Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

raeven

Educated
Reflexively shitting on a game you haven't played because it goes against forum consensus is the most newfagian move ever.
FTFY.

Is that what's really going on? That makes a lot of sense actually. I used to lurk here before a certain gaming related scandal and shit was not remotely this bad back then.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Reflexively shitting on a game you haven't played because it goes against forum consensus is the most codexian move ever.

You all talk like you're the bleeding edge of independent thought but in reality you're just as scared as anyone of rocking the boat of your chosen tribe. Ooooooohh what if you try it and you enjoy parts of it? Better keep that to yourself and not let anyone know!!
You're right, everyone should be a fag like you whose only contribution to GRPG is shilling BG3 and Disco Elysium.

Teach me, oh master of Incline
Don't forget, before then people used to get mad at me for shilling jagged alliance.
Sorry I only discuss RPGs here

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's kind of sad that in "le heug year for RPGs" my most-liked ones were a pixel game made by one guy in his basement (Caves of Lore) and a tactical game that wasn't even included in General RPG here (JA3).

I would've rated Rogue Trader higher than neutral, but seeing as how I'm still stuck in chapter 1 waiting for Owlcat to sort their shit out, that's not gonna happen. Maybe it'll be finished in 2025.

Edgetard

Educated
i just had a female coworker talk about how great BG3 was
Based, post pics
all you need to know is fat millennial woman (2nd generation russian immigrant too based slavs XD) im not going to let the codex of all places be the reason I get fired
Non-1st gen "slav" in the west = 99.9% jew
probably her family immigrated when the soviet union was still a thing but her name doesnt scream shekelbergsteinwitz

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Caves of Lore definitely deserves the love. The exploration alone puts most of that "list" to shame. As far as 95% of that "list"... :prosper: Never heard of most of them... are they some form of console port or Asian shovel-ware? I'm being serious, no snark in that question. Also, I did play (or tried to) both 2077 and Starfield and they both were not good.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Got more votes in then usual but only 6 ages got the 5/5 from me, it did everything it said it would do on the tin and i encountered 0 problems with it whilst having maximum fun, any criticisms i have like the streamlining of clan management compared to og game seems petty.
Otherwise in terms of the "big" rpgs i've actually played, if you can excuse colony ship counting as such, my final verdict at time of release is Colony ship> Bg3 > Rogue Trader.

Colony ship wins by virtue of working with 0 bugs and i had a brilliant time with it even if it felt like i've uncovered every secret by my 2nd run but the 1st run was chef's kiss. Criticisms include a rushed 2nd half with locales that weren't really fleshed out but overall the setting, story and mechanics won me over and i simply wished there was more of it which is a good sign.
Bg3 despite whatever criticisms one can make about its writing or story, has a lot of strengths that can't be denied such as being the deus ex of rpgs in term of combat design, and really only reason why i didn't just give it the top score is because the last act just completely fell apart and was bugged af, not unlike....
Rogue trader. JFC, except the bugs here ain't the final third of the game but a constant for the whole run. Replayed the game 3 times, because 3 times encountered run ending bugs. Dialogue bugs galore, especially unforgivable when it comes to companion related content. I have no doubt in 2-3 years time and after dlc i will look upon it more favorably but as it stands even by owlcat standards this was a bad launch. I've played both previous owlcat games at launch and it was never as bad as with rogue trader which clearly needed another year in the oven.

Shame Robocop Rogue City isn't in, ah well.

Dark Envoy was lucky to get 3/5 from me, in truth it's probably my biggest disappointment. The dev's previous game, Tower of Time, was great because of its hand crafted content and storyline yet for Dark Envoy the devs scrapped that in favor of rng dungeon crawling with fixed dungeons for the story missions and it's really baffling to me why they went this route. I gave up about 6 hours in so maybe game gets really good after that but the first impression was poor enough i decided to play something else instead and maybe come back to this later.

My time at Sandrock is great if you're into those kind of building lifesims. I'd rate the previous game as the better title currently but the devs have a good track record of post release support and doubt that will change.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I find this poll very problematic and ableist.
I have not played any of the games in the poll, and yet, I'm encouraged to vote for "didn't play". I think me and many others would appreciate if our votes counted even for games we haven't played.

Thank you for being so understanding.

Sigourn - He/him

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Codex-Monkey-s-Paw.png

Jagged Alliance 3 is actually good, though. :positive:

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Please, include the following text in the opening post:
"Colon Shit or Bear's Gape 3? Which is better and why? Discuss!"

We have a bad reputation to uphold.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why do you people even care if there's shovelware on the list. It doesn't matter at all. Who gives a shit.
Every year I look at these lists and go, "Am I missing something here?" I've not seen or heard of these and wonder, "That many cRPGs were released this year? Really?"
The simple answer is really yes. The amount of games released per year is massively higher than it has been in the past, and so is the amount of cRPGs. No single person can really have a good overview of all of them, unlike 20 years or so ago

Viata

Arcane
And that is why it's sad to know that somewhere out there perhaps my favorite cRPG of the 20s has been released (or will), but the dev forgot that marketing is very important to make people know about their game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom