Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2023: Results & Cool Graphs

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

What exactly are you disagreeing with thesheeep ? Please explain to me why people not enjoying this content and thus Voting on it is wrong.
Anyone who played BG3 (or any other game) is entitled to give it 1. I reserve such grade for utterly worthless and broken titles, but everyone has different tastes.

However numerous people admitted to gaving 1 to games they did not play and that's simply wrong.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The number of average votes per voter is 25,5. Its pretty clear that barely anyone here plays that many games and that most of the votes are by retards with second hand opinions. The list with the individual user votes is somewhat useful, its just a shame that many users that actually play games are missing.
Playing 100+ games a year is an absurd expectation, let alone playing 100+ RPGs. Plus most people don't just exclusively play new releases. So it shouldn't be a surprised there's "only" 25.5 votes per voter (I guarantee you the average player has not even finished 25 2023 releases, not even close).
You misunderstood me. I absolutely don't think or expect that people play 100 games, I meant exactly the opposite. The 25,5 is surprisingly high. That would mean that the average voter has finished a rpg from this year every two weeks on average. I don't doubt that there are a few people here who may manage that many games or even more, but I find it unlikely for an average, based on my general impression of forum activity.

That's a wrong interpretation of what 25.5 means; it actually means the number of average votes per game is 25.5 votes.
It's a rather useless data on its own, as popular games will have a lot more votes while obscure ones very little.

The median number of game votes by Kodexers who voted, is 6 games.
Using Median instead of Average, as it's less affected by dishonest votes (FWIW, average is 9.6 games, many thanks to Hellraiser & racofer). :M

Whether Kodexers 'on average' really have played 6 2023 listed games by 15 Feb 2024 is a question that cannot be reliably answered but what it can be interpreted, is:
Kodex voters 'on average' has a total of 6 (out of 162) 2023 game impressions from 'what they have played, watching let's play videos and hearsays'.
I am an idiot and you are correct. I thought that number was votes per voter and not per game. Thank you for pointing out the proper numbers. Are the average and median votes per voter listed in the excel file? I still fail at finding them, and I am too lazy to do it myself.

EDIT:
I checked the numbers out of embarrassment, and the average number of votes per voter is indeed 9.6, and the median 6.0. My former remarks are nonsense.

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

What exactly are you disagreeing with thesheeep ? Please explain to me why people not enjoying this content and thus Voting on it is wrong.
Anyone who played BG3 (or any other game) is entitled to give it 1. I reserve such grade for utterly worthless and broken titles, but everyone has different tastes.

However numerous people admitted to gaving 1 to games they did not play and that's plain wrong.
It's really hard to gauge though, who has or hasn't played the game.

This is also debatable. If a certain amount of people who are eligible to Vote decide to not play a game because of content like this I see no issue with them expressing this via their Vote. I think it is reasonable for people of a community to Vote in a way that influences outward representation of the Community. In other words, it's completely understandable for the community to not want the RPGCodex to embrace a game with such content as the game of the year.

If that were the case you would damn them to just be passive, I don't see how that is reasonable. It's just another way of gaming the system (in a way you would prefer)

EDIT: Infinitron Lord_Potato I wonder, my wife voted for the "Die Urbanen - Die Hip-hop Partei" (The Urbans - The Hip-hop party) last election, even though it was clear that those would not ever reach a % to get anywhere but she thougt it would be preferable than voting for one of the parties that would and also not Voting.

Do you think this is a valid expression of Voter behavior? Because it is frankly the same.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Because you have to have brainrot if you think something that doesn't even affect the vast majority of the game and is largely optional to boot (just use mercs instead of companions for example) should have such a significant impact on a game's score as to lower it from a deserved 3-5/5 (debatable range) to a 1/5 (absurd).
No matter what one thinks of the companions' horniness or parts of the writing, BG3 is not a 1/5. That's emotional bullshit overwriting objectivity, people who voted that way know this and did it anyway - that's an issue.

In addition, voting on a game you didn't even play should be straight up forbidden, but that is of course nigh impossible to check, so... no real solution here. I mean, some people came forward having voted 1/5 despite never having played the game. Those people's votes should simply be removed from the poll and they should be barred from voting for a year or two.

There is of course also the possibility to clean the results, removing obvious nonsense-voters (one game 5/5 all other "contenders" 1/5 just to try and troll around). Not sure how much this was done in the results.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Tbh given how close the results are, i actually blame modders and journos for tilting the results enough that bg3 missed out on the top spot.

This is the price of banning newtonian mods and pearl clutching over sexy shadowheart appearance changers.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Because you have to have brainrot if you think something that doesn't even affect the vast majority of the game and is largely optional to boot (just use mercs instead of companions for example) should have such a significant impact on a game's score as to lower it from a deserved 3-5/5 (debatable range) to a 1/5 (absurd).
No matter what one thinks of the companions' horniness or parts of the writing, BG3 is not a 1/5. That's emotional bullshit overwriting objectivity, people who voted that way know this and did it anyway - that's an issue.

In addition, voting on a game you didn't even play should be straight up forbidden, but that is of course nigh impossible to check, so... no real solution here. I mean, some people came forward having voted 1/5 despite never having played the game. Those people's votes should simply be removed from the poll and they should be barred voting for a year or two.

There is of course also the possibility to clean the results, removing obvious nonsense-voters (one game 5/5 all other "contenders" 1/5 just to try and troll around). Not sure how much this was done in the results.

You are a butthurt deluded fanboy, with terrible taste on top of that.
This has been happening for years, and in previous years people were also allowed to vote multiple times as it used a shitty google form without any tie to your rpgcodex username. So you can argue this is the most sincere and accurate poll so far.

17609.jpg

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are a butthurt deluded fanboy, with terrible taste on top of that.
This has been happening for years ago, and in previous years people were also allowed to vote multiple times as it used a shitty google form without any tie to your rpgcodex username.
Are you trying to make a point here or are you just ranting?
If it is the former, I'd suggest you try again, because you are not making a whole lot of sense.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron

In addition, voting on a game you didn't even play should be straight up forbidden, but that is of course nigh impossible to check, so... no real solution here. I mean, some people came forward having voted 1/5 despite never having played the game. Those people's votes should simply be removed from the poll and they should be barred from voting for a year or two.

Great, so the game is still not good even if you were to cut the companions out.

But you are suggesting that I would have to cut out penis and vagina selection outside of sex, Pronouns and body type, multiple instances of degeneracy outside of companions, trannification of most females and cut half the story out by playing without the companions and still think its not a 1/5, jesus what mental gymnastics.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Tbh given how close the results are, i actually blame modders and journos for tilting the results enough that bg3 missed out on the top spot.

This is the price of banning newtonian mods and pearl clutching over sexy shadowheart appearance changers.

This seems to be correct, without the typical culture war nonsense by the wokesters more people would have Voted positively.

It's so fucking Ironic that BG 3 will win the Game of the year on RPGhq, I'm so laughing my ass off.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Abysmally utterly shit writing which infuses absolute everything in the game, like the corporate generic artstyle, makes immersion impossible (ie makes it non-functional as a role-playing game) unless you have garbo shit tier taste and no culture.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It's not just the companions. It's the "please sir may I have some more" tielfling orphans, and... well I stopped playing not long after that cringe so I don't have other examples to hand, but I'm sure there are dozens. Hundreds, even.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Great, so the game is still not good even if you were to cut the companions out.
Is that so?
Here are some facts: Games consist of multiple parts. Those parts come together to form a whole.
So let's look at the most important parts and come to a conclusion. Let's additional be as negative as possible while still maintaing a semblance of reality.

Story/writing - damn wokesters yadda yadda trannies argh bla bla end of the west bla bla. Chapter 3 is a complete mess. 1/5
Graphics - Too generic, but competently crafted. 3/5
Audio - Okay, I guess. Voice acting is a mixed bag. 3/5
Combat/Gameplay - Tons of options in combat but DnD5 kinda sucks. Too many non-choices in dialogues. 2.5/5

.... how do you end up with a 1/5 with that? What mental gymnastics are you pulling?
Hell, if you can bring some actual arguments and not just culture war bullshit, I'd grudgingly accept a 2/5. But 1/5. Nah. Everyone knows that's just a troll vote. And I'd hope that as a community we'd like to do better than troll voting, but hey... this is the Codex, after all. I guess this is to be expected :lol:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Grauken we need the second place winner meme again.
k8XZOl5.png

this meme cracks me up every time I look at it

I don't mind JA3 winning, this side was always 50% RPG discussion and 50% shitposting.

That said, I can't wait for the influx of new members for whom BG3 was the foundational RPG experience. Things will get lively

Serus

Arcane
Patron

In addition, voting on a game you didn't even play should be straight up forbidden, but that is of course nigh impossible to check, so... no real solution here. I mean, some people came forward having voted 1/5 despite never having played the game. Those people's votes should simply be removed from the poll and they should be barred voting for a year or two.

You don't take into account that other people may have different criteria for a computer game that yourself. We don't even have a CRPG definition let alone objective criteria by which to assess one so how can you claim what score is rational and what isn't? Someone could make a claim that BG3, even if considered a good game, objectively has major flaws and does not deserve a 5/5 so all 5/5 are not legit. Then only 4/5 and 3/5 are serious votes worth considering. That is absurd but it the exact same line of reasoning as yours.

On another note: how many people have given BG3 vote of 5/5 because they had hoped for the butthurt or expected the 1/5 and tried to preemptively counter it? How many? I don't know, perhaps very few, perhaps none, perhaps an amount significant enough. Do you know?

In addition, explain me that: how is that 11% of voters gave negative (1/5 or 2/5) score of to JA3? Considering the fact it is a GotY and should only get 3-5/5 according to your logic. Let me suggest an answer - maybe because all this are perfectly normal things to happen?

As to voting without playing, it happens almost every year. Sometimes it might be worse, sometimes better but it always does. It is slightly offset by the numbers of votes contributing to the final score and place but in the end, it is part of voting. And we still don't have an answer: how many people gave 5/5 to BG3 without playing.

For the record, I didn't have any sex with a bear in my life so I don't know how good it is hence I didn't vote.

Mortmal

Arcane

This seems to be correct, without the typical culture war nonsense by the wokesters more people would have Voted positively.

It's so fucking Ironic that BG 3 will win the Game of the year on RPGhq, I'm so laughing my as off.
Ironic as rpgHQ is really a sister site , can you even tell them apart?

Er7U8vl.jpeg

XAwNsjD.jpeg

But one is clearly a lot more successful!

Shaki

Arbiter
I don't mind JA3 winning, this side was always 50% RPG discussion and 50% shitposting.

That said, I can't wait for the influx of new members for whom BG3 was the foundational RPG experience. Things will get lively
People like that will land on reddit or Resetera, not here. Someone for whom BG3 was "foundational experience", will get filtered from Codex after reading for 2 minutes and already seeing 20 posts about jews, trannies and niggers destroying gaming.

Modron

Arcane
Esoteric Ebb and Citizen Sleeper as well. Heartless Lullaby which won that VTM contest and was meant to be upgraded to a full game. I'm sure there's a ton on itch.io. Gamedec's also in a similar space as a narrative RPG.
Don't forget Broken Roads and there are more straightforward adventure games taking liberties from DE like Let Bions Be Bygones as well.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

People like that will land on reddit or Resetera, not here. Someone for whom BG3 was "foundational experience", will get filtered from Codex after reading for 2 minutes and already seeing 20 posts about jews, trannies and niggers destroying gaming.
Lol, that's what you wish

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom