Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
So my niggas, explain how do I buy FFXVI for PC so I can play it too.
Good question, I dunno.

Have you perhaps figured out why GOTY pertains to PC only, my nigga?
They neglected RoboCop and Zelda which are both ARPGs and both on PC. Your fight for Final Fagacy is a futile endeavor.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
to buy them even a PS5.
Indeed, I'm still collecting money to buy PS5 and play all these wonderful exclusive RPGs.

e6a.png
The list has expanded to 13, not all of which are out yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games
A gathering of remakes, superhero slop, weeb shit, coomer bait, proofs of concept, the zoomer version of Twisted Metal and a bad Dead Space ripoff where you're a fireman instead of an engineer.
Tbf the Demon's Souls remake trumps almost everything. Also Bloodborne should count as a PS5 exclusive RPG. Also trumps everything.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Tbf the Demon's Souls remake trumps almost everything. Also Bloodborne should count as a PS5 exclusive RPG. Also trumps everything.
You can get the original Demon Souls plus up to a hundred other games on modded PS3s for about 200 quid, even if you're a dedicated console peasant it's pretty much never worth it to buy a new console when you can buy an old gen console and its entire library in a bundle so cheaply.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Calm your butthurts. Amass them so you can release them in full potential once results are out.
But those results are too easily predictable.
even if number 1 is quite predictable this year, I'm curious about the next positions on the list.

My predictions

1. BG3
2. JA3
3. Caves of Lore

The following spots followed by some variation of Colony Ship, Space Wreck, Rogue Trader and maybe a joke or sleeper vote.

Starfield won't be top 10, maybe not even top 20. Unless it's the joke vote.
The fact that the Codex and the Watch are both sleeping on Moonring is the biggest proof of decline on these forums.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Small dlc for old RPGs shouldn't be included in the list, like Underrail: Heavy duty. Major expansions on the other hand, I don't mind.

Phantom liberty was my pick

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We just don't care about roguelikes, that's all.
It's an Ultima clone, not a roguelike. It takes a lot from the UI and combat of modern roguelikes, but dying just reloads your last save.
I checked after making the post and I actually had it installed, but I think I was waiting to hear what others thought of it before trying it out myself, and then no one ever did. Like Roguey points out, the random dungeons is a bummer, but I was under the impression it was all proc gen which it apparently is not. I fired it up and played for a couple of minutes and it seems interesting. Thanks for the reminder. :salute:

In fact, the poll reminded me to give Dead Monarchy a proper go as well. Screw the naysayers, the inclusion of every vaguely RPG-related game under the sun is a good thing.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
to buy them even a PS5.
Indeed, I'm still collecting money to buy PS5 and play all these wonderful exclusive RPGs.

e6a.png
The list has expanded to 13, not all of which are out yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games
A gathering of remakes, superhero slop, weeb shit, coomer bait, proofs of concept, the zoomer version of Twisted Metal and a bad Dead Space ripoff where you're a fireman instead of an engineer.
Five of those thirteen games are coming out on PC too, albeit at a later date

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think Phantom Liberty might find its way into top 3.
Yes. Amazing expansion. The original game was okay for what it was, but Phantom Liberty is something else. I gave it 1/5. As fun as Starfield, and it seems they made out of their action-RPG a straightforward arcade shooter. I quit and refunded after that AWESOME president-boeing-mech-shooting part. Too awesome for me.

Still better than Stray Gods though.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Calm your butthurts. Amass them so you can release them in full potential once results are out.
But those results are too easily predictable.
even if number 1 is quite predictable this year, I'm curious about the next positions on the list.

My predictions

1. BG3
2. JA3
3. Caves of Lore

The following spots followed by some variation of Colony Ship, Space Wreck, Rogue Trader and maybe a joke or sleeper vote.

Starfield won't be top 10, maybe not even top 20. Unless it's the joke vote.
The fact that the Codex and the Watch are both sleeping on Moonring is the biggest proof of decline on these forums.

I played and liked it, I believe I put it at a 4 but I fail to see how it could ever become high in these polls. It's a niches niche product for a niche audience and tbh I also have played better games. as it's free people should indeed give it a try though. It's a shame if RPG enthusiasts aren't even willing to try something good for free, in that I agree.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think Phantom Liberty might find its way into top 3.
Yes. Amazing expansion. The original game was okay for what it was, but Phantom Liberty is something else. I gave it 1/5. As fun as Starfield, and it seems they made out of their action-RPG a straightforward arcade shooter. I quit and refunded after that AWESOME president-boeing-mech-shooting part. Too awesome for me.

Still better than Stray Gods though.
Stray Gods must have really gotten under your skin :)

As for Phantom Liberty, after the introductory phase which is indeed very linear, the expansion opens up and you get to explore another part of Night City with some high quality quests. The main plotline might not be to everyone's taste (basically everyone in this story is an asshole, some more egoistic, some with a feeling they're doing shitty things for a greater good), but it's worth it for the side content alone.

Ladonna

Arcane
Well, I voted for the one game I played from last year (Caves of Lore).

What a year.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well, I voted for the one game I played from last year (Caves of Lore).

What a year.
Well, the fact you played 1 game from 2023 tells more about you than about 2023.
To be fair, Ladonna might have other reasons not to play multiple 50-100h video games a year besides being edgy.
Space Wreck can be beaten in 10 hours... several times.
Heads Will Roll took me 22 hours and I reached 7 endings out of 11.
Colony Ship takes less than 20 hours to beat.
Phantom Liberty - 20-30 hours.

Sure, BG3 and Starfield are large games, but there were many shorter titles released last year.

People have their reasons for lack of free time. But then they should not blame 'the year' (suggesting lack of quality games to play) for their individual circumstances.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom