Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Disco Elysium

Prime Junta

5HbGrse.png

22431.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not an RPG because it has neither roleplaying nor gameplay. It's entirely linear story where everything is fixed, your choices don't matter and the sad excuse for roleplaying amounts to reading slightly different flavor text to progress through the same events in the same order as the last time.

This is like saying Planescape: Torment has no roleplaying because it's an entirely linear story where you progress through the same events in the same order as last time. Good, evil? Just slightly different flavor text.

The difference being that my description of Disco Elysium is a factual statement, while your description of Planescape Torment is nonsensical because 1) it actually has gameplay and 2) mortuary alone is more open-ended than the entirety of Disco Elysium.

But hey, inaccurate descriptions of other games to make Disco Elysium look better is at least a step up from people saying it's an RPG because it made them cry in the corner.

I don't care whether or not it's an RPG, I care that it's great. If PS:T is an RPG because it has combat and its combat is by far the worst part of the game, that's not much of an argument for this definition of RPG-ness as a barometer of quality.

Every single narrative critique you make applies equally to both games. There are three ways out of the Mortuary, there are three ways to skip out on your hotel bill in Disco. There are at least two ways to get the body down from the tree.

Here is my review of DE:

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, resolutely shit, lacking in imagination, uninformed reimagining of, limp-wristed, premature, ill-informed attempt at, talentless fuckfest, recidivistic shitpeddler, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another.

EDIT: For those who didn't get the MEME

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Look, I'm not saying that materialistic conceptual synchronicity of dialectical photosynthetic metaphysics is necessarily aliens, but it's probably aliens.

Vatnik Wumao
Look, I'm not saying that materialistic conceptual synchronicity of dialectical photosynthetic metaphysics is necessarily aliens, but it's probably aliens.
All I know is that everyday sourstuff has eight neitherbits with its eight firstbits, but there are also kinds with five, six, seven, nine, ten, and eleven neitherbits. A samestead is known by the tale of both kernel motes, so that we have sourstuff-13, sourstuff-14, and so on, with sourstuff-16 being by far the most found. Having the same number of bernstonebits, the samesteads of a firststuff behave almost alike minglingly. They do show some unlikenesses, outstandingly among the heavier ones, and these can be worked to sunder samesteads from each other.

Trashos

Arcane
C'mon now...
Wisely, the grotesque pomo abominations are kept in a pen and only let out to serve the goals of New Sincerity. A metafictional subplot is a curious divergence from the ethos, not the norm.

The review was a bit hard to read, because it felt like dating my ex wife all over again. +10 points for the GY!BE reference though.

Not all is bad, but it would have been helpful if the writer had tried to communicate a bit harder.

Prime Junta

Bring on the review wars.

It's interesting to see how much ego defence this game (and this review) triggers. That's a thick and many-layered shell of irony and wit a lot of you have erected to protect the vulnerable thing within.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Interesting review, but I would've liked for it to cover more than just the character system and story / themes.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It's interesting to see how much ego defence this game (and this review) triggers. That's a thick and many-layered shell of irony and wit a lot of you have erected to protect the vulnerable thing within.
Cuno doesn't defend, Cuno offends, fucko!

But seriously, I wanted to say things about this game which this review misses and concentrates on others, which I didn't find that central.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm on my third playthrough, and I think you are familiar with the general trend of my posts in the various DE threads, and you know how I feel about the game.

That said, this is a very easy game to drill holes in, and I'm currently considering doing so as an intellectual exercise. Unthinking submission to a position of praise (or derision) is something idiots do. I wouldn't accuse naysayers of ego defense.

Prime Junta

That said, this is a very easy game to drill holes in, and I'm currently considering doing so as an intellectual exercise.

If it's very easy, it's not much of an intellectual exercise though, is it?

:philosoraptor:

Tigranes

Arcane
I submit that the Codex publishes every Disco review anyone writes - as long as they write a Pillars review first as an Ideology Tax

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I submit that the Codex publishes every Disco review anyone writes - as long as they write a Pillars review first as an Ideology Tax
I have a review of The White March, which I never offered for publishing. It's in its own thread.

Prime Junta

Yes, but it is an intellectual exercise in how to eviscerate the game such that it causes discomfort in the intended audience.

That sounds interesting. If I'm the intended audience, I look forward to your efforts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom