Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Seriously, though, I guess it's a crime to enjoy any roleplaying in fucking roleplaying games. You seem like a confused person to me.

Yes, your brand of "roleplaying" is a crime and you are guilty for all the decline.

Prove it, shitposter. Back up your claims. :D

Delterius

Arcane
Seriously, though, I guess it's a crime to enjoy any roleplaying in fucking roleplaying games. You seem like a confused person to me.

Yes, your brand of "roleplaying" is a crime and you are guilty for all the decline.

Prove it, shitposter. Back up your claims.
smiley2.gif
Correction.

Not talking about PotD (because playing PoE once is masochistic enough), and I'm not talking about "tough battles", because of course people are going to rest before boss monsters. The point is that there's no real attrition from the trash mobs, where there was certainly attrition in IE games if you didn't rest. And a large number of the battles qualify as trash mobs.

Sorry, but that experience of the game just doesn't match with mine at all. Aloth and Durance's spells are a commonly used resource, and not just in "boss fights". If you're coasting by with Arcane Assaults and Interdictions in every fight, you're not getting the game's true experience.

Probably depends a lot on builds. Did you not use Ciphers? They can whip trash mobs into patheticness pretty much indefinitely and did most of my casting work for me that I would consider a Wizard's job in D&D. Why cast wizard spells for trash mobs when the only effect is to make a battle you're already winning be over 5% quicker?

And anyway, attrition isn't just spells, it's also health.
That's just a hard cap that forces you to rest every x number of fights, also making healing counterproductive and putting too much emphasis on alpha-striking. When you have to make up a new (and entirely counter-intuitive) out-of-battle mechanic to force players to rest, and said mechanic also influences battles in a bad way, it's probably a bad mechanic.

Delterius

Arcane
Probably depends a lot on builds. Did you not use Ciphers? They can whip trash mobs into patheticness pretty much indefinitely and did most of my casting work for me that I would consider a Wizard's job in D&D. Why cast wizard spells for trash mobs when the only effect is to make a battle you're already winning be over 5% quicker?
My question for you is this: do you think that this is rather a specific issue with Ciphers? Or do you think that Ciphers only exarcebate that issue?

I've only played one game, and as I've said not on PotD, so I wouldn't call myself an expert on balance in PoE. But...

Having one class of casters that can function indefinitely and another that can't should always raise a big warning sign. It's not impossible to balance but any developer worth their salt should immediately understand how important it is not to screw it up, and when in doubt to err on the side of making the Cipher-type character weaker than the Wizard-type.

If PoE was the kind of game where managing resting actually mattered rather than a game where resting is just an inconvenience (See: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...illars-of-eternity.98676/page-98#post-3929890) then I'd say that having an OP Cipher would be pretty much game-breaking and make a fundamental game mechanic irrelevant. But PoE is not a game where resting matters, it's a game where one party resting more than another party just means more inconveniences and time wasting. So since resting is broken in PoE Ciphers aren't game-breaking in PoE, it's just Ciphers being OP and meaning you are less inconvenienced by resting. So whatever.

You can't really compare classes by how little they have to rest when resting is simply broken. Resting was broken in IE games as well, but there all classes had to rest equally (physicals for health, casters for spells, aside from wish gimmicks or a whole party of physicals with regeneration), so "how much the class needs resting" simply wasn't really a point of comparison.

Delterius

Arcane
If PoE was the kind of game where managing resting actually mattered rather than a game where resting is just an inconvenience (See: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...illars-of-eternity.98676/page-98#post-3929890) then I'd say that having an OP Cipher would be pretty much game-breaking and make a fundamental game mechanic irrelevant. But PoE is not a game where resting matters, it's a game where one party resting more than another party just means more inconveniences and time wasting. So since resting is broken in PoE Ciphers aren't game-breaking in PoE, it's just Ciphers being OP and meaning you are less inconvenienced by resting. So whatever.

I disagree with one of your arguments. Specifically the one about always having an option to go back to the Inn/Wilds and resting.

True, in the end Pillars is not that different from the Infinity Engine games. There's no definite Failure State for players who decide to blow their resources recklessly. Should they ever feel cornered, players most always have the option to rest in the IE games, or retreating in PoE. However, therein lies the difference.

Provided that the game's parts work in concert towards an useful goal, that is, that Encounter Design, Class Design and Difficulty Mode all make it clear that resources should be spent wisely - will the player do so in both kinds of games? In other words:

Does anyone actually play PoE planning to progress through half a dungeon and then having to go back 3 maps in order to rest in town/wilds? Of course not.

Did most people who played Baldur's Gate use resting as a crutch? Most likely.

Therefore, what the system tries to do is nudge the player into more frugal resource management, instead of leaving it to personal liberty. Now, I'm not saying either approach is more valid, what I'm trying to do is point out that the real problem with PoE, if any, lies elsewhere. It is precisely what you dismissed, the Cipher (amongst other things) and the difficulty mode you played in. To that I'd add what so many others have complained about, trashy Encounter design.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Even though i liked end sequence of PoE, this bit just killed me:

0_16d017_2cc639ef_XXXL.bmp

Yep, that's how Iovara discovered the biggest secret in the world.
And what's more, a lot of people apparently believed her!:lol:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It is undecided if PoE is a good game.

But it is empirical fact that it is a game the codex can't shut up about.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
On the happy occasion of reaching page 101, I'd like to point out that this thread now has over 2500 replies, while the Watch review, at the time of writing, has precisely 92. This amuses me. Good job, gentlemen! Now carry on, and keep it classy. :obviously:

Ramireza

Savant
On the happy occasion of reaching page 101, I'd like to point out that this thread now has over 2500 replies, while the Watch review, at the time of writing, has precisely 92. This amuses me. Good job, gentlemen! Now carry on, and keep it classy. :obviously:

And 99% shitposts and elitist rabble proves what?

WHY i still read/write here!? :(

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

And 99% shitposts and elitist rabble proves what?

WHY i still read/write here!? :(

Wich shows how retarded this forum is.

This forum is sooo retarded, omg. WHY i still return to this shitpile?!

Why, indeed?

Clariska

Barely Literate
Consider im new here i might aswell leave my 2 cents :D.Between the 95% shyt posts and bashing the OP of the review.People should still realize that games goes about what you want.My brother thinks this games the best thing that hit mother earth.THE op of the review are a critic same as myself.For instance some sites reviewd Dragon age 3 scoring it 9+ sorry thats so wrong on console max would be around 8.2/10 score and sorry on pc that would drop to 6.5 as i think DA3 on pc are horrible :x

I will take this game for a test run eventually after fixing my pc.But stop the unnecessary bashing as everyone is entitled to there own opinion and it kinda make people look stupid :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom