Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Arcanum is an honorable mention on my list. I award it half a potato for being a flawed gem. ToEE has an awesome combat system but the content itself is so boring that I have no interest in playing it. Still haven't played VTMB.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Is there even a cRPG that excels or is at least above average in all categories? (defined below)

- Combat system
- Story
- Writing
- Lore
- Non-combat

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We now have 186 votes accounted for, and I did a by date graph, just for fun:

TDLin0G.jpg

If anyone was wondering about how bad some years really were...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Is there even a cRPG that excels or is at least above average in all categories? (defined below)

- Combat system
- Story
- Writing
- Lore
- Non-combat

Betrayal at Krondor.

We now have 186 votes accounted for, and I did a by date graph, just for fun:

TDLin0G.jpg

If anyone was wondering about how bad some years really were...

From 1990 to 2002 is is just as I would have expected. 1992-1993 was the peak years for classic CRPGs, and 1998-2002 was the "Renaissance".
But the graph does not reflect that 1989 was a good year: Chaos Strikes Back, Magic Candle, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Dark Heart of Uukrul and Dragon Wars.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There were DHoU votes, but it didn't get into the top 50(?) and so it doesn't appear in a top 50 'by year' graph

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Same way there are older games very close to the Top 50. The Top of the list is set in stone, but a lot is still changing in the 40-50...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
...and you should have gone with my suggested system. This one penalises games where the voter has played a lot of titles (if you're looking at averages) or if you're doing a cumulative system it still favours popular games over older titles that less people have played.
You basically wanted to create a codex IMDB. While it probably is a good idea, it's a lot of work.

Go ahead and set up one up though, I'll go through and vote for the RPGs I've played.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The current list has 203 RPGs voted for. I'm certainly not a big expert, but I've played more than 50 of those, maybe even 70. No fucking way I would sit down in front of a survey and rate all of them. That's the flaw of that system.

DragoFireheart

The current list has 203 RPGs voted for. I'm certainly not a big expert, but I've played more than 50 of those, maybe even 70. No fucking way I would sit down in front of a survey and rate all of them. That's the flaw of that system.

Are even 30 of those worth playing according to Codex standards?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Are even 30 of those worth playing according to Codex standards?
Sure. But I've probably played even more of jRPGs and generally non-Codex approved RPGs.... :3

FFS, just the Final Fantasies and spin-offs are like 15 games.

DragoFireheart

Sure. But I've probably played even more of jRPGs and generally non-Codex approved RPGs.... :3

FFS, just the Final Fantasies and spin-offs are like 15 games.

Ah, the good old days when FF games were high quality and grinding for rare drops or leveling up your characters to the max was "fun".

And don't let anyone give you a hard time for playing non-Codex approved RPGs. Incline is not limited only to the realm sof old Fallouts, JA2, and MCA.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
...and you should have gone with my suggested system. This one penalises games where the voter has played a lot of titles (if you're looking at averages) or if you're doing a cumulative system it still favours popular games over older titles that less people have played.
You basically wanted to create a codex IMDB. While it probably is a good idea, it's a lot of work.

Go ahead and set up one up though, I'll go through and vote for the RPGs I've played.

Codex IMDB would be cool as shit, but it sounds like a ton of work. The database on TC from old Codexia was pretty terrible, and even that probably took some work.

Spockrock

Augur
Planescape - best RPG ever? get the fuck outta here :killit:

that's like saying Temple of Elemental Evil is the best RPG ever because it has the best combat system. If I were to pick a single game it would be Baldur's Gate 2, just because it's above average at everything it does.

DragoFireheart

Its no full scale rpg, certainly.

I still remember the screeches of Aerie. I also despise the pathway system, the battle system's half-asses retardation, and the linearity of it. The only thing I enjoyed were the side-quests. Main story is shit.

Mastermind: You are an asshole for choosing this avatard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Like the new system. Allowed me to put points where it truly counted while also giving a courtesy point to new shit like Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Was hard for me to resist throwing a single point at Skyrim for funsies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You have successfully removed DalekFlay from your BROlist.

:negative:

One courtesy point for the new shit, like a cup of coffee for the depression-fueled bar slut bang from the night before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom