Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPGs - Retards who cannot read and Discussion thread

Deleted member 7219

Dumb? No. Seriously misguided and in need of extreme reeducation measures? Yes! Only other explanation I can think of is you were born in the 90's. Be not afraid: we are here to help.

I was born in the 80s, the 80s.

I'm always open to enjoying new things. The vast majority of the games mentioned by other people in that thread, I haven't played. I can't list those games as my favourite RPGs if I haven't played them. So I listed the ones that I have, and the ones I enjoyed. If I like something, I like it. Even if it is seen by the hivemind as trashy.

One other point: the hivemind is actually quite liberal when it comes to modern CRPGs. I think the vast majority of Codexers think highly of Fallout New Vegas and MotB.

Look, I could forgive New Vegas... but Mass Effect series? You're killing me.

'Forgive New Vegas'? See, this is what makes the Codex seem ridiculous to me. New Vegas is the best RPG to be released in years and you're telling me it is something to be 'forgiven'?

DaveO

Erudite
Hah, hah. Very funny. I only put in KotoR due to something that happens in the game, since I never experienced something like that before. Some would say that what I experienced was already cliche.

Some may be asking why such a short list, but some games called RPGs in my opinion don't qualify.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I didn't put KotOR on my list, but I honestly think the twist was pretty good as far as plot twists go. I have no idea why people rant on it so much oh, right, RPG Codex. Could have put it in tags though, evdk.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If that something is "No, Padawan, you are the Revans" then I do not like you and your taste.

Nope, you're wrong.
Well, now I'm interested. Care to spill the beans, my bull headed friend?

You had your chance and immediately jumped on the most obvious part of the game AND included a spoiler.
My spoiler policy disregards games older then five years, sorry, especially those with twists which have been talked to death here. Madame Bovary commits suicide in the end, btw.

DaveO

Erudite
I don't think I'm spoiling much of the game by saying that you'll encounter some pretty memorable characters. Considering the setting(Star Wars), it's quite amazing that the story elements didn't turn into some Kevin J. Anderson fan-fiction.

Captain Shrek

I don't think I'm spoiling much of the game by saying that you'll encounter some pretty memorable characters. Considering the setting(Star Wars), it's quite amazing that the story elements didn't turn into some Kevin J. Anderson fan-fiction.
Wait what?

memorable characters in KOTOR?

If you were talking about KOTOR 2 I could understand (and even there with trouble if it concerns NPCs).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I have the same sentiments as Captain Shrek here. KotOR2, if nothing else, had some very memorable characters. The original had mainly cardboard cut-outs. Stereotypical council, stereotypical young idealist thief-girl and protector, and so on and so forth. The only original character I recall was Jolee, but even he fell very much into the "grumpy old man" category.

Captain Shrek

The "deliberately trying to get your vote disqualified"-troll has been done to death by now, Shrek...
Except it is not a troll. I do not endorse the retarded qualifications in the OP, that is all.

DaveO

Erudite
Ok, so my reasons may not be the strongest in the world but I still stand by my vote for the game.

One could argue that EVERY character in every RPG made has been stereotypical or cliche in some manner.

DaveO

Erudite
As I said before, the characters and story are the reasons why I voted for KotoR. It was not my intent to suggest there were additional reasons.

I would like to add that I thought that the story was executed better than the characters were(as Grunker correctly pointed out).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can understand why somebody would vote for KotOR. It really was the first "cinematic" Western RPG. At the time it was bringing something new to the table.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
And then KOTOR 2 did the same, but with actually meaningful characters and better cinematography and a story that mattered.
:M

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And then KOTOR 2 did the same, but with actually meaningful characters and better cinematography and a story that mattered.
:M

Weeeeell... I did vote for K2, but DaveO has a point in story-execution. K2 certainly had a more interesting and original plot, better characters and overall better atmosphere, but when it comes to actually executing the story in a meaningful way and making sense of itself, KotOR was pretty much a text-book example of effective writing. It followed a narrative path in a pretty structured manner (in contrast to K2 which just threw all these awesome ideas together and became kind of a mess because of it) and it had a nice curve of excitement.

Plus, you can say a lot to the credit of K2, but KotOR did feel more like Star Wars.

I like both games, and I must admit I don't find much reason to put the original on the list, but it did tell its story way better than K2 did, even if the story itself was more banal.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I feel you put that quite well, as much as I dislike KOTOR I can easily see what you mean. It doesn't mean I agree, mind you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom