Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Why are fags giving Baldur's Gate such high scores?

Considering there's only 3 of them in the series...
I can see why BG2 gives them loads and loads of points - what other game is really 'mainstream classic' that is still replayed today and even given a HD Remake?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Why are fags not giving my favorite 1988 RPG higher scores?

(Though it's actually 1991)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why are fags giving Baldur's Gate such high scores?

... because its a meatier version of the only RPGs they've ever played (2000s RPGs).

I gave Baldur's Gate 2 one point. I would have preferred to give it none since I thought Hordes of the Underdark was a better version of that kind of RPG (preserving the good content while parsing out the bad), but I split the two points between BG2's influence and and HotU's higher quality.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I find amusing just how many lurkers come out of hiding just to vote. Some register just for it, but most have almost year-old accounts with no posts and finally post now...

We usuallt rule that the latest year can't vote, IIRC, to shut out alts. So that would be 2013.

RK47

Patron
separate the 2013 votes and see what it says. im curious :lol:

RK47

Patron
Didn't vote at all. I think I'll just see how the list turns out.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm starting to sense another "what is an RPG" discussion coming on. Time to forget this thread existed, nothing productive will come out of going down that dark path.

Zetor

Arcane
The RPG is a weaker Soviet version of the LAW, duh.

e: also, more people need to vote for Freedom Force and/or Superhero League of Hoboken. Keep the superhero RPG dream alive!!11

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
It will be interesting to see which RPG series will rank best as a whole. Obviously, Fallout will be first, but then we have Wizardry, Might & Magic, Ultima, Goldbox, Baldur's Gate, IWD, and so on.
Using all the current votes, these are the best franchises so far:
  1. Fallout 519
  2. Baldur's Gate 187
  3. Wizardry 165
  4. Ultima 115
  5. Elder Scrolls 113
  6. Gothic 100
  7. Deus Ex 76
  8. Might and Magic 74
  9. KotOR 64
  10. Neverwinter Nights 58
  11. System Shock 47
  12. Realms of Arkania 37
  13. Icewind Dale 35
  14. The Witcher 34
  15. Gold Box 28
  16. Quest for Glory 27
  17. Divinity 19
  18. Dungeon Master 15
  19. Geneforge 15
  20. Mass Effect 9
Doesn't really say anything, the regular list is more prestigious and respectful.
I don't thinks franchises that only have two games in them should be considered series.

Zeriel

Arcane
I played it for a few minutes and thought the writing, character system, and combat were all banal.

Plus I can't stand step-based-first-person exploration anymore.

If this isn't proof that your taste in games is literally the worst ever, I'm not sure what would be.

Like the character system, okay. The combat... debatable, but okay. But the writing? Considering the things you have admitted to liking, that's absurd.

Zetor

Arcane
Not everyone likes Feist. That said, BaK was the only game that had better-than-mediocre writing at the time, so yeah.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find amusing just how many lurkers come out of hiding just to vote. Some register just for it, but most have almost year-old accounts with no posts and finally post now...
We usuallt rule that the latest year can't vote, IIRC, to shut out alts. So that would be 2013.
I could easily do that, but I don't think it will change much... most of the lurkers all have old accounts, like 2010 or 2008. A 2013 limit would only remove the newfags, but their votes all seem legit.

I'll keep an eye on it, if things go bad I'll consider filtering by post count or something.

Blasterhead

Educated
In my view, only completely different content, like Mask of the Betrayer expansion for NWN 2 or Nehrim mod for Oblivion, that count as a separate game.

I see no point in making a separate count for JA 2 and JA 2 1.13, Baldur's Gate with WeiDU, Dark Souls with DSfix or whatever...

'Mount & Blade: Warband' & 'Mount & Blade' votes should most likely be merged on these terms.

M&B isn't what I would call a great game, and its more traditional RPG mechanics aren't its strong points. On the other hand, despite its many glaring flaws, it is both fun and unique. I'm actually surprised that the niche it is currently filling hasn't been thoroughly mined by the industry. I predict that it will be eventually surpassed by a superior product and that this title won't ever really deserve to be called a classic--it's far too wonky a combination of unrealised mechanics, with certain portions of the game feeling wildly unpolished. But until that happens it has a place on my list. I would put it in the tradition of Sid Meier's Pirates! and (the superior) Sword of the Samurai, rather than your standard lineage of RPGs, and both of those are far more well-rounded packages. Actually, fuck, I might add Sword of the Samurai to my list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom