Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Viata

Arcane
I can see that. Gayming Awards, however, is more important so the Codex GOTY mention can wait.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Great, so the game is still not good even if you were to cut the companions out.
Is that so?
Here are some facts: Games consist of multiple parts. Those parts come together to form a whole.
So let's look at the most important parts and come to a conclusion. Let's additional be as negative as possible while still maintaing a semblance of reality.

Story/writing - damn wokesters yadda yadda trannies argh bla bla end of the west bla bla. Chapter 3 is a complete mess. 1/5
Graphics - Too generic, but competently crafted. 3/5
Audio - Okay, I guess. Voice acting is a mixed bag. 3/5
Combat/Gameplay - Tons of options in combat but DnD5 kinda sucks. Too many non-choices in dialogues. 2.5/5

.... how do you end up with a 1/5 with that? What mental gymnastics are you pulling?
Hell, if you can bring some actual arguments and not just culture war bullshit, I'd grudgingly accept a 2/5. But 1/5. Nah. Everyone knows that's just a troll vote. And I'd hope that as a community we'd like to do better than troll voting, but hey... this is the Codex, after all. I guess this is to be expected :lol:
The problem is that BG3's writing, characters, VA etc are all very prominent. They're unignorable.
Planescape and Fallout's mediocre or even bad combat doesn't get in the way of the good parts of those games - you blow shit up with crude tactical decisions leading to cool explosions. Then you swiftly continue onto the other things the game has to offer.
This isn't the case with BG3

Hellraiser

Arcane
No, you can't just disregard major aspects of games. Graphics and audio may not matter to you personally (which I call BS on, you're just trying to make a lost case here), but they definitely matter to most people, including most professionals, critics and, well, everyone really, not just the plebs.

Yes I can, because it's utterly meaningless to the gameplay experience unless it gets in the way, while also being highly subjective and also greatly varying depending on what the developer can afford and also wants to do. If you want to go down the foolish rabbit hole of trying to establish a "fair and objective" (lol) means of rating games with a number to make some kind of comparison or obtain "useful data" (again lol at the mere idea), you need to go with various band-aid solutions to account for what kind of graphics are reasonable to expect from a developer, given the size/budget/resources they have available. All of which will be flawed in one way or another, introducing further inaccuracies in the results.

That last part is appeal to popularity, that's Roguey's turf. "Shit is great, a million flies can't be wrong" or how it goes.

disregard objective qualities like a coherent art style, audio and atmosphere.

None of those are objective, it is all a matter of taste. Unless you can put a ruler or some other measuring device to it and get the same result regardless who takes the measurement, the matter is purely subjective.

Now I know everyone here is autistic in some degree or another, but after nearly 20 years on the codex or discussing games (and their ratings) online in general, I would expect people to realize how futile theorycrafting "the one proper way to rate games and compare them" is. Every rating, positive or negative, for any game ever made, will have someone else call it unfair for whatever subjective reason, this will always distort whatever conclusions based on that data that one would like to make. Even the tagline on the codex used to be something along the lines of "chances are whatever you like is shit" eons ago.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was you who said you find Pillars of Eternity (1) more fun to play than Arcanum. So much for your taste and your "seriousness".
I wouldn't give Arcanum a 1.

I would like a source for this
0.gif
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/rpg-codex-review-divinity-original-sin-2.120693/post-5518093

Mortmal

Arcane
Mortmal said:
I'll look elsewhere to find out if Jagged Alliance is truly a good game or if we're in for another meme like Elex, as rpgcodex credibility when it comes to rpg is zero. [sauce]
Mortmal said:
They've always disliked Larian; that's old news. However, the dislike has intensified, especially since the game has become hugely successful. I wouldn't even say it's the best of the last decade; it's simply the best ever made in my opinion. RPGCodex has shifted into an alt-right, anti-woke forum completely. [sauce]
Mortmal said:
the majority of posters are from the Gamergate crowd or similar. [sauce]

You appear upset, Mortmal. Maybe you should stick to a more welcoming, less toxic, less bigoted, more trans-friendly community, such as RPGWatch?
Okay, I promise I'll do that the day you write a quality review.

8gzp8n.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you think the codex isn't just another echo chamber
Yeah, so much an echo chamber the first place for this GOTY was the one everyone wanted, right?
Not every echo chamber is the same, haven't you figured that out yet? This one wanted to virtue signal that woke content isn't welcome on the codex, and what did they manage? 2nd place. It's amusing
So not an echo chamber.
It is, an echo chamber is usually about the people who are talking loudest and who think they are all there is to a place, not taking into account the silent lurkers. The silent majority gave BG3 the edge. But if you think it's the people talking, go to the main BG3 thread, it's the same 5 people complaining about the game for 800 pages. Perfect echo chamber, no useful discussion there

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
You are a butthurt deluded fanboy, with terrible taste on top of that.
This has been happening for years ago, and in previous years people were also allowed to vote multiple times as it used a shitty google form without any tie to your rpgcodex username.
Are you trying to make a point here or are you just ranting?
If it is the former, I'd suggest you try again, because you are not making a whole lot of sense.

The point is 5/5 means perfection which is impossible but just an ideal to strive for, so whoever voted 5/5 BG3 needs to be excluded because either it's retarded, a shit eater, a troll or a combination.

Only then we could have a fair result.

Beans00

Augur
Great, so the game is still not good even if you were to cut the companions out.

.... how do you end up with a 1/5 with that? What mental gymnastics are you pulling?
Hell, if you can bring some actual arguments and not just culture war bullshit, I'd grudgingly accept a 2/5. But 1/5. Nah. Everyone knows that's just a troll vote. And I'd hope that as a community we'd like to do better than troll voting, but hey... this is the Codex, after all. I guess this is to be expected :lol:

Well look dude, I'm going to give you some good advice here.

You could always cry about it some more.

Because JAGGED ALLIANCE 3 is the rpgcodex 2023 game of the year.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Swen: "I disagree with the negative revio of the game I made and which brought me lots of monies because what else do you expect me to say"

Mortmal: "OMG SWEN CALLED IT TOTAL SHIT"

It's k tho, I realise that you're so deluded/butthurt/stupid that you actually think my revios are paid off, so such reactions are only natural.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I wouldn't give Arcanum a 1.
im surprised by number of people this year, who are proud of not playing a game, but voting on it based on few yt vids.
But only for bg3, they dont appear to be watching space wreck in order to rate it

Mortmal

Arcane
It's interesting to see Konjad defending Codex's honor on RPG Watch, and people there just not getting it.
Post link pliz
https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/rpg-codex-goty-2023-results.57851/

Of course faggot Mortmal got bullied here, so he went to RPGWatch to cry how awful and toxic and worthless Codex is :smug:
Nope, I was replying to HiddenX, who no longer posts here, by the way. That statement is incorrect. People don't love Jagged Alliance 3 here most voters never played it; they hate on BG3. Now I'm not even sure if it's worth trying or if it's another Elex.

Beans00

Augur
The rpgwatch might actually be more dead then rpghq. Nothing against the watch, never registered there or really browsed it but holy it looks like NMA tier activity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom