Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why? Lurkers constitute the majority of the codex.
Eh, complex thing... There are way more lurkers than regular posters, that's for sure. But if they don't post, then what they bring up to the Codex? Why are they "part" of it?

Isn't thay like doing "The Best RPGs according to the New York Times", and asking the readers instead of the reporters?

We constitute the rest of the crowd with similar affinities ? Without the lurkers, you're just a couple nerds 'sperging about games who don't represent much and don't need to be taken in consideration by anyone making games... ;)
Don't know, just playing devil's advocate here.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, complex thing... There are way more lurkers than regular posters, that's for sure. But if they don't post, then what they bring up to the Codex? Why are they "part" of it?

Isn't thay like doing "The Best RPGs according to the New York Times", and asking the readers instead of the reporters?
This is a reader's choice awards though.

If we just wanted an active posters list, we could ask DU to make a special sub-forum and do the voting in there.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
buzz and DwarvenFood , just confirm if you guys really don't want to spend all 25 points, or just suck at math.

And coldcrow, Spockrock and Exar Kun , the list is PC only, shitty publishers never ported Chrono Trigger, FF IX nor SMT: Nocturne to PC. And no, emulators don't count.

Don't know, just playing devil's advocate here.
Yeah, same here, wasn't intended as a offense or anything.

But I honestly find kind of creepy you guys just watching us, like we were a text-based reality show about a bunch of nerds 'sperging about game.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tuluse why do you think the last idea is terrible? People already have a granular appreciation for RPGs. It's a bit silly to compare PST with Gothic and Jagged Alliance, and yet this list is doing just that. Doing categories would at least give games the correct praise they deserve.
All categories are terrible. Take for example best story or best writing. That means a linear game like PS:T is pitted against an open world like Fallout and Arcanum. With the latter two, they had to account for players doing things in any order, while in the first, you know when a player is going to reach certain NPCs. It doesn't solve the problems of comparing apples and oranges. Instead you're comparing apples and oranges on specific criteria. What has the best skin an apple or an orange? An apple's skin can be eaten and tastes good, while an orange's skin protects the fruit inside, you don't have to wash it, and can be used as an air freshener. Did that category help clear up anything? No, it's just arbitrary.

Also, the vote is not trying to determine what the "best" anything is. It's trying to determine what the most loved RPGs on the codex are. It's a subtle, but important distinction. The last vote determined what the most popular RPGs on the codex were, but then the results were mis-titled.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The current system is working pretty well IMHO.

It never has been so clear how much the Codex loves Fallout 1 and Planet Escape: Tournament. They are not only leading the points rank by a MASSIVE margin (even to F2), but they also have the most votes AND the highest average amount of points spend. Not only almost everyone votes for them, but they vote spending large amounts of points (3,6 on average).

And the list is solid until around #60. Releasing a "The Codex's Top 50 cRPGs" list should be interesting and helpful for a lot of people looking for new games.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
Also, the vote is not trying to determine what the "best" anything is. It's trying to determine what the most loved RPGs on the codex are. It's a subtle, but important distinction. The last vote determined what the most popular RPGs on the codex were, but then the results were mis-titled.
Oh, sorry about the confusion. I must've misread the title which is "RPG Codex's best crpgs"
:rpgcodex:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I wasn't too thrilled about this voting system at first but it's looking more and more interesting - it will definitely be intriguing to see the average number of points spent per game in the final list!

imweasel

What we need is a voting app for Xenforo, it would certainly save felipepepe a lot of trouble.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What we need is a voting app for Xenforo, it would certainly save felipepepe a lot of trouble.
I'm doing it all between AE renders anyway, no big deal. Using Excel at work might even make me look good. :lol:

If I wanted, could just make everything via online pool websites, like surveymonkey, but I like that people can see others vote and comment or get inspired by it.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What we need for a is silent and calm poll is everybody agreeing to each other in principle and living with it. That's boring as fuck, and that's also how niggers and jews would do it, but it would be efficient.

Last edited:

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Punching white people in the face and endlessly haggling is now called "everybody agreeing to each other in principle and living with it?"

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I think Ultima 7 should be counted only as one game. The same with NWN + Mask of the Betrayer.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think Ultima 7 should be counted only as one game. The same with NWN + Mask of the Betrayer.

As long as the campaign of the expansion is not a part of the original game campaign, it should count separately. Thus MOTB and Serpent Isle should count separately, while Dead Money for New Vegas shouldn't.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was thinking about this... I now have 153 votes accounted for, and I think is enough of a sample to take some decisions.

The only games we have people voting for the base game and the expansions are Ultima 7, NWN 1 & 2 and Baldur's Gate II.

When people voted for Ultima 7, they mostly just vote "Ultima 7", with only few people specifying "Black Gate" or "Serpent Isle". Same thing for NWN 1 and Baldur's Gate 2; most people vote for the base game, with only one vote for the expansions on each case. NWN 2, on the other hand, the overwhelming majority vote "Mask of the Betrayer", with only two people voting "NWN 2".

Based on this, I intent to count all U7, NWN 1 and BGII votes as the base game, and all NWN 2 votes as "Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer", unless someone has a better idea.

The other suggestion was joining votes for M&M 6-8. Both M&M 6 and M&M 7 are on the Top 30, and are fully separated numbered games of the series, never being fused like in World of Xeen, so I'll keep them as separate games. Counting the votes as one would just be unfair M&M favoritism, since i'm not doing it to Wizardry 1-4, Geneforge, Quest for Glory or any other similar series.

As long as the campaign of the expansion is not a part of the original game campaign, it should count separately. Thus MOTB and Serpent Isle should count separately, while Dead Money for New Vegas shouldn't.
I see no difference. In Dead Money you take your current party to a area of the original map, and that takes you to a unconnected new expansion area, just like in Serpent Isle.

EDIT: Fuck, I went to check on this, I remembered wrong, Serpent Isle doesn't work like that and even has a time jump... fuck. Now I'm unsure....

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Serpent Isle was a seperate, standalone release back in 1993. Only afterwards were the two games bundled together in compilations and revisionism.

They're two seperate games, telling the same story. Treat them as such.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Separate them. It's important information (that serpent isle is much better than black gate trolololol)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom