Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Prime Junta

I wanted to avoid spoilers on the off-chance that somebody actually wants to play this turd.

Why would you review a storyfag game without talking about the story? :|

It is hard to do if you don't want to spoil it. It's generally understood to be bad form for a review to spoil the game being reviewed. I didn't want to spoil it. I discussed the story to the extent I thought it was necessary to communicate what I thought about it, but no more.

What's a Skill Game?

A game where success is determined by passing skill checks.

Well you don't need to spoil content, but you can easily talk about systems, mechanics, reactivity, alternate approaches etc. Fuck there's a whole gamut of stuff you can go through without talking about story.

I did.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Regarding visuals & cobblestones, just look at PST:

aNO9cP2.jpg

That floor is absolutely gorgeous, and was built like a real cobblestone mosaic.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Regarding visuals & cobblestones, just look at PST:

aNO9cP2.jpg

That floor is absolutely gorgeous, and was built like a real cobblestone mosaic.

Not that good here, doesn't fit the location of the pillars, like they were just placed on top and the angle of the floor is wrong too.

pstlarge8.jpg

Point is, you can whine about anything if you look hard enough.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
U wot? Going on about cobblestones and PnP Numenera for half the review? Then some random musings about KS 'liez' or some shit.

Putting them in quotes doesn't make them less of a lie.
Just because you're ok with being robbed by Fargo doesn't mean it's something everybody should be OK with.

Therefore, eat shit. You're crying more than the detractors of this game. Fuck man, talking bad about something someone likes is like sticking a knife in the very core of their universal essence.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
U wot? Going on about cobblestones and PnP Numenera for half the review? Then some random musings about KS 'liez' or some shit.

Putting them in quotes doesn't make them less of lie.
Just because you're ok with being robbed by Fargo doesn't mean it's something everybody should be OK with.

Therefore, eat shit. You're crying more than the detractors of this game. Fuck man, talking bad about something someone likes is like sticking a knife in the very core of their universal essence.

Go fuck yourself if you can't fucking read you miserable piece of shit. I already wrote that I'd be fine with a Roxor review as I know he'd actually do a REVIEW not some random bullshit. Cunts like you are the butthurt ones. I like TToN, I like PoE, I like W2. I also like JRPG's, Witcher series, Might and Magic's(even IX and X). Fuck I even like Dead State(the part with the content anyway, not the 40 hours after that). Some Codex faggot who represents 0.001% of the gaming community being an edgelord or not liking something I do, I give less than 0 fucks about.

What I do care is at least a modicum of common sense when reviewing...no 'scary' sounds? kys you fucking retard.

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
I'm gonna have to try to play it, but now I'm dreading the attempt. I can only hope it isn't really quite this bad, but I'm going to guess that it isn't great. My problem is I am quite picky. The boring/uninspired combat of PoE was enough that I could not get very far into the game. I am one of the few people who actually liked PS:T combat. For me there wasn't much not to like. It was vanilla D&D 2nd Ed, a proven system. I can't help thinking that Inxile should have just used the WotC D20 open gaming license instead of trying to use something new like Tides even if the author was a veteran like Cook.

Clearly this project was overly ambitious even considering the talent they had. They made the mistake of not following KISS. Making any computer game that is actually fun to play is actually very very hard. As for questions of where the money went 5 million isn't that much for a game that took so long to make. Presumably it went into paying salaries, but I would also like to hear a post-mortem on how things went so badly wrong. Whose head should we demand to be put on a stick? Does Fargo ultimately have to take responsibility and if so what did he do wrong?

Is the crowd-funding model itself somehow to blame? So far it doesn't seem to be doing very well. Maybe a developer having a publisher is like a writer having an editor. I for one hated PoE because Josh Sawyer put Balance ahead of Fun for his shiny new combat system and now we have this: another failure of a new combat system. Just because something looks easy doesn't mean it is. I guess even some of the best 'industry veterans' who should have known better can lack enough humility to realize this. As for the writing it sounds like maybe it lacked some strong figure like MCA to oversee everything.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Go fuck yourself if you can't fucking read you miserable piece of shit. I already wrote that I'd be fine with a Roxor review as I know he'd actually do a REVIEW not some random bullshit.

Yeah, sure. And you think he wouldn't mention the lies that you think are not lies?

You're just extremely butthurt your shitty taste and no quality standards aren't shared by everyone.

Prime Junta

As for questions of where the money went 5 million isn't that much for a game that took so long to make.

We have points of comparison though. T:ToN isn't much bigger than SRR: Dragonfall, and it is worse in any meaningful respect -- worse writing, worse interaction, worse production values, and ohgawdworse gameplay/combat. Whatever you think about Pillars, it's way, way, WAY bigger, looks way better, and it wasn't a chore to interact with even in that deeply flawed 1.0 release. All of these had smaller budgets. It is a legit question.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
As for questions of where the money went 5 million isn't that much for a game that took so long to make.

We have points of comparison though. T:ToN isn't much bigger than SRR: Dragonfall, and it is worse in any meaningful respect -- worse writing, worse interaction, worse production values, and ohgawdworse gameplay/combat. Whatever you think about Pillars, it's way, way, WAY bigger, looks way better, and it wasn't a chore to interact with even in that deeply flawed 1.0 release. All of these had smaller budgets. It is a legit question.

How much did the No Truce guys pay you to do a scathing attack on a game that essentially follows the same style?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Maybe they are just that unproductive, those glassdoor reviews come to mind

Prime Junta

How much did the No Truce guys pay you to do a scathing attack on a game that essentially follows the same style?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

It's the ol' check this out...but WE DO IT BETTER!!!!1111 routine. Marketing 101.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

Go fuck yourself if you can't fucking read you miserable piece of shit. I already wrote that I'd be fine with a Roxor review as I know he'd actually do a REVIEW not some random bullshit.

Yeah, sure. And you think he wouldn't mention the lies that you think are not lies?

You're just extremely butthurt your shitty taste and no quality standards aren't shared by everyone.

Didn't I tell you to fuck off already? I don't give a shit about your shit tastes or those of Prime Cunta.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron

And what's your point? Dragonfall is a tablet game and pretty mediocre. I find it funny that this 'My First RPG series' has such a following here when it's casual to the max with no depth or ambition. Oh and it looks and plays a lot worse than any other reasonably big KS RPG barring maybe Dead State that had a tiny budget and still was more interesting early to mid game with the man management.

Is the combat even worse than PoE?
many times worse

Better than PS:T combat at least.

Commie why are you defending this shitgame?

I defend quality Codex reviewing standards.

jewboy

Arbiter
PS:T combat was basically IE combat. I don't recall it being that different from say IWD1 and so far superior to PoE or say MotB. The guys on this team never were much into combat I guess which is why they should have just gone for a vanilla already proven system like D20 or maybe something else proven like Pathfinder or something. Sometimes I feel like everyone should just flat out copy the combat in ToEE. I mean copy EXACTLY. Now that was fun.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PST combat issue is that their idea of encounter design was just spawning clusters of same enemies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom