Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Fangshi

Arcane
Blasterhead said:
I'm curious to hear what people prefer in these over the more recent title.

While I like all three games I prefer 7 to 8, my reasons briefly:
1. a larger world,
2. more enjoyable puzzles
3. I remember being blown away by the enemy parties that could actually compete with the player (also I liked the diplomacy system in general)
4. I prefer the atmosphere, story and world of 7
5. and well, umm I find it to be prettier than 8 (fairly subjective I know)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Both Wizardry 6 and 7 have more charm, depth, a better story and are far more inspired graphically and content-wise than Wizardry 8 (made by another team).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
English version vs. uncensored German version:

6_Screenshots_of_Fate_Gates_of_Dawn.png

:lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I see a lot of people voting for Wizardry VI or VII over 8. I'm curious to hear what people prefer in these over the more recent title.

I can't vote for a game I haven't played (yet).
I guess it's the same reason why games like for example the Ultima Underworld and the Gold Box games don't get more votes - not enough people have played them.

While I've played to my heart's content in 8 I've barely played VI & none of VII. I've always contemplated a full, single-party playthrough of the trilogy (I'm not averse to older dungeon crawlers by any means), but realistically it isn't going to happen any time soon. What's the codex consesus on the earlier titles?

I thought Wiz 6 had excellent background story/setting/atmosphere, good level design and just the right amount of combat and "accounting".
Wiz 7 was too long, had too much fighting of the same enemies, too much "accounting" (multi classing is a must if you want max magic skills before the end game). The main improvement was the dynamic NPCs, but that kind of fizzled out halfway through the game. Wiz 7 is still a good game, though.

Last edited:

TripJack

Hedonist
so the point of doing this list again is what exactly?

did a bunch of really good crpgs come out in the 6 months since the last one? :dance:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Let's say we are preparing for that marvelous promised incline of 2014.

I find all the previous lists lacking, so I think we should have a "definitive one", and since it has been 3 years now since the last decent RPGs (New Vegas, Dark Souls and Divinity II) were released, everyone can vote without being clouded by hype.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's say we are preparing for that marvelous promised incline of 2014.

I find all the previous lists lacking, so I think we should have a "definitive one", and since it has been 3 years now since the last decent RPGs (New Vegas, Dark Souls and Divinity II) were released, everyone can vote without being clouded by hype.
Let's keep voting until we can all agree with the results!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
felipepepe
BTW now that votes for various DLCs and expansions are legitimate, I demand my votes for BL2 DLCs be counted! Are you afraid that superior games would win your little poll?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It doesn't change anything really, even IF I register your and poocolator votes as legit, they'll just be all tied with 10 points, far bellow the entry line to this glorious list.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
5 each:

Ultima 7 SI
Darklands
Seventh Sense: Lone Wolf Adventures
FLAPP
Age of Decadence
Bro, you went through all the trouble of registering already just for this, at least read the rules (can't vote for Age of Decadence, it wasn't fully released yet) and vote on the right thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codexs-best-crpgs-vote-only-thread.88946/

Political corruption at the highest level in this polling.
I'm brazilian, what you expected?

BTW, with your votes for Saints Row, we just reached 200 RPGs (?) voted for. Cool.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If it makes you feel better... Now Borderlands 2, Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep are now all with 10 points, tied at #63. Hurray.

Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage only got 5 points, so it is at #84.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
So is Star Control 2 not considered an RPG around these parts? I only ask because it seems I'm the only one who voted for it. Anyway, I stand by my decision not only because I feel it's justified, but now it gives me hipster cred.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The thing is such a poll is that you can vote for whatever you think is an RPG, and if enough people agree with you, it will be on the list. The most obvious example is probably King of Dragon Pass.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I see a lot of people voting for Wizardry VI or VII over 8. I'm curious to hear what people prefer in these over the more recent title.

What I'm more puzzled by are people who give a lot of points to both Wiz6 and Wz8 but don't include Wiz7 at all. Haven't they played W7? Because that's the only explanation I can think of.

Sure, taste is subjective and all that and some youngster newfag graphics whores might prefer W8 but for people who have played all three and included only the first and the last, I'd like to ask - in what universe exactly is W7 the worst of them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom