Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

SausageInYourFace

Codexian Sausage
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Joining Ultima 7 The Black Gate + Serpent Isle votes would make more of a difference.

Where would it end up? The absence of U7 from the current list is indeed somewhat surprising.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some people pointed out that series like M&M or the GoldBox Games never make it high in those lists because votes get split up between so many different games. I am not suggesting we should count some of them like M&M6/7/8 as one game due to similar gameplay (even though much could be said in favor of that), but has anyone ever gone through the old votes and did that? Just for fun? Just to see how they would end up? I would really be interested.
Woldun't change that much... most people already either vote for M&M VII or for World of Xeen. Counting M&M 6/7/8 as one only raises it 4 positions atm. Is not like it's in the limbo.
M&M VII was really the best of the three. it improved on M&M VI in pretty much every way, while still remaining relatively fresh. M&M VIII only made some changes and most of them were for the worse.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Joining Ultima 7 The Black Gate + Serpent Isle votes would make more of a difference.
Where would it end up? The absence of U7 from the current list is indeed somewhat surprising.
I don't wanna keep spoiling the list, but it would jump up more than 20 positions if we counted both as one. I think it's something to be considered, but I'm not a Ultima expert....

Jaesun , what you think? Should Black Gate and Serpent Isle count both just as Ultima VII?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Some people pointed out that series like M&M or the GoldBox Games never make it high in those lists because votes get split up between so many different games. I am not suggesting we should count some of them like M&M6/7/8 as one game due to similar gameplay (even though much could be said in favor of that), but has anyone ever gone through the old votes and did that? Just for fun? Just to see how they would end up? I would really be interested.
Woldun't change that much... most people already either vote for M&M VII or for World of Xeen. Counting M&M 6/7/8 as one only raises it 4 positions atm. Is not like it's in the limbo.
M&M VII was really the best of the three. it improved on M&M VI in pretty much every way, while still remaining relatively fresh. M&M VIII only made some changes and most of them were for the worse.
Nah, VI is much better IMO. VII's dungeons kinda suck and the endgame is just a bad rehash of VI's.

Metatron

Augur
Nah, VI is much better IMO. VII's dungeons kinda suck and the endgame is just a bad rehash of VI's.
The dungeons are larger but I don't think more of the same shit always equals better, sometimes it's a bit too much. The endgame is more or less the same.
On every other aspect VII is definitely an improved and refined experience though. Better skill system, more racial options, better looking environments, the ability to actually move during combat, better and more involving storyline (I know that's not why you play M&M in the first place but I can still hardly remember anything about the VI storyline despite finishing it 3 times), Arcomage, etc.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I might have weighted Torment too strongly with a 4, particularly in relation to VtM: Bloodlines' 3 . . . I should have taken away one of its points and assigned it to 'Mass Effect' in honor of what could have been.

Well, next year I guess.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
(Notice the lack of Fallout 3, can't stand essential NPCs, linear story, almost no choices, useless stats (In NV the only relatively useless stat is Perception, in Fallout 3 they are Agility, Perception, Charisma, Luck), useless food/drink/beds, invincible companions, weightless ammunition, can't play pacifist, can't play psychopath (due to essentials), speech checks promoting save scumming)
This is the RPG Codex bro, you don't have to explain why you don't like Fallout 3, it's a given.

nordbird

Novice
(Notice the lack of Fallout 3, can't stand essential NPCs, linear story, almost no choices, useless stats (In NV the only relatively useless stat is Perception, in Fallout 3 they are Agility, Perception, Charisma, Luck), useless food/drink/beds, invincible companions, weightless ammunition, can't play pacifist, can't play psychopath (due to essentials), speech checks promoting save scumming)
This is the RPG Codex bro, you don't have to explain why you don't like Fallout 3, it's a given.

Glad hardcore RPG communities exist, RPGWatch seems to think Fallout 3 and Dragon Age 2 are hardcore RPGs.

By the way are you Brazilian? I am Peruvian myself. Not many Planescape: Torment or Fallout 1-2 fans here lol

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh FFS. For once I decide to vote on those list thingies and you go and make a stupid point system. Sigh.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Glad hardcore RPG communities exist, RPGWatch seems to think Fallout 3 and Dragon Age 2 are hardcore RPGs.

What is RPGWatch?
hell_forever_and_ever.jpg

funkadelik

Arcane
Maybe we should start separating single character and party-based RPGs.

Edit:

I'm still butthurt that I can't vote for Dragon's Dogma.

felipepepe: You should allow me to give it a pity vote.

Japanese developers have really started to outshine Western ARPGs such as Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, and Twitcher with glorious incline such as Dragon's Dogma and Demon/Dark Souls.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find amusing just how many lurkers come out of hiding just to vote. Some register just for it, but most have almost year-old accounts with no posts and finally post now...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe we should start separating single character and party-based RPGs.

Edit:

I'm still butthurt that I can't vote for Dragon's Dogma.

felipepepe: You should allow me to give it a pity vote.

Japanese developers have really started to outshine Western ARPGs such as Skyrim, Dragon Age 2, and Twitcher with glorious incline such as Dragon's Dogma and Demon/Dark Souls.

Yeah, well, let's see how Dark Souls II turns out before cracking open the champagne bottles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom