Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPGs - Retards who cannot read and Discussion thread

Karmapowered

Augur
Actually, it is because some of my favourite CRPGs are ones you don't like. Admit it. If anybody here is dumb, it is you, for failing to recognise people have different opinions. I just saw your list and saw you put Wizardry 8 as one of your favourites. It certainly wouldn't make my list - in fact, I think it is one of the worst games I have ever played - but I wouldn't call someone dumb for liking it.

You have to realize that most people on these boards have a comfort zone.

If you pull them out of it, with reactionary concepts or bold statements that should only fit a bloodthirsty mainstream bolchevik (EDIT : I'm sure I must look like one to some myself), I bet they'd rather choke on their own drool than admit that something worthwhile could be considered out of it.

This being said, I had a quick look at your list, and I have to admit that you were looking for the reprimand. My humble advice, should you accept it, would be to keep playing.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
# Some games were omitted that I do not believe belong on this list. That includes the Icewind Dale games, all of the Dungeon Master clones (save Legend of Grimrock), and of course, everything related to Bioware.

DM clones don't belong on that list, but LoG does? What sort of twisted reasoning lies behind that?

I'd say that DM clones, or gridcrawlers as I call them, are the subgenre of RPGs that I've played the most. I've spent more time playing the Eye of the Beholder trilogy than can be considered healthy and/or normal, struggled through the PC version of Captive, and actually liked and enjoyed Stonekeep. The only "big titles" in the subgenre I haven't played yet are The Black Crypt and Chaos Strikes Back. And yet, I didn't think or feel that any of them deserve a nomiation except for Dungeon Master, for being the first to make the dungeon really come to life, and then Legend of Grimrock, which has breathed new life into the sub-genre, and will continue to do so for years to come because of the editor. The Alpha and the Omega, you could say.

If I would have added any more gridcrawlers, it would have been Eye of the Beholder 2 and/or Lands of Lore 1.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sengoku Rance is getting more votes... Exxxcellent! A few have selected Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters. I always thought it was more of an adventure or action game then an RPG, but either way it is pretty awesome. Well worth a play through.

Deleted member 7219

I knew putting the ME games on there would be divisive. I completely understand the criticisms people make of those games. But I still like them. They aren't as good RPGs as Fallout or Planescape Torment, nobody sane would ever say otherwise. But I think they are still good games. I'm not the only person who thinks that way on the Codex.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sengoku Rance (*)
Recettear (*)
Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone (*)
Elona (*)
Din's Curse w/ Demon War expansion
Dungeons of Dredmor
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Torchlight 1
Torchlight 2
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

:what:

Why, yes. I was born in the 90's.
I even added my backlog in spoiler tags, the titles there are a greater cause for concern methinks.

Updating my Hirato,txt

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
A few have selected Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters. I always thought it was more of an adventure or action game then an RPG, but either way it is pretty awesome. Well worth a play through.

Tim Cain listed it as his favourite RPG in one of the Project: Eternity vids, so that's more than good enough for me.

Deleted member 7219

Dumb? No. Seriously misguided and in need of extreme reeducation measures? Yes! Only other explanation I can think of is you were born in the 90's. Be not afraid: we are here to help.

I was born in the 80s, the 80s.

I'm always open to enjoying new things. The vast majority of the games mentioned by other people in that thread, I haven't played. I can't list those games as my favourite RPGs if I haven't played them. So I listed the ones that I have, and the ones I enjoyed. If I like something, I like it. Even if it is seen by the hivemind as trashy.

One other point: the hivemind is actually quite liberal when it comes to modern CRPGs. I think the vast majority of Codexers think highly of Fallout New Vegas and MotB.

Cassidy

Arcane
This thread reminds me of why I began to refer to the Codex as a den of mostly Quislings and posers who in truth enjoy shit games catered for idiots and are in just to pretend being hardcore gamers and CRPG fans for the Kodex Kool Kredit, and that stretches much before one of the most notorious days of the Race Traitors/Quislings coming out of their closets, 11/11/11.

Deleted member 7219

This thread reminds me of why I began to refer to the Codex as a den of mostly Quislings and posers who in truth enjoy shit games catered for idiots and are in just to pretend being hardcore gamers and CRPG fans for the Kodex Kool Kredit, and that stretches much before one of the most notorious days of the Race Traitors/Quislings coming out of their closets, 11/11/11.

The Codex has never been like that, for as long as I've known it. Pretty much the only constants you'll get amongst Codexers are that Oblivion is shit and Fallout is good. That's it. Everything else is constantly debated. I've been saying the same kind of shit since I first joined.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

The Codex has never been like that, for as long as I've known it. Pretty much the only constants you'll get amongst Codexers are that Oblivion is shit and Fallout is good. That's it. Everything else is constantly debated. I've been saying the same kind of shit since I first joined.
Yup, the so talked Hivemind is a illusion, the Codex is definetly one of the most diverse game forums around...

Tigranes

Arcane
The only reason the Codex was ever 'hardcore' enough to not like New Vegas or MOTB is because back then those games were not out. We were still looking forward to the next Black Isle game and wondering if NWN will be any good.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
# Some games were omitted that I do not believe belong on this list. That includes the Icewind Dale games, all of the Dungeon Master clones (save Legend of Grimrock), and of course, everything related to Bioware.

DM clones don't belong on that list, but LoG does? What sort of twisted reasoning lies behind that?

I'd say that DM clones, or gridcrawlers as I call them, are the subgenre of RPGs that I've played the most. I've spent more time playing the Eye of the Beholder trilogy than can be considered healthy and/or normal, struggled through the PC version of Captive, and actually liked and enjoyed Stonekeep. The only "big titles" in the subgenre I haven't played yet are The Black Crypt and Chaos Strikes Back.

Congratulations, you managed to miss the two best DM clones (except maybe Grimrock, which I haven't played). But probable just as well, since all later DM clones are an anti-climax after the sublime experience that is CSB.
You really should try it if you like DM clones. But play Black Crypt first.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dumb? No. Seriously misguided and in need of extreme reeducation measures? Yes! Only other explanation I can think of is you were born in the 90's. Be not afraid: we are here to help.

I was born in the 80s, the 80s.

I'm always open to enjoying new things. The vast majority of the games mentioned by other people in that thread, I haven't played. I can't list those games as my favourite RPGs if I haven't played them. So I listed the ones that I have, and the ones I enjoyed. If I like something, I like it. Even if it is seen by the hivemind as trashy.

One other point: the hivemind is actually quite liberal when it comes to modern CRPGs. I think the vast majority of Codexers think highly of Fallout New Vegas and MotB.

Look, I could forgive New Vegas... but Mass Effect series? You're killing me.

Marsal

Arcane
Kind of interesting that Planescape seems like the clear winner so far and it has been on almost all lists, Fallout is a half and half kind of agme and Arcanum might not even make top 10
There are games like Fallout that make the list because they are good. Then there are games like BG2 PS:T that make the list because everything else is shit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A shame, considering how Arcanum, even in it's unfinished state, is a vastly superior RPG than PS:T... God-Emperor MCA's writting is really all that saves PS:T from mediocrity.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You have to realize that most people on these boards have a comfort zone.

If you pull them out of it, with reactionary concepts or bold statements that should only fit a bloodthirsty mainstream bolchevik (EDIT : I'm sure I must look like one to some myself), I bet they'd rather choke on their own drool than admit that something worthwhile could be considered out of it.
Yeah, I'm sure something worthwhile can be considered out of that list. If you read it 7 times.
I'd say that DM clones, or gridcrawlers as I call them, are the subgenre of RPGs that I've played the most. I've spent more time playing the Eye of the Beholder trilogy than can be considered healthy and/or normal, struggled through the PC version of Captive, and actually liked and enjoyed Stonekeep. The only "big titles" in the subgenre I haven't played yet are The Black Crypt and Chaos Strikes Back. And yet, I didn't think or feel that any of them deserve a nomiation except for Dungeon Master, for being the first to make the dungeon really come to life, and then Legend of Grimrock, which has breathed new life into the sub-genre, and will continue to do so for years to come because of the editor. The Alpha and the Omega, you could say.

If I would have added any more gridcrawlers, it would have been Eye of the Beholder 2 and/or Lands of Lore 1.
Fair point I guess, I was just wondering why put only LoG apart from DM, 'cause it's basically a tribute title. I think that the comment about breathing a new life into rt crawlers might be a bit exaggerated, but we shall see. Giving a credit for such a title successfully released in 2012 is not a bad thing, that's for sure.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
PST has lots of things going for it. Writing, sure, but also setting, scope, art, freedom of character development, thought-provoking choices, and interesting takes on traditional IE/D&D cliches like fixed stats and alignments.

Arcanum had a lot of choices, a good chunk of which were dinky and unfulfilling, and a fun setting/premise, but not much else. Boring combat, awkward visuals, many stupid characters, typically stupid Tim Cain The Programmer-inspired writing. Sort of like Fallout 1, really, only three times as long and hence three times the gongshow of loose ends and half-ideas.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Crafting and skills in Arcanum were also kind of boring. You'd add an entire stat point in order to learn how to make a single new thing? And wtf was up with Beauty? That game was HARSH on people of even slightly sub-average appearance. Everybody who met you thought you were scum of the earth and were straight-up MEAN to you. But if you had some Persuasion (or something), you were just one click away from resetting their opinion of you back to Normal. So tacky.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
According to Warren Spector, Deus Ex is not an RPG, it's an Immersive Sim.o_O

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

:roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom