Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPGs - Retards who cannot read and Discussion thread

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I see that Jaesun has successfully trolled this thread. Funny thing to wake up to.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, all it took was one comment and the snowball was on its way down the mountain. I figured I'd help it along.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wear it with pride bub I am trolling my ass off and you just drool for my amusement
1458_900.jpg

Listen dumbfucks, it's an RPG if the developer's intention was to emulate the tabletop experience. If that wasn't their intention then tough luck, it's not an RPG. It's that simple.

But how do you determine that? Visible dice rolls? The character screen looks vaguely like a D&D stat sheet? You take a bite off the game and it tastes just like mom's homemade RPG?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Listen dumbfucks, it's an RPG if the developer's intention was to emulate the tabletop experience. If that wasn't their intention then tough luck, it's not an RPG. It's that simple.

But how do you determine that? Visible dice rolls? The character screen looks vaguely like a D&D stat sheet? You take a bite off the game and it tastes just like mom's homemade RPG?
That too.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Don't mind him. He's resorted to a simple, arbitrary catch-all to define RPGs, in much the same way Christians resort to the Bible to magically explain everything about the universe.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'd also like to know why some of the more monocled of you consider New Vegas one of the top RPGs of all time. Even if you ignore the horrible engine and mechanics implemented by Bethesderp (mostly that Fallout's character system translates horribly into a derpy FPS)... what's so great about this? The factions? You can find that shit in most MMOs. Grind rep with Caeser's Legion! Grind rep with NCR! Grind rep with Boomers!

And please please please don't say 'the writing,' I don't care how good you think the writing is, how can it possibly salvage the rest of the game's flaws? There's nothing wrong with liking a flawed game. I voted for Bloodlines but at least their the core RPG mechanics are sound it's just that publisher issues caused the game to take a massive nosedive right around the sewers/warren section.
:bro:

Deleted member 7219

I wanted to include Jade Empire and Mass Effect, but the PC versions were released more than 6 months after the console ones. I've seen some other people in this thread have included them - I assume those votes will be rejected.
Also, I haven't finished Arcanum, Gothic, Gothic 2, Divine Divinity, Divinity 2 so that is why those games aren't included.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I voted for Bloodlines but at least their the core RPG mechanics are sound
Your ass that they are. They are horribly dumbed down from the source in a level that not even Bethesda could compare.

FNV at least improved SPECIAL in some ways.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You dont like what I write set me on ignore and fuck you very much retardo...oh and to my knowledge they ban people for no-no things, like admiting they pirate games and masturbate with their mommies panties....aint that right Excidium?
You are just too edgy, son. We are trying to save the other posters from getting cut. It's a health concern, not anything personal. Keep it real.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon Age: Origins
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout New Vegas
Gothic 3
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Risen
The Witcher
The Witcher 2

:hmmm::neveraskedforthis::desu:

Sengoku Rance (*)
Recettear (*)
Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone (*)
Elona (*)
Din's Curse w/ Demon War expansion
Dungeons of Dredmor
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Torchlight 1
Torchlight 2
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

:what:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wanted to include Jade Empire and Mass Effect, but the PC versions were released more than 6 months after the console ones. I've seen some other people in this thread have included them - I assume those votes will be rejected.
Also, I haven't finished Arcanum, Gothic, Gothic 2, Divine Divinity, Divinity 2 so that is why those games aren't included.
Mass Effect:
Xbox release: November 20, 2007
Windows release: May 28, 2008
That's just 8 days over the limit. I don't think Jaesun will mind it.
As for Jade Empire: good fucking riddance!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I actually READ both this thread and the voting thread before casting my votes. My head hurts. My reasoning for my votes:

# Some games that others consider worthy of being in the Top 50, like Betrayal of Krondor, Deus Ex, ToEE, Fallout NV and NWN2 MotB, are omitted because I haven't played them, and it would be Wrong to include them. Not that it matters, they're raking in the votes anyway.

# Some games were omitted that I do not believe belong on this list. That includes the Icewind Dale games, all of the Dungeon Master clones (save Legend of Grimrock), and of course, everything related to Bioware.

# Some games were omitted because I wasn't certain whether they could be counted as RPGs, or even hybrid RPGs. Star Control II, for example, is barely an RPG.

# I wanted to try to break Jaesun's rules by posting an RPG that was released on a home computer system in the 1980s that he hadn't mentioned. The only game that fit that came close was Lords of Midnight on the Spectrum, but I'm not certain whether that classifies as an RPG.

# The two Quest for Glory games I nominated are the only games in my list that are "dubious" in any way, being Adventure Game/RPG hybrids. But they're very good games nonetheless, and worthy of mention.

# Of the Ultima games, I nominated 4 because of its uniqueness, 7 because it's an excellent game despite the combat system being crap, and both Underworld games because they are awesome.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It is interesting to see so many action RPGs besides Diablo beign mentioned; I loathe those games but do recognize that a few of them where fun, especialy Beyond Divinity and Titan Quest...
Good to see so much diveristy here, funny how nobody has mentioned any text based games like Zork
There's pretension (and there's a lot of that floating around the Codex) and then there's pure masochism. The lack of people mentioning Zork is encouraging because it means that pretension hasn't reached that level where it pushes people into self-flagelation.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've gathered three-quarters of the Codex (including Cleve, for fuck's sake) were infatuated with Fallout 3 as well. I wouldn't know, I visited this site perhaps a couple dozen times in 2008.
What the fuck?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
# I wanted to try to break Jaesun's rules by posting an RPG that was released on a home computer system in the 1980s that he hadn't mentioned. The only game that fit that came close was Lords of Midnight on the Spectrum, but I'm not certain whether that classifies as an RPG.

Meh, I put in Lords of Midnight. Honestly when you're talking about something that old the system doesn't matter (although the Spectrum is considered a home computer). As to whether or not you can classify it as an RPG... debatable but I shoe horned it in there. I have no reservations about it especially when people are voting for truly dire shit.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
# Some games were omitted that I do not believe belong on this list. That includes the Icewind Dale games, all of the Dungeon Master clones (save Legend of Grimrock), and of course, everything related to Bioware.
DM clones don't belong on that list, but LoG does? What sort of twisted reasoning lies behind that?

Also
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon Age: Origins
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout New Vegas
Gothic 3
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Planescape Torment
Risen
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Holy shit, I noticed long time ago that this guy is dumb, but please have at least some decency ffs.

Deleted member 7219

Actually, it is because some of my favourite CRPGs are ones you don't like. Admit it. If anybody here is dumb, it is you, for failing to recognise people have different opinions. I just saw your list and saw you put Wizardry 8 as one of your favourites. It certainly wouldn't make my list - in fact, I think it is one of the worst games I have ever played - but I wouldn't call someone dumb for liking it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dumb? No. Seriously misguided and in need of extreme reeducation measures? Yes! Only other explanation I can think of is you were born in the 90's. Be not afraid: we are here to help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom