Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Technomancer

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
ITT we learn that Cyber Whale thinks the codex should review popamole mainstream AAA games.

I guess it stands to reason since we reviewed Fallout 4, an FPS with lite RPG elements. :negative:

There you go. Kind of undermining your own argument. We reviewed Fallout 4. We fucking reviewed Undertale. If the Codex is reviewing and RECOMMENDING shitty RPGMaker games, why do you draw the line with some not-great but inoffensive mediocre AA ARPG? The Codex has reviewed far worse in its time, including in the glory days of 2002-2007.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If you want a particular title to be covered, write your own review and post it to the staff. This is how the Codex publishes not only reviews but content in general and it has been pointed out multiple times over the last few years.

TL;DR - if you aren't satisfied with games RPG Codex covers, it is your own goddam fault.

The main point is not whether the Codex should review mainstream games, but whether it should be too positive when reviewing mainstream games. Ironically, when the Codex does review some obscure cRPG, nobody cares, while any review about mainstream shit attracts angry posters like bees to honey. Have you guys notice this? Bashing mainstream games or positive reviews about mainstream games is a sport, but writing detailed reviews isn’t. It's like a trap we made for ourselves.

Zeriel

Arcane
I think it's just a symptom of newfaggotry, people who join the Codex with its reputation as hating everything, and figure any positivity is somehow against the mores of our ancient forefathers. Of course not realizing that reputation isn't 100% true. The Codex got that reputation because gaming journos process actual critique as "oh, they just HATE everything!". But there have always been vaguely positive or neutral reviews on the Codex of games that some of us hate, some of us don't care about, and some of us like.

There are downsides to basically publishing any semi-coherent review the community will write, but it's probably better than some arbitrary authority on Staff deciding what our editorial line will be for all time.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ironically, when the Codex does review some obscure cRPG, nobody cares, while any review about mainstream shit attracts angry posters like bees to honey. Have you guys notice this? Bashing mainstream games or positive reviews about mainstream games is a sport, but writing detailed reviews isn’t. It's like a trap we made for ourselves.

Of course. People are more often united by things they hate than by those they love.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One was tuluse and the other one was..?

I don't want to turn this into any sort of public shaming, so let's just say there was another reviewer too (after tuluse) but ultimately he didn't do it either. It was only after that that Deuce Traveler volunteered and we finally had a review.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Of course. People are more often united by things they hate than by those they love.

I think it’s more about laziness than anything else. It’s easier to make angry shitposts and vent than making detailed positive contributions. Moreover, a poster will always earn more brofists for shitposting, so there it’s an incentive inside the Codex to being lazy, which it's already the natural disposition of most people. The only reason why I don’t write any reviews it’s that I am not knowledgeable enough.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The only reason why I don’t write any reviews it’s that I am not knowledgeable enough.

A shitty excuse if I ever saw one. Reviews are not essays let alone detailed analysis of a whole genre, but a critical and, most importantly, honest opinion pieces written in preferably eloquent and entertaining manner. If you want to review a certain game then just do it, it doesn't need to be an edgy and autistic manuscript that Codex readers usually have to endure.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Men, I like the writing in Spiders RPGs.
It feels horny as fuck. I bet this woman likes it hot.

jehanne_rousseau.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
In the meantime, have we heard anything about Fallout: Resurrection coming out in 2 weeks? No, of course not. Because for some reason the powers that be don't like that kind of game.
Nope never heard of it... I am not following fallout mods anymore as so many of them were abandonned , vaporware. Wake me up when surf solar finish his mod , or my grand children rather. Well remember those are not commercial products, its not on steam, nor controversial so its not covered by IGNdex.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Reviews are not essays let alone detailed analysis of a whole genre, but a critical and, most importantly, honest opinion pieces written in preferably eloquent and entertaining manner. If you want to review a certain game then just do it, it doesn't need to be an edgy and autistic manuscript that Codex readers usually have to endure.

You make it sound so easy. It’s one thing to play a game and intuitively understand the mechanics, but to write and analyze it it’s another thing entirely. I learn what it is encounter design only five months ago(?). I have a lot to learn, man, and I don’t want to have an illusion of competence. The internet is already filled with stuff and it’s pointless to write a review if it is not to improve things. Or maybe you are right and I will only learn this shit in the hard way, forcing myself to write about it and risking being made a fool of myself in public. I will think about it.

Men, I like the writing in Spiders RPGs.
It feels horny as fuck. I bet this woman likes it hot.

Whoa, she just doesn't like hot, SHE IS HOT!

jehanne.jpg

I love women that prefer to look natural and uses only basic clothes without make-up and shit. I also hope my fiancee is not reading this post or I will have troubles. LOL

hell bovine

Arcane
i'm currently writing a retrospective review on the sims
Excuse you, sims medieval is a very progressive game, you can romance a tentacle monster in it. (And you do it by feeding it meat, as opposed to wasting time on hours of inane dialogues. Other developers should take notes, this is how you do romance properly!)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Mustawd

I find www.RPGWatch.com is a great place to go find news for upcoming RPGs. That is where I initially read about the existence of Elminage: Gothic, btw, and they have also featured links to reviews and links to articles containing information about Heroes of a Broken Land, Paper Sorcerer, Stranger in Sword City, and basically any other RPG you can imagine.

They also link to reviews of said games and sometimes write their own editorial reviews about them, such as for Elminage: Gothic and Heroes of a Broken Land.

However the community discussion in RPGWatch is non-existent and there is no point in trying to make a thread there or to contribute to a thread there as it is the websites very own dedication to covering all types of RPGs that prevents hard-core discussion of the minutiae of sub-genre entries in the genre.

What I've taken to doing is gathering my editorial news, reviews and information concerning real RPGs from other websites than the Codex and then I come here and make a thread about the real RPG in question in the JRPG sub-forum and 8 times out of 10 the thread enjoys a very healthy and active discussion of its game mechanics as it draws out a ton of posters from here, the Codex, that literally have nowhere else to discuss these games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
and btw, for everyone who keeps saying that one need only write their own review/introspective/post-mortem/editorial piece and submit if they want to see it on the front-page DarkUnderlord and Infinitron have something to say to you:

NOPE THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS MORON. WHAT GETS POSTED ON THE FRONT-PAGE IS WHAT THE STAFF WANTS, AND JUST BECAUSE YOU WROTE SOMETHING WORTH READING DOES NOT MEAN IT'S WORTH POSTING. GET IT? GOOD.

LIKE IT OR NOT THE FRONT-PAGE IS FOR CLICK-BAIT BECAUSE THE CODEX NEEDS IT AND FRANKLY SPEAKING A 10 PAGE ESSAY DISSECTING WIZARDRY WILL NOT GET ANY CLICKS, WHEREAS A LINK TO A DEVELOPER TALKING ABOUT (INSERT NON-RPG HERE)'S MECHANICS WILL GET THOUSANDS OF CLICKS.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Mustawd

I find www.RPGWatch.com is a great place to go find news for upcoming RPGs. That is where I initially read about the existence of Elminage: Gothic, btw, and they have also featured links to reviews and links to articles containing information about Heroes of a Broken Land, Paper Sorcerer, Stranger in Sword City, and basically any other RPG you can imagine.

They also link to reviews of said games and sometimes write their own editorial reviews about them, such as for Elminage: Gothic and Heroes of a Broken Land.

However the community discussion in RPGWatch is non-existent and there is no point in trying to make a thread there or to contribute to a thread there as it is the websites very own dedication to covering all types of RPGs that prevents hard-core discussion of the minutiae of sub-genre entries in the genre.

What I've taken to doing is gathering my editorial news, reviews and information concerning real RPGs from other websites than the Codex and then I come here and make a thread about the real RPG in question in the JRPG sub-forum and 8 times out of 10 the thread enjoys a very healthy and active discussion of its game mechanics as it draws out a ton of posters from here, the Codex, that literally have nowhere else to discuss these games.

Thanks, everything is exactly as I thought.

Mustawd

I think it's just a symptom of newfaggotry, people who join the Codex with its reputation as hating everything, and figure any positivity is somehow against the mores of our ancient forefathers. Of course not realizing that reputation isn't 100% true. The Codex got that reputation because gaming journos process actual critique as "oh, they just HATE everything!". But there have always been vaguely positive or neutral reviews on the Codex of games that some of us hate, some of us don't care about, and some of us like.

There are downsides to basically publishing any semi-coherent review the community will write, but it's probably better than some arbitrary authority on Staff deciding what our editorial line will be for all time.

You are missing the point entirely. I don't care if Fallout 4 was fun or if a reviewer thought it was fun. In fact, I'd say FO4 looks like a pretty decent FPS and it has some depth to it that would make it fun.

IT IS NOT AN RPG

TECHNOMANCER IS ALSO NOT AN RPG. IT"S NOT A STRATEGY GAME. IT'S NOT A TACTICS GAME.

It's a fucking action game with RPG elements plastered onto it. You know what else is an action game with RPG elements? GTA 5. You know what else? GTA 4. GTA 3. Bioshock. Etc. Etc.

Why are we reviewing action games?

Again, I don't care if you like AAA games. Write as many positive reviews as you want. I don't care if the review is well written and entertaining. But please don't review non-RPGs. What the F is the point? Like I said earlier, where is my Madden 2016 review? What about Football Manager? What about Barbie's XYZ game? (I ran out of AAA games that I know about, but feel free to insert them here).

This is getting ridiculous.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
aweigh,
STOP USING GIGANTIC ALL CAPS FONTS LIKE A MADMAN.
I'M NOT BLIND AND IT'S ANNOYING AS HELL.
MY BRAIN WILL APPRECIATE, THANKS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom