Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I find amusing just how many lurkers come out of hiding just to vote. Some register just for it, but most have almost year-old accounts with no posts and finally post now...
Yeah, totally not alts.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
There's no anti-alt rule for polls. Why do think KOTOR is still showing up on "best of" lists?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People really need to remember the glory that is Betrayal at Krondor.
I played it for a few minutes and thought the writing, character system, and combat were all banal.

Plus I can't stand step-based-first-person exploration anymore.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It will be interesting to see which RPG series will rank best as a whole. Obviously, Fallout will be first, but then we have Wizardry, Might & Magic, Ultima, Goldbox, Baldur's Gate, IWD, and so on.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It will be interesting to see which RPG series will rank best as a whole. Obviously, Fallout will be first, but then we have Wizardry, Might & Magic, Ultima, Goldbox, Baldur's Gate, IWD, and so on.
Using all the current votes, these are the best franchises so far:
  1. Fallout 519
  2. Baldur's Gate 187
  3. Wizardry 165
  4. Ultima 115
  5. Elder Scrolls 113
  6. Gothic 100
  7. Deus Ex 76
  8. Might and Magic 74
  9. KotOR 64
  10. Neverwinter Nights 58
  11. System Shock 47
  12. Realms of Arkania 37
  13. Icewind Dale 35
  14. The Witcher 34
  15. Gold Box 28
  16. Quest for Glory 27
  17. Divinity 19
  18. Dungeon Master 15
  19. Geneforge 15
  20. Mass Effect 9
Doesn't really say anything, the regular list is more prestigious and respectful.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Surprised to see KOTOR 2 not making the list. That was a pretty Avellonian game if there ever was one. It basically Deconstructed Star Wars. It takes a sick mind like MCA's to do that :)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Using all the current votes, these are the best franchises so far:
  1. Fallout 519
  2. Baldur's Gate 187
  3. Wizardry 165
  4. Ultima 115
  5. Elder Scrolls 113
  6. Gothic 100
  7. Deus Ex 76
  8. Might and Magic 74
  9. KotOR 64
  10. Neverwinter Nights 58
  11. System Shock 47
  12. Realms of Arkania 37
  13. Icewind Dale 35
  14. The Witcher 34
  15. Gold Box 28
  16. Quest for Glory 27
  17. Divinity 19
  18. Dungeon Master 15
  19. Geneforge 15
  20. Mass Effect 9
Doesn't really say anything, the regular list is more prestigious and respectful.

Wizadry 3rd, Ultima 4th and Might & Magic in the Top 10. That definitely does make a difference. Especially Might & Magic will have the votes split among too many games in the main list: 3, 4. 6 and 7. The same for Goldbox.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Surprised to see KOTOR 2 not making the list. That was a pretty Avellonian game if there ever was one. It basically Deconstructed Star Wars. It takes a sick mind like MCA's to do that :)

The list is franchises; Kotor 2 would be included under the Kotor umbrella and probably has the vast majority of the votes. Not many here would say Kotor was better than Kotor II.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
5 Points:
Neverwinter Nights 2

:retarded:

It's not about the horrible mediocre OC, it's about the Party-System of SOZ, the Dungeons of Mods like Legacy of White Plume Mountain or Wulverheim, the grimdark Story of Tales from the Lake of Sorrows or the Question if I should use a Rogue/Barbarian/Fighter or a Paladin/NWN9, a Wizard/RWoT or a Sorcerer/ASoCK. The Game is more then the sum of it's Parts, and certainly more then the bland OC.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5 Points:
Neverwinter Nights 2

It's not about the horrible mediocre OC, it's about the Party-System of SOZ, the Dungeons of Mods like Legacy of White Plume Mountain or Wulverheim, the grimdark Story of Tales from the Lake of Sorrows or the Question if I should use a Rogue/Barbarian/Fighter or a Paladin/NWN9, a Wizard/RWoT or a Sorcerer/ASoCK. The Game is more then the sum of it's Parts, and certainly more then the bland OC.

People really come down harder on the OC than it deserves. The Acts got steadily better.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
5 Points:
Neverwinter Nights 2

People really come down harder on the OC than it deserves. The Acts got steadily better.

Then rocks fall. Everybody dies.

5 Points:
Neverwinter Nights 2

Then rocks fall. Everybody dies.

... I'm pretty sure Khelgar lives in all scenarios.

Eh, do you like that? Khelgar?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Look, for people who already had enough of the horrible early chapters, the orc caves, the bugbears, or what-have-yous, and suffering through the equivalent of unnecessary re-enactment of Aeris' death in PC RPG what is there left for them to cheer aside from a shitty ending and unsatisfactory finale?

'omg u are chaotic, imma turn on u'
'no, sand plz.'
'omg u are too lawful, imma turn on u'
'qara no.''
'ur badass, imma not kill u, instead i step out heuheuhue'
'bishop nuuuu :('

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom