Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Lhynn

Arcane
A game that makes NWN 2 OC shine. Thats all you need to know folks.

Copper

Savant
What's striking to me is how similar some of the themes are - it's not reaching to equate the King of Shadows, a mortal man turned into a semi-godlike entity through magic for the greater good with Pillar's gods.

The beats of tutorial slaughter/'unique' protagonist status/urban faction play/trial/poking around in ancient civilisation are all there - there's just a lot more going on in NWN2, and the game piles on the doom at the end, even if the individual quests are shallower.

Lhynn

Arcane
How is it striking when it was made by basically the same people?

Even i tend to repeat myself at my table, and i like all my campaign to have wildly different flavour and themes.

Copper

Savant
Sure, but NWN2 is a poisoned chalice to drink from. Whatever creative ideas you put in there - they're dead, and if you try and resurrect them, or 'fix' them, the rot will never go away. Never try and re-run a failed campaign, my exp tells me.

Baladas

Barely Literate
Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Hi.

I have not played this game yet due to the amount of still existing bugs in it.

However I get a sinking feeling that this review will reflect my feeling when I eventually get to play the game.

I hope it does not, but that sinking feeling is kinda strong.

In the meantime I created a poll here about the rushed release of the game. Feel free to vote.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79882-should-poes-final-release-have-been-called-early-access/
Hi.
calling it an Early Access wouldn't have helped fix the problems with it because they are almost exclusively conscious design decisions.

I finally finished the game. I must say I enjoyed the ending, the slides were pleasant and the final boss took me 3 tries to beat. Too bad it had been such a slog to get there.

Baladas

Barely Literate
[/QUOTE]Hi.
calling it an Early Access wouldn't have helped fix the problems with it because they are almost exclusively conscious design decisions.

I finally finished the game. I must say I enjoyed the ending, the slides were pleasant and the final boss took me 3 tries to beat. Too bad it had been such a slog to get there.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I also put the option to say "Should have been longer in development" for that reason.

It was just to get attention to the fact that it was not finished at release and that it played like early access in all but name.

Cadmus

Arcane
some retarded moderator moved the thread?

I don't think it would have made a difference as I don't believe they'd fix the itemization, the convoluted numbers, the loading times, the shitty balanced no-fun system and maybe not even the stronghold, cuz they never wanted to do it in the first place.

Baladas

Barely Literate
some retarded moderator moved the thread?

I don't think it would have made a difference as I don't believe they'd fix the itemization, the convoluted numbers, the loading times, the shitty balanced no-fun system and maybe not even the stronghold, cuz they never wanted to do it in the first place.

Thread is still there for me.

buzz

Arcane
Not too long from now, Wizardry 8 will be 15 years old. People bitch and complain about aspects of the combat, but they still pick it up and make a party and try a playthrough after nearly 15 years. PoE will likely be just a forgotten footnote after such a period. I'm not attempting to compare the games apples to apples or even apples to oranges. They're not the same kind of game or aimed at the same kind of audience. What I'm saying is that PoE is ultimately a bland, forgettable experience - not only the story/world but also the combat/gameplay. It does not have that magical spark which will ensure a kind of longevity.

With respect to the way this game turned out, I feel as though we truly are in the darkest timeline.
THE GAME IS NOT A CLASSIC IF IT WAS NOT MADE IN MY CHILDHOOD!!!

ST'Ranger

Augur
Not too long from now, Wizardry 8 will be 15 years old. People bitch and complain about aspects of the combat, but they still pick it up and make a party and try a playthrough after nearly 15 years. PoE will likely be just a forgotten footnote after such a period. I'm not attempting to compare the games apples to apples or even apples to oranges. They're not the same kind of game or aimed at the same kind of audience. What I'm saying is that PoE is ultimately a bland, forgettable experience - not only the story/world but also the combat/gameplay. It does not have that magical spark which will ensure a kind of longevity.

With respect to the way this game turned out, I feel as though we truly are in the darkest timeline.
THE GAME IS NOT A CLASSIC IF IT WAS NOT MADE IN MY CHILDHOOD!!!

I'm taken aback by the sheer depth and intelligence of your argument.

Meanwhile, Underrail is better than Fallout, and it's not even complete yet.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, BG was a hardcore RPG, especially compared to the casual shite like Realms of Arkania, Wizardry, and Darklands.

:kingcomrade:
This bothers me, why bring up OLDER titles than BG when hes talking about NEWER titles. Why was this shitpost even brofisted in the first place?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
102 pages?

EyWNksk.gif

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What was that?

Read the thread to find out.

By the way, this is officially the most popular front page piece of all time by very large margin. Darth Roxor should be proud of his accomplishment; this article will define the Codex for years, possibly decades to come.

Fairfax

Arcane
Read the thread to find out.

By the way, this is officially the most popular front page piece of all time by very large margin. Darth Roxor should be proud of his accomplishment; this article will define the Codex for years, possibly decades to come.
102 pages.

:neveraskedforthis:

Mustawd

What was that?

TL;DR

Darth Roxor: Here's my review guys

Infinitron: Ok thanks Darth. We will look it over

*later that day*

Infinitron: [munching on doritos] Guys, Roxor has lost it. Look at how crazy this review is. We shouldn't post it. [swigs mountain dew]

Others: No! This is the codex!! We hate shit; this is perfect!!

Infinitron: Nah...we should wait till Crooked Bee gets back from vacation

*in a PM convo with Darth Roxor and VD*

VD: Infinitron's been talking shit about you

Darth Roxor: Seriously? That motherfucker...

VD: Here's a screenshot of our conversation..

Fairfax

Arcane
TL;DR

Darth Roxor: Here's my review guys

Infinitron: Ok thanks Darth. We will look it over

*later that day*

Infinitron: [munching on doritos] Guys, Roxor has lost it. Look at how crazy this review is. We shouldn't post it. [swigs mountain dew]

Others: No! This is the codex!! We hate shit; this is perfect!!

Infinitron: Nah...we should wait till Crooked Bee gets back from vacation

*in a PM convo with Darth Roxor and VD*

VD: Infinitron's been talking shit about you

Darth Roxor: Seriously? That motherfucker...

VD: Here's a screenshot of our conversation..
:lol:

It starts here btw.
Thanks.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I said it's a better game than BG. However, I think that BG fucking sucks, so I wouldn't call it a glowing endorsement just yet.

Also, here is a rare drawing made by Darth Roxor himself. It depicts a typical Codexian drama that took place behind the scenes:

gxr3pRV.jpg

Posted it for the lulz.

This thing is epic! I am using it now as a Wallpaper!
Look:
eIfhHxg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom