Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Disco Elysium

Deleted Member 22431

Outcomes that are entirely scripted aren't a combat system. DE has no combat system.
The decisions in a traditional combat system are entirely scripted in the sense that such and such input has such and such output. You have no freedom here and your choices are predetermined. The difference is that it is a more complex system, so it gives you the illusion that you have freedom. In fact, freedom in cRPGs is pretending you are the boss when in reality you are justing moving from one predetermined point to another.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In fact, freedom in cRPGs is pretending you are the boss when in reality you are justing moving from one predetermined point to another.

Yes, if all you know is garbage shit like AoD.

In fact, AoD even fails at giving you any illusion, that's how bad it is.

Also, your reply is retarded (as usual) and has nothing to do with what Roguey said, which was for braindead like ItsChon and Junta who think a dice roll to hit a kid using a skill vaguely named like something physical counts as combat.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The decisions in a traditional combat system are entirely scripted in the sense that such and such input has such and such output. You have no freedom here and your choices are predetermined. The difference is that it is a more complex system, so it gives you the illusion that you have freedom. In fact, freedom in cRPGs is pretending you are the boss when in reality you are justing moving from one predetermined point to another.
One allows for emergent gameplay, the other does not. Using systems, any given combat encounter can play out very differently depending on who's playing and what actions they take. In scripted combat scenarios oh sure you have your RNG, but how combat plays out is limited to how much Kurvitz felt like writing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh yeah, that shootout at the end is not combat in any way either.

You're playing on a script and that's it. It's not just "heavily scripted", it's a fucking script. Literally no difference between that and any other conversation in the game.

Deleted Member 22431

In fact, AoD even fails at giving you any illusion, that's how bad it is.
Look, if you never played the game, don't bother to comment about it. There is plenty of multiple venues to go through, with combat or not, fail-and-go-scenarios and whatnot. Don't be disingenuous and parrot things anyone who played the game knows it is false.

Deleted Member 22431

This is the movie for combatfags

MV5BYWU2MjE5ODAtOGM1YS00NjFiLWIzZjQtODVlZjg2MDdmZTQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

This is the movie for storyfags

MV5BNWE2NmMwZjgtOWYxYy00NWU0LTkzOGUtYTg4Yjk3MDFmY2IyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Where is the middle ground?

Deleted Member 22431

One allows for emergent gameplay, the other does not. Using systems, any given combat encounter can play out very differently depending on who's playing and what actions they take. In scripted combat scenarios oh sure you have your RNG, but how combat plays out is limited to how much Kurvitz felt like writing.
What you can and cannot do in emergent gameplay is predetermined by the developer. Besides, in emergent gameplay, you don’t have the sort of meaningful narrative impact you have in scripted text-adventure events. You may not like those, but it adds something you can’t have in emergent gameplay.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Look, the first thing we need to settle is that cRPG is not an honorific class. You can have terrible cRPGs and great CYOAs, or mediocre race games and incredible shooters. Now, if you want to criticize heavy text cRPGs that have next to no combat as bad cRPGs, I would understand. Even PS:T has a ton of combat and a D&D system. It’s not great, but it adds pacing and a sense of progression. So yeah, I think these CYOA criticisms tend to move the discussion from the main problem, which is a lack of a traditional combat system. I agree with you that this is one of the cornerstones of a good cRPG, unless, of course, you manage to replace the combat for an equally complex and compelling system, which doesn’t seem to be the case with this game.
The Choose Your Own Adventure genre is relevant to discussion of Disco Elysium because it relates to the fundamental concept of the game, which is to replace game mechanics with scripting. The removal of mechanics might be most evident in combat but is not solely restricted to combat --- and the game only includes a few narrative situations of combat, broadly defined, such as punching Cuno, fighting Measurehead, and the "tribunal".

Deleted Member 22431

The Choose Your Own Adventure genre is relevant to discussion of Disco Elysium because it relates to the fundamental concept of the game, which is to replace game mechanics with scripting. The removal of mechanics might be most evident in combat but is not solely restricted to combat --- and the game only includes a few narrative situations of combat, broadly defined, such as punching Cuno, fighting Measurehead, and the "tribunal".
I understand, I sympathize, but it is not that simple. cRPGs have gameplay governed by stats and skill, reactivity, etc. The fact that games from other genres tried to imitate this feature doesn’t matter, because the character system in these games is meaningless. What matter is that most cRPGs have more combat than another type of interactions, and this combat is not usually presented in a text-screen. Now, you may not like cRPGs with less combat, but that is a matter of preference, and, as I mentioned earlier, that comes down to developers and players’ preferences. The traditional combat system is a world in itself and provides ridiculous amounts of fun, while combat in text-adventure style is less complex and engrossing, but also provides a different type of gameplay and the narrative impact you don’t have in the traditional combat system. I feel like a mediator here because I enjoyed both the traditional combat system and the dialogue combat system. Besides, if the developers of DE are not experts in the traditional combat system, then it was for the better. At least they didn’t do what Obsidian did with the Pillars series and that grotesque system of theirs. At the end of the day, it’s a matter of personal preference and we shouldn’t judge DE for the things it didn’t try to do, but for the things it did. The linearity and poor use of though cabinets accusations are an important criticism, while the lack of traditional combat (or even the little use of combat in dialogues) not so much.

Taurist

Scholar
We shouldn’t kid ourselves. There is no way in hell than any dialogue system will ever achieve the same complexity of a traditional combat system because you don’t have the same repetitive tasks and variations in a meaningful quest, even if you consider different choices, items, etc. I think what is happening is this: some people here value stat/skill checks, interesting settings, NPCs, etc., and think these things should be an essential ingredient of a cRPG; while other people, like you, think this distracts from the core of gameplay, which should be the combat and exploration, and think this is pretentious because cRPGs are not books. I value the combat and exploration too, but I also want compelling settings, choices, and quests. It’s really hard to keep interested in cRPGs when you killed an orc or did a FedEx quest for the thousandth time. What is worse, I don’t think you can have a compelling setting with the kind of emergent gameplay and freedom players like you aspire to, so we will be fated to discuss and disagree about these things forever, just like Sisyphus was fated to roll his boulder up a hill.

I actually liked Disco elysium quite a lot, I just think that it is a valid point that every interaction beying a drop down list where every option is explicitly presented to you kind of very much limits my engagement with it. FedeX quests lose their interest fairly easy I agree, but even as much as I liked DE, there were a fair few points I skimmed the text and picked the Awsome Option that has a high enough of a chance to work. Without the quality of wriiting it has, could it maintain any interest?

Deleted Member 22431

For those interested in this discussion about the nature of cRPGs, see this thread. I think Vault Dweller didn't update this anymore, but it has a ton of content. Lacrymas, didn't you post a thread about the definition of cRPGs?

Prime Junta

I just started, made a character with lowest physique. Had a fatal crash with stationary wheelchair lady. Didn't survive that one. As in I died. Clearly combat encounter

Could've gone worse, you beat the encounters with the ceiling fan and the room light. Presumably.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
For those interested in this discussion about the nature of cRPGs, see this thread. I think Vault Dweller didn't update this anymore, but it has a ton of content. Lacrymas, didn't you post a thread about the definition of cRPGs?
My definition is retrospective and comparative. I'd say Disco Elysium is an RPG because the stats you have chosen for the character is what allows him to do different things. It would've been a point and click adventure game had there been no stats and you just have a bunch of options to choose from.

Deleted Member 22431

My definition is retrospective and comparative. I'd say Disco Elysium is an RPG because the stats you have chosen for the character is what allows him to do different things. It would've been a point and click adventure game had there been no stats and you just have a bunch of options to choose from.
I want the original thread.

Taurist

Scholar
Im not in any way claiming its not a CRPG. My first post ITT was saying it was. I'm just not all that sure its a progression for the genre or anything. It feels kind of like a dead end. KotC would still be fun with trash quests and trash writing. Games like DE have to bring their A-game all the damn time or you get shit like Twoment.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So is the game just post modern marxist naval gazin or is it just the pseudo intellectual review style?
I really didn't get much information from the review I feel. Also I don't trust anyone with a French name

Deleted Member 22431

Im not in any way claiming its not a CRPG. My first post ITT was saying it was. I'm just not all that sure its a progression for the genre or anything. It feels kind of like a dead end. KotC would still be fun with trash quests and trash writing. Games like DE have to bring their A-game all the damn time or you get shit like Twoment.
I was trying to understand the root of the dissatisfaction with DE in more precise terms. Was it the lack of an avatar or emergent gameplay? I will think more about this later. I want to pinpoint what is happening here.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So is the game just post modern marxist naval gazin or is it just the pseudo intellectual review style?

It's not just just the review.

The game is about a load of crap that fanboys are trying to make into something meaningful "durr this is harry's journey from whatever to who cares hurr" and also "singing karaoke in a bad is some deep philosophical shit".

Nope, what it is about is "racism is bad, communism is good" and the game keep slapping you over the head with these two whether it makes sense in the current situation or not.

That's about it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Character statistics and progression are only two of the fundamental aspects of RPGs, and over the years these two particular RPG mechanics have increasingly been copied into games in other genres. Separating these two RPG aspects from the other fundamental RPG characteristics results in a highly misleading and overly expansive definition of RPG. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom