Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Why wasn't there a 2023 RPGCodex GOTY?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's delusional to think BG3 won't win rpgoty.

Who cares?

Previous GOTYs:

Disco Elysium - barely a game
Witcher 3 - interactive movie
Witcher 3 was never Codex GOTY. It won a one-off "Best RPG of 2012-2016" poll that we did. GOTY 2015 was Underrail.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You might be mixing it up with the poll Infinitron mentioned or the later top 100-some RPGs of all time poll when Twitcher 3 beat out Underrail. Proof of the decline.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I still hope that this site is sane enough to not vote a super woke cringefest like Baldur's Gate 3 as game of the year.
It's delusional to think BG3 won't win rpgoty.

The codex rpgoty votes often go to bigname projects (remember dragon age winning goty?). And even though I don't like BG3, I also can't say it'd be a terrible pick. The real question is what #2 will be.
It'll be the one other big-name project released last year, Rogue Trader. The REAL question is what #3 will be.

Sentinel

Arcane
The best RPG I played this year was definitely Jagged Alliance 3.

Dropped BG3 10 hours in, dropped Rogue Trader near the end of act 1. Don't think I played any other RPGs.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The best RPG I played this year was definitely Jagged Alliance 3.

Dropped BG3 10 hours in, dropped Rogue Trader near the end of act 1. Don't think I played any other RPGs.
then stop posting and fuck off?
YEASH! LET US SHIT MUNCHERS THAT EAT SHITTT EVERY DAY DISCUSS INTRICATE DIFFERENCES IN FLAVOUR BETWEEN ELEPHANT AND GIRAFFE SHIT. PS. BEAR SHIT TASTES BESHT!

*Yum**Yum*Slava Ukra*Yum*ini.... *

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
In 2023...
I replayed Underrail, great fun annihilating everything with special laser pistol that's twice as good as other weapons. As usual, took more screenshots of the excellent writing. It's like reading a good fantasy book.
Played Caves of Lore a bit. Got bored because moving from A to B is a slow nuisance, also loads of trash combat and grinding-based levelups. Plus I didn't want to engage with some autistic pickaxe levelup mechanic that's mandatory to progress.
Didn't even consider playing the BG3 garbage, but a friend recommended it so much that I played through to the start of the goblin camp, at which point the cringe soylennial writing and voiceacting got too much for me. I CANNOT STAND THOSE SMUG, 4TH WALL BREAKING FAGGOT BRITCUCK VOICES!!! I WOULD RATHER DIE THAN GO TO UNIVERSITY THEATRE CLUB WITH THESE FAGGOTS!! THAT IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE!!!! Mechanically it's a shit game too because it's absurd feature bloat that has drowned whatever system it was originally extruded from.

I had 100x times more fun in 2023 from reading Gene Wolfe's Long Sun and Short Sun series, than from the dead and buried shitbad rpg 'genre'

Last week I tried avernum 3 but explored too much at low level and got softlocked inside a fortress with vastly more powerful rakshasa. Restarted but got bored of trash combat, especially since I heard the overarching plot is uninspired compared to 1&2.

Most RPGs are shit. Didn't even consider playing Colony Ship either because of the retarded 3D camera from the same retards who brought us the unplayable Decadence camera. Just make it 2D, retards.

Rogue Trader - shit artstyle, shit writing, westernised slav faggot race traitor devs, comes from the studio that made the horribad soycuck faeces of Kingmaker (see review in sig). They followed up Shitmaker with some """Blood War""" game with a pinkhaired gnome paladin general. Fuck off

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's currently January. We did the GOTY 2022 poll in February 2023, and that was for a year that didn't have major releases in December (this year - Rogue Trader, Colony Ship)

Or in short,
doyouevenlift.png
Is it February yet?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was waiting to see what would come out of that thread about a new Top 100 poll, but I guess it's going to take a while to reach any consensus.

I'm ok with doing the poll this weekend, but I expect a very predictable result... I doubt enough people actually played stuff like Moonring, Hero's Adventure, Lunacid, Quester, Demon Lord Reincarnation, Tales of Immortal, Legends of Amberland II, Wizardry: The Five Ordeals or Caves of Lore. Will be just Jagged Alliance 3, Colony Ship and Rogue Trader fighting for #2 and #3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was waiting to see what would come out of that thread about a new Top 100 poll, but I guess it's going to take a while to reach any consensus.

I'm ok with doing the poll this weekend, but I expect a very predictable result... I doubt enough people actually played stuff like Moonring, Hero's Adventure, Lunacid, Quester, Demon Lord Reincarnation, Tales of Immortal, Legends of Amberland II, Wizardry: The Five Ordeals or Caves of Lore. Will be just Jagged Alliance 3, Colony Ship and Rogue Trader fighting for #2 and #3.

The problem is Rogue Trader and Colony Ship which were released in December. I don't want to see a bunch of people complain that the poll is bad because they haven't played them yet. How long do we wait to give end-of-year releases a fair shot?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

The problem is Rogue Trader and Colony Ship which were released in December. I don't want to see a bunch of people complain that the poll is bad because they haven't played them yet. How long do we wait to give end-of-year releases a fair shot?
Owlcat games you either play on release and/or after like 2-3 years of patches and DLCs, I doubt there's anyone who wants to jump in the next few weeks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Figuring out which of any of those games you mentioned are worthwhile to check out seems like a pretty good outcome to me!
Owlcat games you either play on release and/or after like 2-3 years of patches and DLCs, I doubt there's anyone who wants to jump in the next few weeks.
Yeah, I expect anyone who wants to play it at release will have played it enough to form an opinion at this point. Finishing it is a different story though, I think the game is looooong.

raeven

Educated
Are we just not doing this anymore? Decent games came out last year, it's not like there's nothing whatsoever to play.

Also, is there a master-directory of all the previous Codexian GOTY winners and runner-ups, by any chance?

This hobby has all but collapsed. Why bother pretending otherwise?

Collapsed = achieved mainstream success

Conflating those two sounds like a true codexian, for sure

raeven

Educated
I mean really who has time to play more than five or so games in a year? It's basically impossible to play every game released, so more niche games do tend to fall through the cracks.

BG3 is the GOTY for me but I'm not seeing many people talk about Jagged Alliance 3 in here and that's real sad because it turned out to be a great game against all odds.

Tis the year for long awaited 3rd entries of beloved series, I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom