Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Svarog's Dream

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Tags: Svarog's Dream; VI Game Forge

Suka blyat, all stand to attention! Is game of Eastern European origin, and RPG Codex has review of it!

Thanks to the priceless input of comrade BosanskiSeljak, you can now learn of the ultimate slavic experience presented by Svarog's Dream, a deep and complex RPG (because that's what they always are) made by two people you've never heard about.

Comrade reviewer praises the game's many satisfying aspects, such as the world design and reactivity as well as the unorthodox approach to character death, but seems less enthusiastic about the combat and general production values, as the entire budget was a crate of vodka and five kilograms of potato. In his own words:

The standout feature of Svarog’s Dream is its ever-changing world, which reacts to random events and player choices, extending beyond the main narrative. Each playthrough will have unique scenarios, and I could easily provide multiple examples for every small action that causes a reaction just from a single (experimental) playthrough. There are several systems incorporated into the game to achieve this.
(...)​
While the actual mechanics of combat in Svarog’s Dream are average, the system benefits greatly from the well crafted world and character building. Isometric action combat with auto-attacks, occasional kiting and active abilities running on cooldowns is the quick synopsis on what to expect. An additional mechanic is the spirit form, which allows you to leave your body and scout out an area (while you remain vulnerable). Death is a massive penalty in this game so the use of the spirit form is essential to many builds for a reason that will soon come apparent. This provides a small boost to somewhat lacking combat and lets you prepare and position yourself for fights.
(...)​
If your character dies, you’re returned to Veles who sends you out to inhabit a new body, giving you three new choices. Virtues and character level remain intact, while Attributes & Talents are replaced by the next character you choose. Your previous character's corpse remains on the map permanently with your old inventory, and looting it will leave the nude corpse behind as you carry on with your mission. There is no way to game the system as death-scumming is discouraged by design. Consistently dying does buff the attributes of your next character choices, but has unforeseen consequences on the world, raising the difficulty as a result.
(...)​
This is a very consistent game across the board, but as with any ambitious project by a small team with a lack of budget, there will be some misses. Visually, Svarog’s Dream is lacking, and while the sound design alleviates that to some extent, there are lackluster moments with combat being the main culprit. I do not get close to the same feeling walking through villages here as I did with The Witcher, the most atmospheric non-Western fantasy game I've played to date. Additionally as previously stated in the story section, there are mistakes and it's written by a non-native speaker so you won’t find a classical literary work here, which hampers the flow of dialogue.​

Klassikal literary works are unnecessary as long as I can reincarnate as Yuri Gagarin and conquer the unknown world. But still more important information is included in the review, and you would be wise to read it. Or else!

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Svarog's Dream

Opa

Doing a giveaway if anyone is interested.

Fun fact: "One God" was originally God/Christian God but people were extremely triggered over this and the dev is a weak willed cuck so changed it. Luckily just the name, not the content itself, so the blue haired obese reddit-types don't cry about agreeing with God if they want to be virtuous.

Last edited:

Habichtswalder

Educated
If your character dies, you’re returned to Veles who sends you out to inhabit a new body, giving you three new choices. Virtues and character level remain intact, while Attributes & Talents are replaced by the next character you choose. Your previous character's corpse remains on the map permanently with your old inventory, and looting it will leave the nude corpse behind as you carry on with your mission. There is no way to game the system as death-scumming is discouraged by design. Consistently dying does buff the attributes of your next character choices, but has unforeseen consequences on the world, raising the difficulty as a result
The idea of playing as someone new in the same world after death is very interesting. This should be done more often.

Thanks for the detailed review. Made me interested enough to check out the game on Steam. There is a thread in the discussions forum which suggests that ironman is optional, so save scumming isn't completely blocked?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2004640/discussions/0/4354495356171349653/
The dev added a difficulty to play without ironman so that's always an option. Although the game isn't designed around that and you're missing a lot of the experience (achievements are disabled in this mode for a reason). It was added in after release because people claimed it was too hard or something.

To me it doesn't exist, just thrown in to stop retards from crying about perceived difficulty so it's not worth even mentioning.

Fargus

Arcane
I rarely care about codex reviews. But always good to see one from BosanskiSeljak

Didn't know this was made by serbians.
In reality, Svarog’s Dream is more akin to properly designed open worlds like in Gothic. Items are hand placed instead of relying on mob drops, dangerous & safe areas are logical, there is a clear hierarchy in mobs and most importantly, enemies do not scale to your level. NPCs work on a schedule further amplifying the feeling of a lived in world. While the map is available to you from the start, fog of war restricts vision on a large portion of the map until certain events in the main quest. As with Gothic, this encourages thought when exploring, especially in unknown locations.
World Events Resulting from You: Arguably the game’s strongest feature, these events are direct outcomes of your character’s actions. Successfully dispatching a threat might lead to the opening of an inn a few days later, proving yourself a top alchemist gets you invited to a secret society, etc. Conversely, not completing/refusing a quest to eliminate a creature terrorizing the village might result in a useful NPC getting mauled. If you kill it, a far more deadly creature might call the den its home. There are countless examples, so many that I cannot do the game justice by listing a couple.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

PERMADEATH

tenor.gif

But thanks for the quality review , i enjoyed reading it.

damager

Arbiter
This looks really good. I only skimmed through a bit to not spoil me, but I think I will try this.

rojay

Scholar
Outstanding review and the game sounds pretty cool. The strong points are right up my alley and seems like I've dealt with the weaknesses before without much trouble. Thanks BosanskiSeljak.

Codex USB, 2014
A Svarog game? Smart move and right on time, with 3D animation having made leaps of progress and the advent of AI, the videos are about to lose their relevance. Too bad about the retconning for censorship though, it seems like they added a whole lot of religious stuff to make up for the more interesting parts of the Svarog films for lack of a better descriptor.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
The dev added a difficulty to play without ironman so that's always an option. Although the game isn't designed around that and you're missing a lot of the experience (achievements are disabled in this mode for a reason).
I cannot really think of anything more meaningless than "achievements".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom