Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Milquetoast fence-sitting review at best.
Cuz he only played 1 path. And so it ended up that a better review is in this thread rather than what he posted. I warned him of this. But do people listen? No.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wrath the video game already significantly increases the amount of creatures you fight compared to Wrath the tabletop. I checked the stats of the first creature you fight against the rules to see if they were the same and noticed a giant fly is worth 400 xp (which would be 65 distributed to a party of 6) but in the game it's worth 18. If the adaptation used the actual xp rules, you'd hit the level cap in chapter 4.
What does xp have to do with anything? I won't deny that wrath is at least twice, likely 4 times longer than it should be and a lot of it is due to having too many repeat encounters. I actually think the encounter design is remarkably solid considering the relatively few enemy types, but they should still have cut it in at least half, more for dungeons like dresen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And then the #2 biggest fault is no attack button. It's almost like a cultural difference, because the game was made by Russians. You can't kill everyone you meet. So that's why the game feels railroaded, the companions imposed and unsatisfactory, and bunch of other stuff that leads to no combatfag orgasms.
It's an adaptation of an adventure path, there are load-bearing NPCs who can only die when they're no longer necessary. There's a ton of scripted reactivity already, they can't account for everything.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't need to play multiple paths to realize the game is garbage.
Being an edgy cynic is easy, yes?

The reason why threads about this game have +50% the extra posts than others is because the game has its good parts and its bad parts. If something is good, everyone agrees it's good. If something is bad, everyone agrees it's bad.

If a game has its good parts and its bad parts, it has +50% the extra posts debating which is which. You don't need a triple digit IQ to figure that one out.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

The reason why threads about this game have +50% the extra posts than others is because the game has its good parts and its bad parts. If something is good, everyone agrees it's good. If something is bad, everyone agrees it's bad.

If a game has its good parts and its bad parts, it has +50% the extra posts debating which is which. You don't need a triple digit IQ to figure that one out.

The reason the Wrath thread is still alive is because a handful of autistic buildfags jerk each other off in it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

The reason the Wrath thread is still alive is because a handful of autistic buildfags jerk each other off in it.

Real buildfags play KotC 2, ToEE or NwN PWs

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
"I want this game to be a completely different game", again.
Strawman again.

If you think giving the player meaningful choices before the endgame is making a whole different game, maybe the game is shit as is.
At no point are you the only Mythic character.
I know.
Do you get off on looking like an idiot by talking about things you know nothing about?
Says the guy who was insisting that you had to be the only mythic character because special snowflake, even though the PnP campaign was the opposite and the game itself had plenty of mythic characters, either in history or being made in the present day.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I haven't kept up with lambchop's arguments, because it feels like he's doing what he did when the Disco Disco review came out: which is just take the spotlight and present arguments in a game he barely played, but whatever...

I thought Wrath hurt his little AIDS-ridden butt in particular for some reason, but it looks like this is a pattern for that inbred knuckle-dragger.

"I hate this game and I barely played it, now let me tell you all about it"

What a sad, sad way to live.
Yes, everyone who dislikes the tranny lgbt game has AIDS. Not you for defending it breathlessly for 10 pages.

Disco disco? What even is that? Disco Elysium? And when did I argue about it? Are you all so butthurt you commit random posts of mine to memory? :lol:

Last edited:

The_Mask

Patron
Are you all so butthurt you commit random posts of mine to memory?
No. You just went against bataille using pretty much the same quality of arguments you used today. And she fucking kicked your ass so hard, you got butthurt for a week, and then went rambling about "muh builds" like a gibbering idiot. That shit was so embarrassing *and* memorable, one tends to remember it years later.
You want me to put up a link? So that any new members accidentally bumping into this get a better picture of you? Please say "yes".

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
No. You just went against bataille using pretty much the same quality of arguments you used today. And she fucking kicked your ass so hard, you got butthurt for a week, and then went rambling about "muh builds" like a gibbering idiot. That shit was so embarrassing *and* memorable, one tends to remember it years later.
Quote it, retard. I'm certain you're confusing me with someone else, since I've made a handful of posts about Disco Elysium and most of them amounted to 'lol I'm glad I never bothered trying this pos'.

I've never played it, never installed it and have no idea what it's about, much less what 'builds' are in the game.
You want me to put up a link? So that any new members accidentally bumping into this get a better picture of you? Please say "yes".
Yes, put up a link. Go on. Really own me on this.

The_Mask

Patron
You were correct, it wasn't Disco Disco, although if you look up bataille's review on that one, you had some questionable pics "planted" there, as well. They, most conveniently, are now gone, but that's okay... because we have your ATOM RPG performance. It begins with this "post" and it ends with you gibbering about builds. Quite fascinating. Really.

Can you tell us what post-modernism is, Non-Edgy Gamer?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You were correct, it wasn't Disco Disco, although if you look up bataille's review on that one, you had some questionable pics "planted" there, as well. They, most conveniently, are now gone, but that's okay... because we have your ATOM RPG performance. It begins with this "post" and it ends with you gibbering about builds. Quite fascinating. Really.

Can you tell us what post-modernism is, Non-Edgy Gamer?

That's not me, dude.

My old account is "A Cut of Domestic Sheep Prime".

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ggers-name-was-free-shoes.133186/post-6718450

Look in the thread you linked. The people quoting him show his name as "Politician".

This was fun though. Thanks for playing. :M

Forget about any writing, supposedly "mini-games" and strategic layers (which just as in Kingmaker sadly are clearly tuned towards people who don't give a shit and would rather play BG all over) or anything. Those are mostly red roguey herrings distracting from the main stinking fish.

By far Owlcat's weakness still:

I expressed frustration with how much combat there was on the critical path in Kingmaker, noting that 10-12 encounters per map felt like twice as many as there should have been. WotR stubbornly doubles down on this by regularly featuring 20-30 encounters per map in critical path locations.

In some places (Drezen siege), that is warranted, given the scenario. But to have a design that seems to boil down to having the intern go over maps at the last minute before release, and instructing him to copy/paste mobs from your editor over spots still empty -- that is simply tiresome combat design.

I enjoy/ed both Kingmaker and WOTR. But with Kingmaker I took one longer time out to complete it. Whereas WOTR is an ON/OFF experience since release -- and still not being finished. A fare more focused / simple experience such as Solasta (and its story DLC), I finished in a couple of days, barely taking a breath in between. And those aren't ultra short stories either, in particular in combation. Solasta employs a design ethos competely alien to Owlcat though, which is:

Less (and more unique where possible) is more. There are designated DUNGEON areas with barely 2 or 3 fights. Despite developing hugely combat heavy games, and thus relying on superior combat design and pacing, Owlcat can't even do "exploration" places like that, outside of random settlements mostly unrelated to the main story. And the main reason seems to be one employed by RTS copycats in the 1990s already: MORE, MORE, MORE. MORE UNITS than Warcraft 2! More missions than Command&Conquer! And MORE hours of play than 200 repeat viewings of LOTR 1+2+3 combined.

Here's hopeful Owlcat overhaul their stance though now that their next game will be TB exclusively.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A fare more focused / simple experience such as Solasta (and its story DLC), I finished in a couple of days, barely taking a breath in between. And those aren't ultra short stories either, in particular in combation. Solasta employs a design ethos competely alien to Owlcat though, which is:

Less (and more unique where possible) is more. There are designated DUNGEON areas with barely 2 or 3 fights.
Good post, glad I'm not the only one who noticed this about Solasta. A combat-focused tactical RPG that doesn't actually have that much combat. Yes, developers, you can do this!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Here's hopeful Owlcat overhaul their stance though now that their next game will be TB exclusively.
The Rogue Trader beta which just consists of act 2 is at least 40 hours long, so things aren't looking too good, though it depends on how many acts there are total. Hopefully not 6 which is only that way in the Pathfinders because they're adaptations of existing books. A lot of people seem to agree that there's a quality dip after act 4 in both, so no more than that would be optimal.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For some reason I can't bring myself to read anything in KangMaker and neither could I read the review. I glanced over it. It seemed to be preoccupied with minor details. Like a long boring post, not a review. A review is a cohesive text that flows from A to Z, not a list of detached items to be discussed, 3 sentences each. Decline.

I always had a lot of things to say about PoE. I could never string them all together into a larger narrative, so I could never post a "review". I have standards. Roguey, you disappoint.

Bring bubbles back.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I also found WOTR way too long. Twin Elms Syndrome corrupts yet another game that could have been great.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I wonder how long Baldurs Gate series is front to back. Probably similar to Wrath.

The length is hardly the games biggest issue though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom