Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Might & Magic X: Legacy

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You already admitted, however, that the comparison that got you so riled up at first was actually "probably accurate".

Clearly, this review focused only on comparing MMXL to other games in the series. :roll:

There is no doubt about it: MMXL is an excellent game and the best turn-based blobber for the PC since forever

Oh wait, no it didn't. Sceptic's statement is accurate, but only within the context of ignoring other dungeon crawlers and focusing on the Might and Magic series. There are numerous comparisons made to earlier entries in the series, but that's natural when reviewing any sequel.

And as you'll note, the prime mitigating factor/excuse for previous games in the series featuring simplified interior dungeons—satisfying overworld exploration—isn't a factor in MMX, since the overworld is a disappointment even to Sceptic:

Unfortunately, if there's one area where MMXL disappoints as an M&M game, it's in its outdoor exploration. With Limbic's announcement that the game was based off WoX, it wasn't unreasonable to expect that the overworld would draw heavily from that game in its exploration. Instead, the overworld ends up being exactly what the series has always avoided: a dungeon with a skybox and more colourful textures. Parts of it try to avoid this design and offer a more freeform approach, with large expanses of unobstructed terrain extending in all directions, but while sufficiently large these areas still feel empty, with encounters or other points of interest being dozens of tiles apart.

The entire excuse for simplified dungeons in this series doesn't apply to MMX. Any response to that?

Kz3r0

Arcane
I find this whole discussion about dungeons designs absolutely fascinating.

But, but but.. I have to ask. What defines a good dungeon design in the first place ?

What criteria would you use to judge whether a dungeon design is good or bad ? Realistic layout ? Complexity ? Non-linearity ? Puzzles ? Encounters with NPCs/monsters ? Items distribution ? All of that.. and more ? Would it be possible to make small/simple dungeon maps, similar to MMX's size, but with a better design ? Or does a better design necessarily involve bigger/more complex maps ?
I know you are trolling but I will answer goiing by memory with the definiton that Bee has wrote sometime ago, good Dungeon design is when the dungeon IS the enemy to overcome, when all the elements inside concur to that, when the dungeon is just a container or combat is the real challenge it's obvious that you can replace the dungeon with anything else and it will work all the same, besides back in the old days everything was a dungeon, meaning a corridor adter another, because of technical limitation nowadays instead thatnk to technological advancements it always a corridor after another, only more shitty.

Funny how it instantly reminded me of this.

Phantom2040_0.png

Nice atmosphere, but gameplay was kind of shit. Also those are some beautifully manicured fingernails.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You already admitted, however, that the comparison that got you so riled up at first was actually "probably accurate".

Clearly, this review focused only on comparing MMXL to other games in the series. :roll:

There is no doubt about it: MMXL is an excellent game and the best turn-based blobber for the PC since forever

Oh wait, no it didn't. Sceptic's statement is accurate, but only within the context of ignoring other dungeon crawlers and focusing on the Might and Magic series. There are numerous comparisons made to earlier entries in the series, but that's natural when reviewing any sequel.

And as you'll note, the prime mitigating factor/excuse for previous games in the series featuring simplified interior dungeons—satisfying overworld exploration—isn't a factor in MMX, since the overworld is a disappointment even to Sceptic:

Unfortunately, if there's one area where MMXL disappoints as an M&M game, it's in its outdoor exploration. With Limbic's announcement that the game was based off WoX, it wasn't unreasonable to expect that the overworld would draw heavily from that game in its exploration. Instead, the overworld ends up being exactly what the series has always avoided: a dungeon with a skybox and more colourful textures. Parts of it try to avoid this design and offer a more freeform approach, with large expanses of unobstructed terrain extending in all directions, but while sufficiently large these areas still feel empty, with encounters or other points of interest being dozens of tiles apart.

The entire excuse for simplified dungeons in this series doesn't apply to MMX. Any response to that?

You're making things up. Sceptic's review doesn't contain any "excuse" for simplified dungeons. He just doesn't particularly care that they're simple, at least in the context of the review.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Sceptic's review doesn't contain any "excuse" for simplified dungeons. He just doesn't particularly care that they're simple.

This isn't only about Sceptic's opinion or the review. It's about people independently claiming that they're comparing MMX only (or primarily) to previous entrants in the series, or that Might and Magic has always had fairly simplified dungeons.

The primary mitigating factor anyone reasonable might use to justify simplified dungeon design (excellent overworld design, which leaves less development time for intricate dungeons, etc.) is entirely missing in MMX. And if you don't accept that, then you're defending the simplistic dungeon design simply because (most) earlier games in the series featured simplistic dungeon design, which is a terrible reason.

In other words, you're trying to defend the indefensible. And you haven't even played the game yet.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

No, you focused on it by - let me repeat it since you so conveniently ignored it again - calling the comparison to MM1-5 "deceitful" while later admitting it was in fact "probably accurate". Which is what I was calling you out on, not on the broader point you continue to be making now, this time adding in the overworld exploration in an attempt to strengthen your argument.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Sceptic, imo you need to learn2cut.
Yes.

Hey, there's a button which shows you if enemy is near! Well great, but what purpose does that knowledge serve for the reader?
I said so in the review, it's a loving reminder of the gargoyle from MM3. Brought a tear to my eyes.
No seriously you should've seen how fucking verbose this damn thing was when I first posted it before I cut 3000 words and then posted it. You should all thank Darth Roxor profusely for making me cut more stuff before it got posted here. The UI part in particular was EVEN LONGER. I also wanted to blabber on about a hell of a lot more things, but then even I had to settle for the fact they really were too minor and nobody who isn't me would give a shit.
It being Unity is a problem, and maybe that one paragraph didn't convey how much the performance and loadings annoyed me. But the annoyance of that particular aspect started fading as soon as I stopped playing the game, and I felt that an aspect that didn't stay long enough when I was done didn't warrant going on into too much about, especially because there's only so much you can say about "performance is not great, loading times suck" without being EVEN MORE VERBOSE than I already am. (Yes I know, you could argue that the UI didn't warrant so much detail either)

When I think about "review", I usually think about an article which would focus on most important parts of the game to help reader understand if he would be interested in the game or not, not a titanic mix of a technical manual, a walkthrough of all it's systems and a history lesson.
Normally I would agree with you, and a lot of Codex reviews are exactly like that. Roxor's and VD's in particular are I think an excellent model of how to do this. Unfortunately for both me and for the Codex, I honestly cannot write like this. I can't be concise. I suspect DU has a similar problem (go read his Bioshock review, I think it's even longer than mine). So I instead settled for a titanic mix of technical manual and detailed walkthrough of all systems and their problems as I perceive them. I knew it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but this is the beauty of the Codex: if someone else actually wants to write a more traditional review, they can submit and it'll get posted alongside mine, and everyone's happy.

I'd say the editing is just not optimal.
I'm not the editor, complain to Infinitron :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, FYI, even Roxor's reviews might be considered horribly long and monotonous outside of the Codex. For example, the RPS commenters reacted with horror to his Blackguards preview ("why does he talk about combat so much???")

Generally speaking, if you want standard reviews, there are plenty of standard review sites you can go to. I hear some of them even give out scores!

From a Codex review, one should expect that occasionally it will be a huge grognard rant, meant to entertain fellow grognards as much as it meant to educate newbies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First of all, kudos and thanks to Sceptic for that review, I would never write anything half as long unless people paid me an evening worth of pot and strippers. Also, what a reminder what a fucking, sad joke modern gaming IGN "journalism" is.

And second, Blaine gets hang up on the "pretty good" phrase too much. I'm not the biggest MnM expert in the nerdworld, I've never played MnM 1-2 for example, but I've sunk so many hundreds of hours into all sorts of MnMs to say with confidence this franchise has never been about particle-accelerator-complex dungeon crawling. Yes, if you take as your base value something like the Hall of the Past from Wizardry 7, then saying MMX dungeons are good is indeed way off the mark. But so is implying Van Caneghem's dungeon design was lightyears better. It just wasn't.

The Americans have a great saying - let's not the perfect be the enemy of the good. It's as if it was tailored for MMX. That's my review.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
"Moving the goalposts," right. My only goal here is to ferret out what reasonable justification any of you have for the simplistic dungeon design in this game, other than "that's the way it was before (in this series only, tee hee)" or "I just don't mind simplistic dungeon design." The point I'm making with the overworld comparison is that the overworld is not a valid excuse for simplistic dungeon design in MMX. I'm not trying to put words in your mouths.

No, you focused on it by - let me repeat it since you so conveniently ignore it again - calling the comparison to MM1-5 "deceitful" while later admitting it was in fact "probably accurate". Which is what I was calling you out on, not on the broader point you continue to be making now, this time adding in the overworld exploration in a desperate attempt to strengthen your argument.

I'm not ignoring anything. As I've explained previously, unlike the rest of you (apparently), I had the entire subgenre in mind when initially replying to this thread. Here's what I wrote:

The reviewer the Codex selected is either unqualified to judge dungeon design or out-and-out deceitful (the comparison to MM1-5 has me leaning toward deceitful)

Note the use of "leaning toward." Calling MMX's dungeon design "quite good" in the context of dungeon crawlers in general and WoX in particular had me leaning toward deceitful (among other possible conclusions), because frankly WoX's design is noticeably superior... I was pretty much ignoring 1-3, and yes, that was a mistake on my part.

The overall thrust of that statement, which you're shaking out of context like a dog with a bone, was that something's not right here if the reviewer's calling this "quite good" dungeon design. Moving the goalposts? You're engaging in a behavior I believe is often described as zooming in.

I apologize for the use of "deceitful," it was a bridge too far, a misstep, a gaffe.

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
I've had some criticism of MMX in the big MMX thread I won't go over again because I'm not interested in putting the boot into the game, but I think it's a pretty good illustration of the fact that the good old games weren't good by accident or just good for their time. I don't expect the new guys to be able to meet that level on the first try to reconstitute a lost tradition.

Anyway, good work Sceptic.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've had some criticism of MMX in the big MMX thread I won't go over again because I'm not interested in putting the boot into the game, but I think it's a pretty good illustration of the fact that the good old games weren't good by accident or just good for their time. I don't expect the new guys to be able to meet that level on the first try to reconstitute a lost tradition.

Sure, ride the wave of my assholishness on that surfboard of a reasonable opinion into the hearts and minds of Codexia.

Anyway, good work Sceptic.

The review itself is fine, but I find his general assessment of the game as "excellent" a bit over the top. I personally don't consider the game bad, but merely mediocre. I was expecting a little better than what we received, and had the dungeons and/or overworld been more complex and challenging, I'd have been pleased. Early reports from Codexians who'd gotten access to the full game had me excited.

Unfortunately, the game received mixed reviews (to be expected even if it had been pure incline, but Ubisoft is a big publisher, so that matters), and I wonder whether that room for improvement will ever be filled or an additional sequel attempted. It's too early to tell. Hopefully these fan-made dungeons will encourage them to step up their game.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Well, FYI, even Roxor's reviews might be considered horribly long and monotonous outside of the Codex. For example, the RPS commenters reacted with horror to his Blackguards preview ("why does he talk about combat so much???")

Generally speaking, if you want standard reviews, there are plenty of standard review sites you can go to. I hear some of them even give out scores!

From a Codex review, one should expect that occasionally it will be a huge grognard rant, meant to entertain fellow grognards as much as it meant to educate newbies.
"Grognards" number lovers hate numbers in their reviews. Engaging in hipstery heresy perchance?

Yeah, well i hope you get AIDS. Grimoire demo is the best blobber ever.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

"Grognards" number lovers hate numbers in their reviews. Engaging in hipstery heresy perchance?

Yeah, well i hope you get AIDS. Grimoire demo is the best blobber ever.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Great job, Sceptic. That was a very well-written and detailed review of the game and how it compares to its predecessors.

Sceptic said:
The system works as well as usual, although it does have a couple of oddities: there appears to be no keyboard shortcut to exit conversations, and the only way to do so is by clicking on the exit button on the bottom right of the screen.
I found that Esc can be used to exit the building, but there's a small bug: when you load a game, the first time you talk to a character you have to press Esc twice in order to exit the conversation, but thereafter it's enough to press it once. SuicideBunny had similar results, but he also found that from time to time the game will forget you talked to a character (I only tested for 2 mins in the Crag, though).

P.S. I found it funny how right after the sentence "I never bother reading these, and I didn't here either", there is a screenshot proving that nearly all books are unread ("Honestly, I didn't even open them!"). :lol:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've had some criticism of MMX in the big MMX thread I won't go over again because I'm not interested in putting the boot into the game, but I think it's a pretty good illustration of the fact that the good old games weren't good by accident or just good for their time. Anyway, good work Sceptic.
Thanks. As a token of appreciation, I'm going to dig out your major post in that thread and respond to your main points, because I can be a dick like this :M

Here's the big problem with the combat: They give you extremely powerful damage mitigation tools like holy armor, really strong heals, really strong and effectively infinite potions, and the general panoply of buffs and debuffs. It's very very easy to reach a point where the monsters in an area or even the entire game are zero threat to actually kill you. But it still takes minutes and minutes real time to finish these tactically "solved" combats with full blown damage sperg parties, never mind improvised first playthrough stuff.
Mostly agree, and that's why I devoted so much time in the review to pointing this out and giving examples. I don't agree that it takes so long once you do have a working party though, in fact by the late game I was blowing through combats quite quickly; if anything it's waiting for animations that took the most time, especially with enemy spellcasting. I guess the biggest problem with the difficulty curve is that the game is at its most difficult early on IF you have a suboptimal party, but no matter how unoptimised your party, it gets too easy later on. I'm not sure if I should criticise this too much though, because while it does remove challenge from the late game, it also really makes you feel that your party has grown in power, and tangible character growth is pretty important in a CRPG.

They compound the error by throwing very repetitive trash mob encounters using the same 2-3 enemy types per area in your way in various contrived ambushes
The ambush abuse is bad. I'm not so sure about the trash mobs though. Although there might be only 3 or so types per area, they tend to have different abilities and each encounter mixes them up in different numbers and in a different setup, and I think this gives quite a bit of variety to the encounters themselves. The problem here (linked to the mitigation tools) is that, regardless of this mixing-up, you STILL can get away with using the same cookie cutter set of super-powered abilities to plow through the encounters. I think fixing the abilities would've made the encounter variety stand out a lot more.

Random magic items suck, mostly because the power curve of the game is so flat aside from damage mitigation. I never found a single piece of non-relic equipment in the game that felt like a legitimate "gamechanger". You feel lucky to get stuff that is a tiny incremental improvement on whatever you have on, because 95% or more of random items are worthless to you. Money also gets out of control shortly into the second act so it even becomes a pain to throw the stuff away.
Disagree about the power curve. I actually discarded a couple of my relics in favour of more powerful non-relic items, and NOTHING you find on a relic beats the chance to sun (except of course a relic WITH stun), at least for non-boss fights. If there really is one gamechanger, it's stuns, and your own spell that protects you party from stuns, because those are so insanely powerful with the current system. Entirely agree on gold though, there's too much of it and not enough to spend it on, and I blame the removal of level training for this (I should've pointed it out in the review).

It's hard to decide how good the exploration is when the combat is so bad and so slow. I liked the stuff that was there (finding trainers, the mysterious and dangerous caves), really enjoyed the riddle tower and riddle chests, and the elemental shard riddle-rooms were mostly good.
Agreed 100%. All this is the best part about exploration, and it's why I was more willing to give them a pass for going away from "real" M&M exploration to that outdoor-dungeon setup.

I don't expect the new guys to be able to meet that level on the first try to reconstitute a lost tradition.
Neither do I, and that's what my conclusion was all about. It's not the best M&M. It's not on par with the best M&M. As a first try, it shows promise. THAT is what matters to me, that they threw this one out there, that they can see what works and what doesn't, and that they can try to make the next one a better game, and a better M&M. There's no certainty that MMXI will be better, or even that there will be an MMXI. But if there is, then what I saw in MMX makes me trust them enough to think they will learn from their mistakes. After all they won't be "the new guys" when they develop the sequel. This also means I wouldn't go as easy on them or the game if it ends up being a step back, but there's really no point in thinking that far ahead just yet.

Fireblade

Erudite
I found that Esc can be used to exit the building, but there's a small bug: when you load a game, the first time you talk to a character you have to press Esc twice in order to exit the conversation, but thereafter it's enough to press it once. SuicideBunny had similar results, but he also found that from time to time the game will forget you talked to a character (I only tested for 2 mins in the Crag, though).
I just got into the habit of always pushing Escape twice to exit conversations. Works fine.

Strangely, though, it doesn't work the exact same way as clicking the exit button at the bottom right. For example, if you've cleared Portmeyron and go back there...if you click Escape twice, you'll be outside again. But if you click the exit button in the bottom right, you'll instead be offered the option to re-enter the Portmeyron "dungeon".

Gozma

Arcane
Disagree about the power curve. I actually discarded a couple of my relics in favour of more powerful non-relic items, and NOTHING you find on a relic beats the chance to sun (except of course a relic WITH stun), at least for non-boss fights. If there really is one gamechanger, it's stuns, and your own spell that protects you party from stuns, because those are so insanely powerful with the current system.

I just happened to never see any of the rare brands on weapons like stun or relentlessness in my game, even on something like a low-tier weapon no one in the party could use. For whatever reason they made those so rare that the only way you are likely to see one is by looking in shop inventories over and over, and you have to know they exist in the first place to bother.

"Dispel magic" cures stun. The guy that could cast it got all the status immunity items so he woudn't go down, plus a few scrolls in case he was knocked out meant feeblemind/paralyze/stun-locking wasn't gonna happen. I never bothered much with the fire spell that gives stun resist because of that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Jesus christ Blaine, you can be a holier-than-thou fucking prick sometimes. You went from "BULLSHIT THEY'RE NOWHERE NEAR ON PAR WITH 1-5!!!" to "that's probably correct if you're just comparing it to the series" within the space of 2 fucking pages, yet the self-righteous crusade continues.

The review itself is fine, but I find his general assessment of the game as "excellent" a bit over the top. I personally don't consider the game bad, but merely mediocre. I was expecting a little better than what we received, and had the dungeons and/or overworld been more complex and challenging, I'd have been pleased. Early reports from Codexians who'd gotten access to the full game had me excited.

Unfortunately, the game received mixed reviews (to be expected even if it had been pure incline, but Ubisoft is a big publisher, so that matters), and I wonder whether that room for improvement will ever be filled or an additional sequel attempted. It's too early to tell. Hopefully these fan-made dungeons will encourage them to step up their game.

1: Myself, the review, and pretty much all of the Codex agrees with this measurement of the game's qualities.

2: Our claim now remains that your expectations were too high and too unreasonable and you call bullshit on that claim for whatever reason.

3: That's all that is at stake here. In terms of quality, you, me, and everyone you're arguing with roughly agree and have done so since you started this debate in the other thread. The only debate that's left is a semantic or goalpost related discussion of what sticker you'd like to mark that quality with. I call it good and sufficient. Sceptic calls it ambivalent but excellent. You call it shit. Different folks.

For me, the end result is that I got the first honest-to-God oldschool attempt at an RPG in like a decade. Not a halfway failure or comprised result like Shadowrun, not a "well" or "maybe" or "it tries, but", but something we can definetely discuss in the frame of the games it was trying to follow. It also has a ton of good elements which makes it fun to play for those of us who liked the M&M series. These two things are the criteria many people put up for success of M&MXL. That it has many problems is certainly to its detriment and keeps me from using words like brilliant or excellent, but then all Codex favourites have major issues. Certainly Might & Magic as a series have always had major fucking gameplay troubles.

Seems that you, like Roxor, half-way expected Wizardry (though Roxor paradoxically liked Shadowrun).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom