Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Diplomacy

Tigranes

Arcane
We can have a nice spilling of beans at end of game - then take all those grievances with us into game two!

Tigranes

Arcane
Spring 1906: The Great Westward Sail

game-history-164180-10-R.png

Fall 1906: Macron Blamed Again For Chronic Traffic Jams, No Solution In Sight

game-history-164180-11-R.png

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
The posts have died down, but the game certainly hasn't. I figured I might as well contribute. Let's recap a few years quickly:

Spring 1909: the great retreat from Germany

game-history-164180-17-O.png

Fall 1909: Neapolitan Knödel

game-history-164180-17-R.png

Spring 1910: Anschluss 2.0

game-history-164180-18-R.png

Fall 1910: Italia shafted, tensions in the North Sea

game-history-164180-19-R.png

Spring 1911: Battle of Britain while the Piefke begin to outdo Napoleon

game-history-164180-21-O.png

Fall 1911: William Wallace reincarnated as German emperor, more confusion in the Balkans and Anatolia

game-history-164180-21-R.png

Tigranes

Arcane
1912 Spring: Syria Remains Free, Glory To Syria

game-history-164180-22-R.png

1912 Fall: Yep Syria still free

game-history-164180-23-R.png

1913 Spring: The Orient Express is on hold, sir, please wait

game-history-164180-24-R.png

1913 Fall: Climate change causing widespread fires across continent, Fuhrer confirmed to be on secret holiday in the Seychelles

game-history-164180-25-R.png

Tigranes

Arcane
1914 Spring: syria no

game-history-164180-26-R.png

1914 Fall: The Austrian Repenetration

game-history-164180-27-R.png

1915 Spring: The Sauerkraut Roundtable

game-history-164180-28-R.png

1915 Fall: Fuhrer please, all that yelling is not good for your blood pressure

game-history-164180-29-R.png

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
It's OVER for Krautcels! I'll leave it to someone else to post the final maps. Yes, I was Germany and I've just accepted the F/A/I draw. A look at the map should explain why.

I can't be too downhearted about how it ended. I had a decent start, a smashing midgame, but by the final third I had made a halfhearted stab at France and too much shit going on in life (and some shitposting here) to even bother negotiating properly. I had lost interest. I don't mean this as a cop-out but just the reality that by the last one-and-a-half week, all I did was log on in the evening, a few hours before deadline, and send in orders. This achieved tremendous success against Austria for a while, until it stopped doing so, since obviously these guys weren't going to give me the solo just because I'm such a nice guy. So if I were one of the others, I would have ganged up on me too. The only one I hadn't stabbed by that point (apart from some skirmishes) was Italy, but he had no reason to let me stay strong.

Part of me would have found it interesting to see what would have happened if I had gotten eliminated and the other three had continued to fight each other, but it was not to be. Continuing beyond the point of reason until my last centre would not have made an enjoyable game for anyone. In truth the most astute diplomats and strategists have survived and achieved a creditable draw. I considered myself to be among that group for about 2/3 of the game, but in the end I couldn't keep this up. I can only congratulate the winners. And also salute the nations that got eliminated weeks ago, some of whom were playing Dip for the first time if I recall correctly. I hope you'll play again despite being eliminated in the opening phases or the early mid-game.

I don't yet know if I'll be part of a future game myself, it depends a bit on when you guys want to start it. I'll have some more time for this kind of thing in the next couple of months, and in any case a new gamestart with a new country, and the slate wiped clean by the anonymity of the games, could be a good spur to action. For now, thanks to everyone for their participation! I'm sure we can do the postmortem for a bit and then move on.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So you were the loyal confederate turned not so loyal enemy of the proud nation of France! France was me. By the way, I've decided to believe that you're lying and that we turned the tables on you despite your best efforts.

That is one fun game, and I'm definitely up for round two. Even though it probably dragged on for a bit too long I had fun all the way, except for that sophomore slump in the Mediterranean trenches. Italy knows what I'm talking about.
Since it was my first game my instinct was to play it safe, which worked out fairly well in the end, even though in hindsight I think I'd have done better by playing more aggressively at certain key moments. I have a feeling that a better/more experienced player would've gotten more out of France than a hard-fought three-way draw. Next time I'll burn out sooner than fade away, that's for sure.

Anyway, I tip my baguette to you all.

Viata

Arcane
Since Lent starts tomorrow, I'll not be online until it ends, so I'll not be able to join another round. Either way, I hope you guys have fun if you do play again. Also, do not trust Turkey. :shredder:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I knew Tigranes was Italy, you lovely backstabbing shit. :P

Much love to all who played, it was certainly a swing here and there. Austria was a hard fight, and honestly the only reason I survived is Germany's and Italy's early game love.

Sadly, my brief attempt to dominate Germany under my will failed, and if Italy wasn't so cooperative in the finals, I would have surely perished.

Still, a fun game! I would certainly love to play again as a different country.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, I was Italy, the backstabbing shit, and my entire game was waiting for a good backstab opp and then fucking it up

Early game I mostly spent thinking about how much I fucking hate playing Italy. You have to enlist a strong ally to get anything done, and it was tough in an anonymous game. Ultimately, the early offensives on Austria (MediantSamuel) gave me a path to survival, as he was desperate enough to trust my proposals implicitly. We were able to schedule some weird late-derivative Lepanto and, after a few delays, take out Turkey.

My original plan was to backstab Austria much earlier and carve him up with Russia (Viata), but he seemed reluctant to fully cooperate and also he kept making some weird ass moves, then seemed to give up. I decided (wrongly?) that he couldn't be relied upon and had to work with Austria, while the Franco-German alliance was succeeding over West.

And then I decided to be BFF with Austria 4eva, but we eventually seemed to hit a bottleneck: Italy fighting France in the Western med is the most annoying and pointless trench warfare ever, and the tiny bottlenecks around the Alps seemed unsuitable for a proper German offensive. I worried that we would not be able to quickly defeat Germany and get bogged down, and also that I would quickly end up the smallest of the 4 nations and the easiest to turn on. I resolved that if someone must stab to change the game it should be me. Thus the glorious snek stabs of 1908.

Having stabbed Austria, I thought France and Germany would be all aboard. Germany surely has no sane reason to fight a faraway Italy, and would use the chance to eat into the plump underbelly of the Austrian menace. Alas, apparently the Westerners thought that Austria was doomed and Italy was now the next great WMD, and turned on me too. Weird, because Austria alone could more or less hold his own against me.

I knew I would die and Germany would win, so basically every turn I kept scheming to try and persuade Francos and Austrians. I tried to hold on to the key homelands and retreat to defensible positions. Ultimately, I think the sheer visual effect of large areas like Moscow makes a difference: by 1914 it looks as if Germany has conquered half of Europe (not actually the case), and I could make amends with the now truly besieged Austria. After that, I think it was everyone's determination to finally end the game that sealed the alliance. I sure could have stabbed Austria with a 3-SC take otherwise...

The morale of the story is that MediantSamuel and I are great friends, right? Right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom