Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: ICY

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Given the subzero setting, I first thought something from the Fife-engine project had finally come to fruition, but it appears that false hopes are quickly extinguished.

Well, to experience a dystopian, cold, and ruthless environment I just have to open the front door and step out. Preferably no larping involved, though.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Given the subzero setting, I first thought something from the Fife-engine project had finally come to fruition, but it appears that false hopes are quickly extinguished.

Well, to experience a dystopian, cold, and ruthless environment I just have to open the front door and step out. Preferably no larping involved, though.

Well, well, your post about the relation between your front door and this game inspired me to post the most cruel and yet on topic copypasta about dystopian, cold and ruthless environments:

Right now, approximately a million new Muslim migrants are engaged in a struggle to find a warm place to sleep in a continent with nothing approaching the capacity to adequately house them.

At least 75% of the migrant invaders are Muslim men of fighting age. Native-born ethnic Germans, Swedes and others are being thrown onto the street to provide emergency housing for Muslim “refugees.” Tens of thousands of migrants are currently living in tents, and in temporary shelters like school gymnasiums and underused warehouses.

There will be no means of finding or creating permanent quarters for them before the Central European blizzards come. When the snow is deep in Germany and across Europe, these men are going to enter local houses, demanding to be taken in as boarders—or else.
Where it is useful, small migrant children will be held up in front as human shields for their emotional blackmail value; elsewise, they will be discarded. One way or the other, Muslim migrants will be attempting to move inside of German homes and apartments seeking heat and food, and the young Muslim men will be seeking undefended infidel or kafir women to slake their lust (which is their right, under Islamic Sharia law).

In disarmed Europe, any group of a dozen or more cold, hungry and angry Muslim men armed with clubs and knives will be able to enter any German house or business that they like.
Worse, there are now reports of vast quantities of firearms being smuggled into Europe by the muhajirs, with cowed European authorities afraid to search the migrants or their baggage, lest they provoke riots. And weapons are not only smuggled in “refugee” baggage: eight hundred assault-style shotguns were just seized in a single truck in northern Italy, bound from Turkey to Belgium. How many truckloads of weapons and explosives have not been stopped?

https://westernrifleshooters.wordpr...-tet-take-two-islams-2016-european-offensive/

This is a great thread. Thank you, Icy developers.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait, I'm not following... Western Europe, arguably still (one of) the best region to be born and live in when it comes to security, healthcare, education etc... is a dystopian environment?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The most bizarre thing about nonsense texts like those quoted above is the fact that there are people believing them.
I mean, how far gone from reality must a person be to believe that refugees will just go into blind rage mode, bursting into people's houses?
Or that anyone is thrown onto the street to make room for refugees? Unused private business buildings are bought (!!!) by the state to use the rooms in some cases.
Or that suddenly massive amounts of weapons are smuggled into Europe? If at all, most weapons are currently being smuggled into Syria, I'd wager.

I like the "Central European blizzards", though. Last time I saw some real, long lasting snowfall in this country (not counting the mountains, ofc) was... uhm... three years ago? Or longer?

We probably have the shittiest refugee camp in this country in Berlin (Lageso), and I went there myself some days ago, because right now, I just don't trust any media.
Guess what, lots of sadness, lots of hope, and zero anger towards the people helping there.
The only thing turning violent sometimes are refugees among themselves.
Or some piss-headed nazis outside shouting their confused hatred towards whoever listens.

Wait... how did this turn into this topic, again?
Boy, this is worse than every discussion leading to WW2 sooner or later.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait, I'm not following... Western Europe, arguably still (one of) the best region to be born and live in when it comes to security, healthcare, education etc... is a dystopian environment?
Well, that escalated quickly. I was merely referring to the mental landscape of the country I live in. You know, some of us watch von Trier movies for their comedic value.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What happened to my beautiful, beautiful review thread? If this doesn't get back on track, I'll drop my upcoming Sengoku Rance review and do Oblivion instead.

Anyway, I decided to end the game by siding with a rebellion against an isolated society with advanced technology. Down with the dictatorship! In the end we started a more open trade station, but it wasn't exactly flourishing. Anyone get a different ending?

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm a pretty inclusive guy, but I usually feel the same when I see stuff like this. Then again, is there any way to include non-traditional characters such as LBGT and NOT make it feel shoved in? Dunno, just a thought for another thread maybe.

Yes. You simply don't shove their SPESHUL-ness in the player's face. And you don't make it that character's sole defining characteristic. Being subtle about it. You know, good writing, plain and simple.

Take FO:NV for example. Veronica and Arcade don't shove their homosexuality right in your face, because it's not what defines them. They do drop hints about their preferences in a non-hamfisted manner, and only if you more or less directly touch the topics that deal with it anyway.
There's a lesbian character in Path of Exile, except you wouldn't know it unless you pay very close attention to the character's banter and other very subtle hints.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Crooked Bee

These reviews are nice but we really need a tldr version:

1) It's shit.
2) Good for what it is~
3) 75% off or bust.
4) Bundle fodder
5) D1P

T. Reich

Arcane
Crooked Bee

1) It's shit.
2) Good for what it is~
3) 75% off or bust.
4) Bundle fodder
5) D1P

Take your TL;DR decline to Beth forums.
A True Codexian(tm) will read the whole damn thing and decide for themselves whether it's gud or not.
Also, one man's D1P is another man's harbinger of decline. As far as your tags go, you know what I'm talking about.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Crooked Bee

1) It's shit.
2) Good for what it is~
3) 75% off or bust.
4) Bundle fodder
5) D1P

Take your TL;DR decline to Beth forums.
A True Codexian(tm) will read the whole damn thing and decide for themselves whether it's gud or not.
Also, one man's D1P is another man's harbinger of decline. As far as your tags go, you know what I'm talking about.
Just stick to GD you tryhard poser.

What happened to my beautiful, beautiful review thread? If this doesn't get back on track, I'll drop my upcoming Sengoku Rance review and do Oblivion instead.

Anyway, I decided to end the game by siding with a rebellion against an isolated society with advanced technology. Down with the dictatorship! In the end we started a more open trade station, but it wasn't exactly flourishing. Anyone get a different ending?

Chose the same side but city was flourishing in the end. There were some options to chose from before the slides, I think it influences them.

OwNathan

Innervoid Interactive
Developer
Thank you for the review!

Right now ICY is selling decently, so we're planning some updates which should radically improve the lacking and repetitive gameplay. The bad side is that we don't know how soon we'll be able to release them, but in the meantime I'll keep expanding the game on the narrative side since there are plenty of things that can be done.

According to this review and many feedbacks we received, our top priority should be to fix the combat system in order to create something deeper and involving more strategy, this choice should give more importance to the whole scavenging system and to the items, allowing us to improve those features too.

Mustawd

Thank you for the review!

Right now ICY is selling decently, so we're planning some updates which should radically improve the lacking and repetitive gameplay. The bad side is that we don't know how soon we'll be able to release them, but in the meantime I'll keep expanding the game on the narrative side since there are plenty of things that can be done.

According to this review and many feedbacks we received, our top priority should be to fix the combat system in order to create something deeper and involving more strategy, this choice should give more importance to the whole scavenging system and to the items, allowing us to improve those features too.

OwNathan, does Inner Void have another game in the pipeline, or too early to say definitely? I liked the alpha, but haven't gotten around to playing the released version. At least in my brief fun through I really liked the world you guys created. Good lucky with more ICY sales.

EDIT: Legion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom