Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPGs - Retards who cannot read and Discussion thread

Karmapowered

Augur
It's an RPG and everyone knows it. This is just the typical hipster Kodex shit over and over again. Incoming pages of what's an RPG.

Yep. It's probably the mother of all cRPGs. Even I who didn't mention it in my list can acknowledge it as such.

Some weird inside joke of the KKKodex again.

No one's yet managed to properly define an RPG.

Let's have at it, for the emptieth time, why not, because honestly THAT would definitely be a breakthrough, and something that would put all the other sites with their banal shit boring RPG lists to shame.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think part of the problem is that many elements or features come together to create an RPG, and not all of them are necessary. Is the game still an RPG when you remove or replace one or more of those elements and features? If not, then what kind of game is it? Perhaps some games that resemble RPGs are considered RPGs simply because they don't fit any other genre label, which leads into my second point: The other part of the problem is that "role-playing game" has been an ambiguous term from the moment it was coined.

Everyone has their pet elements that they enjoy the most, and if one or more of those elements are missing in RPG X, they're inclined to think it's decline... or not an RPG at all.

made

Arcane
RPGCodex:
220px-Ouroboros-simple.svg.png

It's impossible to determine the elements that make up a RPG because you can have several answers that contradict each other, all of them valid. So you'd have a stupid non-answer like "A RPG is a game that may or may not be focused on combat, may or may not be played with a party, may or may not be turn-based, may or may not have skillchecks, may or may not have elves, may or may not...". Everytime I see someone come up with a "definite" answer, five minutes later someone asks "but what about [game]? It didn't have any of those characteristics and it's most certainly a RPG!".

Then the first guy goes :rage:and either admits his definition is gonna have way too many exceptions to be of any use, or goes into denial mode ("The game you mention is not a PURE rpg :obviously:").

Karmapowered

Augur
I think part of the problem is that many elements or features come together to create an RPG, and not all of them are necessary. Is the game still an RPG when you remove or replace one or more of those elements and features? If not, then what kind of game is it? Perhaps some games that resemble RPGs are considered RPGs simply because they don't fit any other genre label, which leads into my second point: The other part of the problem is that "role-playing game" has been an ambiguous term from the moment it was coined.

Everyone has their pet elements that they enjoy the most, and if one or more of those elements are missing in RPG X, they're inclined to think it's decline... or not an RPG at all.

That is a good start.

In my opinion, the answer, whatever it is, will unfold once people stop quantifying RPGs with binary lists, and instead begin to qualify them with tags.

I think that the community around Visual Novels (insert the mandatory rolleyes.gif here) had a good take on how to achieve this for their games : have a look.

Of course, there should be a special <dumbfuck> tag for DA2, but that goes without saying.

It's impossible to determine the elements that make up a RPG because you can have several answers that contradict each other, all of them valid.

Agreed.

That is probably why we should have a very loose definition of it, since there is a good chance that we will never manage anything more concise. Still, this is better than nothing, and probably nothing more than people will ever need if they wish to talk about RPGs in the future.

Over time, the list of valid tags could be discussed, moderated and refined, till we get something (a cloud of tags) consistent and mostly undisputed on the Kodex.

At that point, making lists would imho actually make sense, since we wouldn't be mostly comparing apples to oranges : list of party-based, turn-based dungeon crawlers, list of real-time, sandbox-style with strategic elements, etc.

Gregz

Arcane
I think it's more interesting that the people running these lists are too insecure to allow console games on to the list. I guess then it'd be too clear what the true demographics of the site are.

No, it's good to have separate lists.

Setting up emulators on a PC requires dedication, then you need the USB gamepad etc.

I play both, but I'm glad to have two separate lists for when I'm in the mood for one or the other to try something new.

Much good will come from these top 50s (can we have a top 50 runner-ups too? ;) Still some good games I bet, and worth trying)

Varn

Educated
Lol @ Ultima 7. Adventure games basically. Le turd rpg elements that do exist.

Replaying BG2 ATM with a half-orc babarian dual-wielding axes and flails. Last played it about 8 years ago. Tis a sweet RPG, to be sure. Nails the feeling of progression and being owned if you go the wrong way that is so essential to RPGs. Sweet exploration/unique areas/quests/loot/music too. Not sure about the npcs but they add more flavour than having your own party. Combat is fun and not too many trash mobs. Would have to be a top 5 rpg. Also shows how bad they fucked IWD2, having only just quit that after giving up in the ghey time paradox quest.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've gathered three-quarters of the Codex (including Cleve, for fuck's sake) were infatuated with Fallout 3 as well. I wouldn't know, I visited this site perhaps a couple dozen times in 2008.

At least Codexians experience a deep sense of shame for their bad taste after the fact and pretend it never happened.

Karmapowered

Augur
Much good will come from these top 50s (can we have a top 50 runner-ups too? ;) Still some good games I bet, and worth trying)

I think we all should have a permanent (updatable) list of favorite cRPGs in our profiles.

Nothing tells more about an individual than his poor (or refined!) tastes in such a crucial matter.

Limit it to 10 items, 25, or whatever, but force people to actually think about it, so that we'd actually have something worthwhile to see when clicking on those avatars.

Without going fully gung-ho and recreating the Facebook of RPGs, that could be another feature setting the Kodex apart from the competition.

It would also make such data gathering operations for lists less of a hassle for Jaesun, or whoever wishes to repeat them in the future.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I can't believe it took this many pages for "BUT WHAT IS AN RPG"

Listen dumbfucks, it's an RPG if the developer's intention was to emulate the tabletop experience. If that wasn't their intention then tough luck, it's not an RPG. It's that simple.

And stop labeling shit as if there's sort of scale of RPGness. It either is an RPG or is not. "Durr Turn-based Tactics 2 is more of an RPG than Shooter with Inventory Management"

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Listen dumbfucks, it's an RPG if the developer's intention was to emulate the tabletop experience.

That's stupid, arbitrary, entirely subjective and indefensible with anything approaching logic, but I'd love to watch you try.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Truly, this is the worst new member season.

I knew join date and post count would be substituted for having an actual argument of any substance. I didn't want to say so in advance and spoil it, but I was counting down the seconds.

Karmapowered

Augur
Listen dumbfucks, it's an RPG if the developer's intention was to emulate the tabletop experience.

That's stupid, arbitrary, entirely subjective and indefensible with anything approaching logic, but I'd love to watch you try.

Meet beta male #345 on the Kodex, so e-peen insecure that he has nothing to add but the usual insults copypasta'ed from another thread.

Move along, nothing to see here (at least I wouldn't expect much).

EDIT : Well, it seems that one can disagree on the Kodex on what a RPG should be, but be spot on when pricks lurk about. That's reassuring :)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Excidium should set up his own Kickstarter campaign to "emulate the tabletop experience." The pitch video will start something like this:

"Hello, everyone! I'm Excidium. As you some of you old-school RPG fans are probably aware, I registered for RPG Codex in 2009 and have over 5,000 posts there. I'm really excited about my new project, and given my track record, I'm sure you will be too."

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

That is a good start.

In my opinion, the answer, whatever it is, will unfold once people stop quantifying RPGs with binary lists, and instead begin to qualify them with tags.

I think that the community around Visual Novels (insert the mandatory rolleyes.gif here) had a good take on how to achieve this for their games : have a look.

Of course, there should be a special <dumbfuck> tag for DA2, but that goes without saying.

It's impossible to determine the elements that make up a RPG because you can have several answers that contradict each other, all of them valid.

Agreed.

That is probably why we should have a very loose definition of it, since there is a good chance that we will never manage anything more concise. Still, this is better than nothing, and probably nothing more than people will ever need if they wish to talk about RPGs in the future.

Over time, the list of valid tags could be discussed, moderated and refined, till we get something (a cloud of tags) consistent and mostly undisputed on the Kodex.

At that point, making lists would imho actually make sense, since we wouldn't be mostly comparing apples to oranges : list of party-based, turn-based dungeon crawlers, list of real-time, sandbox-style with strategic elements, etc.
That's exactly what I'm proposing: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...d-discussion-thread.78213/page-9#post-2382302. I just created a new thread in RPG Discussion about it: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-taxonomy.78259/ . If we make this happen, we could finally put this "What is a RPG?" discussion to rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom