Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPGs - Retards who cannot read and Discussion thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Instead of bitching about sub-genres, the best way to do it would be to get the full, raw list of candidate games, consider each option a tag and, then, to each game affix the appropriate tags . At that point, anybody could filter the list of games by the tags they're interested in and extract the information that they find relevant/useful.
True, that way we get interesting info like how "80% of the Top 50 games are party based" or similar amusing info.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Instead of bitching about sub-genres, the best way to do it would be to get the full, raw list of candidate games, consider each option a tag and, then, to each game affix the appropriate tags . At that point, anybody could filter the list of games by the tags they're interested in and extract the information that they find relevant/useful.
True, that way we get interesting info like how "80% of the Top 50 games are party based" or similar amusing info.
Exactly! That way, this would be an actual piece of useful research, not just an angsty cry for self-validation.

Marsal

Arcane
Exactly! That way, this would be an actual piece of useful research, not just an angsty cry for self-validation.
Great idea, bro. By the power vested in me by DarkUnderlord, I pronounce you "the man in charge of populating the database and tagging all the games". We shall then proceed to have a public discussion, call you a faggot and insult your work. Congratulations!

You may kiss the Jaesun.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Great idea, bro. By the power vested in me by DarkUnderlord, I pronounce you "the man in charge of populating the database and tagging all the games". We shall then proceed to have a public discussion, call you a faggot and insult your work. Congratulations!

You may kiss the Jaesun.
Yes, but in order for the experiment to be valid, the hated JRPGs and assorted weabo artifacts need to be allowed in the official Codex top 50 thread and the "for PC" requirement dropped.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Fuck, this whole forum got together to officially fundraise for a Baldur's Gate successor and you're worried now? :deadhorse:

visions

Arcane
In fairness, I think there are some out there that may have only played around 25 computer RPGs ever. So there are some that may have a pretty crappy list if they try to create the top 25 they ever played. I'm going to run into that issue when we go to name our top 25 console RPGs.

Imo it's better to excercise restraint rather than name games I played and liked but don't regard as personal favorites.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fuck, this whole forum got together to officially fundraise for a Baldur's Gate successor and you're worried now? :deadhorse:

That's a far cry from people declaring things like Witcher and World of fucking Warcraft are among the top 25 RPGs ever made.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't actually been keeping up with the thread after posting my list - is it a singular ocurrance or are people seriously putting WoW forward as a contender. Option number two would make me sad.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't think I've agreed with Wyrmlord more than I have done in this thread. It's scary! But yes, binary non-combat skill checks are all well and good, but they are so awful from a gameplay perspective that any cRPG that features them in abundance while lacking severely in terms of combat (Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Arcanum) is trumped by cRPGs with even a half-decent combat system. It also doesn't help when a game lacks party creation, which even Baldur's Gate allows in multiplayer mode. This is why you'll find lots of old-school party-based RPGs on my list but no Arcanum, Fallout or even Planescape: Torment.
And we can take this one step further:

If we were to remove the distinctions between combat and non-combat situations and say they are all just an abstract collection of skill checks of all kinds, then which one has the more depth? Which sort of game has the more complex in-depth skill checks, combat or no combat?

Let's compare fighting Jierdaan Firkraag with talking to the Practical Incarnation.

People debate heavily on how to fight Firkraag, and in this link, they suggest using Breach, using Lower Magic Resistance, using Magic Resistance to pre-set the enemy's Magic Resistance, using Project Image, using Polymorph Other, using the Gate spell, using Traps, attempting Feeblemind, attempting a Finger of Death, attempting Quivering Palm, using Protection from Fire, using Harm, and so on. And which one of these spells you attempt depends on how the combat encounter plays out, so you have to change your plan once something does not work out. On different successive attempts, the same fight could be harder or easier depending on how everything plays out. You could be on the verge of turning the dragon into a squirrel, but Firkraag turned towards Edwin right on time, so now Anomen has to try Finger of Death on him.

Now, the Practical Incarnation. If you have an Intelligence or Wisdom of 21 or more, you merge his soul into your own. If you don't have an Intelligence or Wisdom of 21 or more, you are out of luck.

I am okay with Torment being called one of the greatest games of all time, and I even agree with this notion. But if we can put Torment in that class, it's surprising that people say BG2 can not belong to it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but what is the logic behind a game with binary problem solving trumping a game with multifaceted problem solving?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I haven't actually been keeping up with the thread after posting my list - is it a singular ocurrance or are people seriously putting WoW forward as a contender. Option number two would make me sad.

I saw it at least twice (in non-trolling posts).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Then explain the butthurt about Dark Souls. Nevermind that it's not a classic JRPG but a western-style RPG developed by a Japanese team and that it's a better WRPG than most of the WRPGs released during the last 10 years or so.
How is Dark Souls a western-style RPG? It's nothing like Wizardry, Wasteland, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Pool of Radiance etc. Single character, action combat. It's an action RPG, a type of game that was quite big in Japan back in the 80s, before it really became a thing over here.

Oh, I forgot. It doesn't have an anime art style. That makes it a western-style RPG.
How is Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis a western RPG?

OH WAIT IT ISN'T NURSE WE GOT US A RETARD HERE

You people and your ridiculous strawmen piss me off when I didn't have enough Long Island Iced Teas which, by the by, are delicious.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are quite a few excellent Japanese video games. I can pretty much guarantee some Codexians like them but will never admit it for fear of being labeled a weeaboo or not :obviously: enough.

Unlike Western developers, who've all gone full-on Cinematic QTE Experience™ Press A To Win®, some Japanese developers have kept the faith, although nearly all of them develop exclusively for consoles. I'll proudly vouch for Monster Hunter any day of the week. It's not an RPG, but I'd rather play it than half the cRPGs on anyone's list, including my own.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why is that?
What problem do you have with U7? Is it also "not an RPG" to your oh so pure standards or what? I'm in a bad mood so you better come straight!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
In fact, what the fuck is the problem with voting for U 7?

You voted for System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, games that are arguably even less of an RPG! I don't fucking get it! FUCK!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A better question: How isn't it a cRPG? That's the way all media sources past and present and the vast majority of gamers have chosen to define it, so why don't you enlighten the rest of us?

I could see calling it an adventure game, perhaps.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes but you have to consider Nietzsche's stance when compared to the dilemma Cloud faces in Final Fantasy 7.

Bruticis

It's an RPG and everyone knows it. This is just the typical hipster Kodex shit over and over again. Incoming pages of what's an RPG.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
No one's yet managed to properly define an RPG. There's no paragraph or list of bullet points one can consult to determine if Game X is an RPG, although this doesn't work both ways—it's fairly easy to determine that some games are not RPGs. In cases where it's not quite clear, though, no one can prove or disprove without resorting to their own personal preferences. Even among the eldest (in real-life years) Codexians with antique registration dates, there is no consensus on exactly what constitutes an RPG or not.

"What is an RPG?" indeed. This has been a running theme for years, not only at the Codex but everywhere else RPGs are discussed as well.

I can however definitively say that BioWare "RPGs" in recent years are not RPGs at all but rather omnisexual elf fuck dating sims with a linear corridor shooter tacked on. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom