Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Disco Elysium

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's not an RPG because it has neither roleplaying nor gameplay. It's entirely linear story where everything is fixed, your choices don't matter and the sad excuse for roleplaying amounts to reading slightly different flavor text to progress through the same events in the same order as the last time.

Vatnik Wumao
It's not an RPG because it has neither roleplaying nor gameplay. It's entirely linear story where everything is fixed, your choices don't matter and the sad excuse for roleplaying amounts to reading slightly different flavor text to progress through the same events in the same order as the last time.
We've been through this already, lad. Why are you being obtuse on purpose?

bataille

"Only radical centrists are going to enjoy the lulling peace of total and unequivocal neutrality should they choose to walk the Middle Path."

The game:

Problem
Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*. Incrementally, you begin to notice a change in the weather. When it snows, the flakes are softer when they stick to your worry-worn forehead. When it rains, the rain is warmer. Democracy is coming to the Administrative Region. The ideals of Dolorian humanism are reinstating themselves. How can they not? These are the ideals of the Coalition and the Moralist International. Those guys are signal blue. And they're not only good -- they're also powerful. What will it be like, once their nuanced plans have been realized?

Solution
The Kingdom of Conscience will be exactly as it is now. Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded. Centrism isn't change -- not even incremental change. It is *control*. Over yourself and the world. Exercise it. Look up at the sky, at the dark shapes of Coalition airships hanging there. Ask yourself: is there something sinister in moralism? And then answer: no. God is in his heaven. Everything is normal on Earth.

For the neophyte - Moralism is radical centrism (roughly constituting a pragmatic, quasi-religious alliance of every ideology on the political spectrum between neoliberalism and neoconservatism), and it absolutely does not escape scrutiny.

cool review tho

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
For the neophyte - Moralism is radical centrism (roughly constituting a pragmatic, quasi-religious alliance of every ideology on the political spectrum between neoliberalism and neoconservatism), and it absolutely does not escape scrutiny.

Yeah, no player who survives the Sunday Friend encounter will leave thinking centrism got off easy.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This is like saying Planescape: Torment has no roleplaying because it's an entirely linear story where you progress through the same events in the same order as last time. Good, evil? Just slightly different flavor text.

Deleted Member 22431

Reactionaries: women are retarded and shouldn't be allowed to vote; they should care for their husbands and bare children. that's all.

Me: idiots; top females are always intellectuals.

Then bataille write this pretentious salad to make me look bad; stop being a counter-example to my female intellectuals preference, bataille. First, it was Crooked Bee and her pretentious post-modern nonsense and now you. What's next, Lilura? Fuck me.

Vatnik Wumao
Reactionaries: women are retarded and shouldn't be allowed to vote; they should care for their husbands and bare children. that's all.

Me: idiots; top female are always intellectuals;

Then bataille write this pretentious salad to make me look bad; stop being a counter-example to my female intellectuals preference, bataille. First was Crooked Bee and her pretentious post-modern nonsense and now you; what's next, Lilura? Fuck me.
Lilura is most pretentious of all with her blog.

Deleted Member 22431

Me: idiots; top female are always intellectuals;

Then bataille write this pretentious salad to make me look bad; stop being a counter-example to my female intellectuals preference, bataille. First was Crooked Bee and her pretentious post-modern nonsense and now you; what's next, Lilura? Fuck me.
Lilura is most pretentious of all with her blog.
Her blog is informative and well written.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

This is like saying Planescape: Torment has no roleplaying because it's an entirely linear story where you progress through the same events in the same order as last time. Good, evil? Just slightly different flavor text.

The difference being that my description of Disco Elysium is a factual statement, while your description of Planescape Torment is nonsensical because 1) it actually has gameplay and 2) mortuary alone is more open-ended than the entirety of Disco Elysium.

But hey, inaccurate descriptions of other games to make Disco Elysium look better is at least a step up from people saying it's an RPG because it made them cry in the corner.

Deleted Member 22431

The difference being that my description of Disco Elysium is a factual statement, while your description of Planescape Torment is nonsensical because 1) it actually has gameplay and 2) mortuary alone is more open-ended than the entirety of Disco Elysium.

But hey, inaccurate descriptions of other games to make Disco Elysium look better is at least a step up from people saying it's an RPG because it made them cry in the corner.
You probably made a lengthy post about this in the DE thread. Post here so that we can tear a new asshole in the game. Also, Goral, you had some complaints about the game.

Vatnik Wumao
goddamn evolutionary fucking dead ends shilling for a shitshow amateurish spelling bee anticyoa where nothing matters and all you do is frantically roll dice to have the HONOUR of reading even more Judith Butler tier abominable navel gazing EYESHAGS bc I hesitate to call the contents of this diarrhea jar 'writings'
Bad doggo.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Hot take: ever since Microsoft bought Obsidian, every review coming out seems like an advertisement for Microsoft Word thesaurus.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a conspiracy, all I'm saying is look into it.

Deleted Member 22431

The review, the game, MRY and Prime Junta

5HbGrse.png

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom