Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

Deleted member 7219

I don't see why we need to do another list. It's not like anything interesting has come out since the last one.

Same here, but every time I see one of these things I still have to vote so games like Wizardry 8 don't end up beating actual RPGs.

SausageInYourFace

Codexian Sausage
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
As opposed to the other games, they are even both called Ultima 7 and if most people perceive them as the same game anyway, why force a split?

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Based on this, I intent to count all U7, NWN 1 and BGII votes as the base game, and all NWN 2 votes as "Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer", unless someone has a better idea.
I voted for Shadows of Undrentide and if you're going to count it as a vote for NWN OC, I'd much prefer to give this one point to something that is not shit. Should I edit?

Also, I don't like the idea of giving all NWN2 votes to MotB. Some people actually like NWN2 and doing this your way would mean it'd get thrown off the race completely, while giving MotB an unfair advantage.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, the vote thread shows that the codex has missed the greatest rpg of all time: Fate: Gates of Dawn.

This makes me sad guys :(

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, it's true that would be unfair to those that specifically voted for the OC. I'll just keep all them apart then.

Every game and expansion will be kept apart, the exception being Might & Magic: World of Xeen, since they were intended as a single game and when combined you have extra content, and Gothic 2 + Night of the Raven, since it wasn't even available in english without the expansion.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Based on this, I intent to count all U7, NWN 1 and BGII votes as the base game, and all NWN 2 votes as "Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer", unless someone has a better idea.
so basically people wanted to emphasize that they do not like the base game by voting for an add on (nwn1) or that they actually thought the basic game wasn't so bad as everyone says and voted for it instead of voting for the add on (nwn2) and you want to make that irrelevant by manipulating votes?
it's not like the list ranks even say something about the actual quality (as and) of an rpg, just about its popularity as a game. absolutely no reason for you to fuck with them.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Imo, you should count votes for NWN2/MotB or U7P1/P2 both separately and together, so that in the final rating you could list them together (say, "NWN2 + expansions") but also break it down into how many people voted for OC compared to MotB and SoZ (i.e. "NWN2+expansions takes 11th place, but that's mostly thanks to MotB, with 98 people out of 100 to have voted for it").

buzz

Arcane
Man, the vote thread shows that the codex has missed the greatest rpg of all time: Fate: Gates of Dawn.

The curse of being an Amiga game. Same thing happened with Legends and Ambermoon and Lords of Chaos.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, you're right, they even have a expansion each. Ok, so I'll keep Black Gate and Serpent Isle apart.

Doctor Sbaitso, LESS T_T , :Flash:, Onyxme, Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd and Mortmal , you people simply voted "Ultima 7". Specify now, do you mean Black Gate or Serpent Isle?

Tough choice.... If i had to only pick one i pick serpent isle .The gameplay was similar but story was superior and areas much more alien.

Does Guild Wars count as a CRPG? And if so, do the three campaigns count as separate games?

I think so, guildwars allow a large variety of builds and party creation, full inventory ,questing . It's multiplayer but it feels more like a rpg than mass effect and latest bioware stuff .

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
It's multiplayer but it feels more like a rpg than mass effect and latest bioware stuff .
lolwat? i love gw and it's a much better game but me is objectively the better rpg since it has c&c in your build (no such thing when you can respec nearly without limitations) and its skillsystem, though shittier, is tied to social, combat and world interaction. no such thing in gw.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's multiplayer but it feels more like a rpg than mass effect and latest bioware stuff .
lolwat? i love gw and it's a much better game but me is objectively the better rpg since it has c&c in your build (no such thing when you can respec nearly without limitations) and its skillsystem, though shittier, is tied to social, combat and world interaction. no such thing in gw.

I start to think that C&C is overrated in computer rpgs ,guild wars has none but i had much more pleasure, and feel much more freedom, testing characters and party builds collecting elite skills , making armor sets than the fake pseudo choices and consequences you get in mass effect. Most of the praised classic(BG, wizardry, ultima , might and magic, gold box) had no C&C at all yet i still prefer them. I will take a good story and combat system above C&C .
Ideally the best is having both but its ultra rare.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

I start to think that C&C is overrated in computer rpgs ,guild wars has none but i had much more pleasure, and feel much more freedom, testing characters and party builds collecting elite skills , making armor sets than the fake pseudo choices and consequences you get in mass effect. Most of the praised classic(BG, wizardry, ultima , might and magic, gold box) had no C&C at all yet i still prefer them. I will take a good story and combat system above C&C .
Ideally the best is having both but its ultra rare.
i wasn't talking about c&c as such, just the fact that the build you chose for your character in me has a lasting effect on your gameplay, whereas in gw it has not since you can freely respec outside of changing primary class and outside of pvp with the meta partybuilds even your primary class becomes mostly irrelevant. the more important point is that the mechanics extend beyond combat, which they do not in gw (or u7, for that matter) and that is an absolute requirement for anything that wants to be an actual rpg.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Ultima7 complete. If that is ott allowed, Black Gate. Also if complete is not allowed, others should jae to specify original or expanded.

I don't see why we need to do another list. It's not like anything interesting has come out since the last one.

Same here, but every time I see one of these things I still have to vote so games like Wizardry 8 don't end up beating actual RPGs.
Working hard for that dumbfuck tag.

And seriously, why are all these faggots voting for BG 1 and 2? Way too many faggots on this forum.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
And seriously, why are all these faggots voting for BG 1 and 2? Way too many faggots on this forum.
Baldur's Gate 2 is a legitimately good game, and considering that we can't describe most RPGs without using the word shit at some point it's not that surprising that "good" is enough to end up in the top 5.

Deleted member 7219

Matt7895's definition of an "actual RPG" includes Dragon Age and Mass Effect, if I recall correctly.

No, it includes Fallout and Planescape Torment. Not dungeon crawlers with some stats thrown in.

Blasterhead

Educated
I see a lot of people voting for Wizardry VI or VII over 8. I'm curious to hear what people prefer in these over the more recent title.

While I've played to my heart's content in 8 I've barely played VI & none of VII. I've always contemplated a full, single-party playthrough of the trilogy (I'm not averse to older dungeon crawlers by any means), but realistically it isn't going to happen any time soon. What's the codex consesus on the earlier titles?

Zetor

Arcane
I see a lot of people voting for Wizardry VI or VII over 8. I'm curious to hear what people prefer in these over the more recent title.

While I've played to my heart's content in 8 I've barely played VI & none of VII. I've always contemplated a full, single-party playthrough of the trilogy (I'm not averse to older dungeon crawlers by any means), but realistically it isn't going to happen any time soon. What's the codex consesus on the earlier titles?
Wiz6 is pretty janky and inconsistent... I didn't like it too much. Wiz7 is really good, though it's easy to "break" it by super-multiclassing. I put Wiz8 above both of them because IMO the combat / class system has been greatly improved.

Fate has a pretty big cult following in Hungary (as does Wiz7, btw). I don't think that game was ever released for the PC, though, which may disqualify it from the running...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom