Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Feist didn't write for BaK apparently.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Not all the time :smug:
krondor_059-2.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looking pretty 80s for something that's supposed to be comparable to 14-15th century Europe. Hairspray is a 20th century product. :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Does betrayal at krondor pass the bechdel test ? :livejournal:

no, it's first person and none of the party members are women

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they used real life photos for that game with some touch-ups, so that criticism is kind of silly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm pretty sure they used real life photos for that game with some touch-ups, so that criticism is kind of silly.
It's still a deliberate choice to go with that hairstyle.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

buzz

Arcane
These types of lists are silly, almost straying into apple and oranges territory at points. Come on, we aren't Neogaf or something like that :rpgcodex:

Next year the voting system should be spiced up even more. Some examples:
- split the vote by RPG "eras", say golden age (85-95) and modern age (95-05) and decline age :troll:
- split the vote by sub-genres and sub-sub-genres (say, diablo-like action RPGs and third/first person action RPGs)
- make a (giant) list of RPGs, have people rate them individually, then rank them by the medium value of their scores
- make multiple categories such as "best story", "best character creation/development system", "best TB combat" and so on

The points of lists should rather be to encourage people into trying other things, not to promote an incestual circlejerk :(

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Next year the voting system should be spiced up even more. Some examples:
- split the vote by RPG "eras", say golden age (85-95) and modern age (95-05) and decline age
I think this is a good idea.
- split the vote by sub-genres and sub-sub-genres (say, diablo-like action RPGs and third/first person action RPGs)
We can't even agree what games are RPGs much less sub-divide them
- make a (giant) list of RPGs, have people rate them individually, then rank them by the medium value of their scores
We want people to actually take part in the voting.
- make multiple categories such as "best story", "best character creation/development system", "best TB combat" and so on
This is a terrible idea.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You can probably stop the Golden Age in '04 unless you think Jade Empire, Dungeon Lords, Geneforge 3 and Avernum 4 were the last truly great games of our time. Probably the only time Jeff Vogel made the best RPG of the year.

Cassidy

Arcane
The Golden Age ended after the release of the Shitbox of Ultimate Decline and Popamole, the very first of them. Fuck Micro$hit.

buzz

Arcane
tuluse why do you think the last idea is terrible? People already have a granular appreciation for RPGs. It's a bit silly to compare PST with Gothic and Jagged Alliance, and yet this list is doing just that. Doing categories would at least give games the correct praise they deserve.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why? Lurkers constitute the majority of the codex.
Eh, complex thing... There are way more lurkers than regular posters, that's for sure. But if they don't post, then what they bring up to the Codex? Why are they "part" of it?

Isn't thay like doing "The Best RPGs according to the New York Times", and asking the readers instead of the reporters?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The Golden Age ended after the release of the Shitbox of Ultimate Decline and Popamole, the very first of them. Fuck Micro$hit.
my brothers and I were cleaning out old consoles and games from our parents garage.

no-one wanted the xbawks.
had a nice controller though. only one not designed for puny women-hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom