Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Which RPG has the best system you have ever played? Vagrant Story?
I'm probably forgetting a lot of good ones, but here's a quick list of what I think was interesintig:

FFT's job system;
FF X's sphere grid (expanded on FF XII - Zodiac Job System);
FF XII's party AI customization;
Chrono Trigger's party combo attacks;
Breath of Fire III dragon forms;
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis medal system;
FF VIII's Triple Triad;
Valkyria Chronicles presentation of combat;
Vagrant Story's entire combat system.

I have not played those bold games. Which one would you recommend?

I refuse to touch FF8.

Delterius

Arcane
FFX's sphere grid wasn't that interesting though, but the combat itself is solid.

Valkyria Chronicles (I played the second one) is that which allows people everywhere to utter the words 'FP Turn Based Shooter' and not be crazy about it.
(as much as I like games like Vagrant Story and Dark Souls, they don't belong on this list)
Dark Souls does, as it was ported to PC.
The 'ports rule' was made to accomodate Dark Souls specifically.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The sphere grid was actually pretty terrible. It doesn't give you any real choices until you've filled out a character's grid, and even then your only real choice is which grid to fill next. And by that point in the game there's nothing interesting left to fight except the arena bosses.

See http://gameinternals.com/post/3364162387/straightening-out-final-fantasy-xs-sphere-grid

Also, I would've liked to see Chrono Trigger's combo attacks expanded on and used in something else.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The sphere grid was actually pretty terrible. It doesn't give you any real choices until you've filled out a character's grid, and even then your only real choice is which grid to fill next. And by that point in the game there's nothing interesting left to fight except the arena bosses.

See http://gameinternals.com/post/3364162387/straightening-out-final-fantasy-xs-sphere-grid.
Nonsense. Visualize each character grid as a class, and you have 7 classes that you can mix to build your characters, and each one has a starting "favorite" role. Even Yuna, that he claims is the most linear, you can get a lv 2 key a few hours in and unlock Kilinari's grid, and that gives you access to almost every other character's grid, locked behind a common Lv 1 lock.

And even if you disagree with all that, the guy himself says that they fixed it on the Expert Sphere Grid of the International version.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FFT's job system;
FF X's sphere grid (expanded on FF XII - Zodiac Job System);
FF XII's party AI customization;
Chrono Trigger's party combo attacks;
Breath of Fire III dragon forms;
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis medal system;
FF VIII's Triple Triad;
Valkyria Chronicles presentation of combat;
Vagrant Story's entire combat system.
Golden Sun dungeon puzzles.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
That I did. And I ain't even half-way ashamed of it. How you've managed not to notice that I like the game considering how many times I've praised it, I have no idea. I agree very much with Vault Dweller (review) when it comes to that DA:O.

DragoFireheart

That I did. And I ain't even half-way ashamed of it. How you've managed not to notice that I love the game considering how many times I've praised it, I have no idea. I agree very much with Vault Dweller (review) when it comes to that DA:O.

Lemme guess, you loved the Deep Roads and thought they were well designed. :troll:

DA:O is just a bad, 3D version of BG2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I do agree that the whole Jarl Castle area was one of the better examples of area C&C I've seen in a RPG. I also liked to hunt for prestige classes.

It's not a fantastic game, but it does a lot right.

Dragon Age Origins, Icewind Dale 2 and The Witcher all have in common large amounts of votes, but all with only 1 or 2 points assigned. I find it fitting.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes. I liked the Deep Roads. VD didn't though. For me, it felt like some of the exhaustive dungeons of old, where you'd be pushed to the limits of your patience, but feel as though you'd been through a journey afterwards. If you want a sig-quote, how about this: I COMPLETED DA:O 3 TIMES (once as each class)

My chief criticisms of DA:O is linearity, formulaic design and (this is my personal WORST OF DA:O winner) complete lack of itemization.

DragoFireheart

Yes. I liked the Deep Roads. VD didn't though. For me, it felt like some of the exhaustive dungeons of old, where you'd be pushed to the limits of your patience, but feel as though you'd been through a journey afterwards.

It COULD have been a journey. But it wasn't.

The chapters in BG2 where you are in other places and hunting Jon Irenicus ARE a journey.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I agree with some of the above, Jarl Castle, some of the C&C is good e.t.c. I don't mean to say that the game has no redeeming features.

But it's also a story driven game with writing that's complete shite. I don't think there is a single compelling main character in that game, and the story is as cliché as it gets. Seriously, if you are going to do a story driven game at least try to get it right. To me it was insufferable. And it's not like you can play the game for its stellar mechanics, since it plays like an offline MMO. The only thing it has going for it is its high production value (and some attempts at C&C), but beneath that it's as uninspired as it gets.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I also think DA:O is a pretty good game and liking it (if one acknowledges its faults) isn't something anyone should be ashamed of, especially on the Codex - after all, it was voted the best game of 2009 on this very forum. :P

2ykduls.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
ewww, some people are actually voting for Kotor 1 and Dragon Age origins.

$10 says MetalCraze / Skyway voted for Kotor 1. He did play it 7 times!

Not sure which moron voted for DA:O.
In case you're planning on holding a lynching, or something:
DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS
veryalien 5pt
Themadcow 4pt
IDtenT 3pt
Rhuantaven 3pt
Grunker 2pt
imweasel 2pt
Delterius 2pt
Sser 1pt
Tuluse 1pt
VioletShadow 1pt
Sunsetspawn 1pt
Space Satan 1pt
dr. one 1pt
eightman2k 1pt
nordbird 1pt
DemonKing 1pt
msxyz 1pt
Matt7895 1pt
Riel 1pt
norolim 1pt
DalekFlay 1pt

DRAGON AGE 2
Dreaad 1pt
Public votes are awesome, aren't they?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If all those people voted for the clearly superior BL2 instead...

Philistines.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom