possibly beyond anything I've ever seen. To really see that though you need to play all the way through, because most of the reactivity comes into play in act 3, where you see how the effects of your previous actions play out.

If you had played the game, you would know. Since you haven't, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

The level of reactivity is the main reason I enjoyed the game so much and why I think it is a great game.

Tbh the gay bear and tentacle sex doesn't hurt either, but I admit that is more a matter of personal taste.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
You'll all just have to wait for late 2024 early 2025 when Axioms wins RPGCodex GotY because it has all the things that Codexers always claim they want.

Then we will be able to definitively say BG3 doesn't have the best C&C/reactivity.

Axioms is the RPG the Codex has been waiting for, and it will win RPGCodex GotY in 2024 or 2025.

Dynamic living world, maximum choice and consequence, no graphical frills, can go full combat or no combat character, technically can be a party based RPG, turn based world *and* combat, and it is even unwoke, although that wasn't a design consideration.

Okay, let the rage and denial flow. But I'm right.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
BG3 has a lot of reactivity but not when it comes to things that matter. One ROFL moment is when you actually try to join lord fuckface gortash and he immediately gets ganked by squidbrain. Not to mention that entire super dissapointing "you must fail" sequence where you can roll all the 20s you want but it doesn't matter. The entire ending could count, on launch it was so bugged and barebones it was embarrassing to play through.

Like bros, it was already at the end of the game. All you had to do was write 2-3 different dialogues. I head they had to patch shit in lol.

Do I really care about stupid detail 4223# when le serious main quest gets this shit treatment?

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
I'm pretty positive that we will have very meaningful results after the voting of the "Didn't play of the year Awards".

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
felipepepe
Not sure why repeat the same mistake (1-5 rating scale, instead of 1-4) again this year, when it was admitted post-results last year.

ed8Vnrd.png

Sauce: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=12147
The scale of 1-5 is simply better than 1-4, allows greater nuance in grading.
I’d contest that by stating 1-5 also encourages laziness by giving you the option of just giving something a 3/5 rating “it was ok” if you dont have enough strong feelings about a game to rate it good or bad.

Whereas 1-4 actually forces people to make a stance: is the game good of bad? The 1-4 scale is what made me realise i did not like wasteland 3, because when it came down to it i could not in good faith give it a 3/4.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
One ROFL moment is when you actually try to join lord fuckface gortash and he immediately gets ganked by squidbrain. Not to mention that entire super dissapointing "you must fail" sequence where you can roll all the 20s you want but it doesn't matter.
Yeah, I very much enjoyed the game but both of those things annoyed me a lot, especially the Gortash part. Would it have been that hard to just add him in as a temporary party member for the final fight like Orpheus or the Emperor? It's not like there's any postgame other than the epilogue party so it wouldn't have interfered with anything. Maybe they could even satisfy both complaints by having the brain kill Gortash if you fail but allowing you to distract the brain enough to save him if you pass the checks

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
OK, I will stop bringing up Armored Core 6 and Robocop I guess...
Nah. As long as RoboCop remains absent from the poll then RPGOTY 2023 is fraudulent and meaningless. Sorry but you can't have a legitimate contest without one of the best games of the year. I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't a deliberate attempt at ensuring a BG3/Starfield victory. I know quite a few people here who would have voted favorably for RoboCop.

raeven

Educated
BG3 has a lot of reactivity but not when it comes to things that matter. One ROFL moment is when you actually try to join lord fuckface gortash and he immediately gets ganked by squidbrain. Not to mention that entire super dissapointing "you must fail" sequence where you can roll all the 20s you want but it doesn't matter. The entire ending could count, on launch it was so bugged and barebones it was embarrassing to play through.

Like bros, it was already at the end of the game. All you had to do was write 2-3 different dialogues. I head they had to patch shit in lol.

Do I really care about stupid detail 4223# when le serious main quest gets this shit treatment?
That's a fair critique. Still, the number of ways that you could go about progressing with some key plot points and the degree to which the game recognized and accounted for those choices was impressive - possibly unparalleled. I agree that there were also many cases where it fell flat and that the "evil" ending was less fleshed out than the "good" ending. There is also very little in the way of faction mechanics which is disappointing given all the other things the game succeeds at.

I definitely agree that the level of bugginess was out of control at launch. As high as any game I've seen, even cyberpunk 2077 at launch, although unlike CP2077 the underlying mechanics were in place, at least.

I didn't even play the game until patch 5, and after reading the notes for patch 6, I'm convinced I should have waited a year before touching it. It's good that it's improving, but very sad how much it had to fix.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All you posers whining about which should get 1/5: is it BG3, or Starfield? Diablo 4?

All you're telling me is you didn't play/back Arcadian Atlas. That thing is true dog shit.

:rpgcodex:
I gave my impressions from the demo in June 2023. It seems like they didn't address any issues.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
JA3, Colony Ship, Caves of Lore, CP2077 Phantom Liberty. Haven't played anything else, might play Wartales or BG3 in future, but that's a stretch. Its obvious that BG3 will win, the production value and liberal shit is right up the alley of the codex.

Lhynn

Arcane
Dont be butthurt vatnik, BG3 managed to make a game with good combat and no trash encounters. That alone sets it apart.

raeven

Educated
JA3, Colony Ship, Caves of Lore, CP2077 Phantom Liberty. Haven't played anything else, might play Wartales or BG3 in future, but that's a stretch. Its obvious that BG3 will win, the production value and liberal shit is right up the alley of the codex.

Yes, because when I think of discourse on the codex "extremely liberal" is exactly what comes to mind

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Yes, because when I think of discourse on the codex "extremely liberal" is exactly what comes to mind
Literally a thread right now where prominent dexers are trying to discredit the civil rights act. So yeah, not exactly a liberal website.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom