Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
CKII would be on top of the list of grand strategies and simulations (whether it tops OP:F is iffy, but likely) for me, but I'm fighting against it being classed as an RPG.

CKII would be on top of the list of grand strategies and simulations (whether it tops OP:F is iffy, but likely) for me, but I'm fighting against it being classed as an RPG.
If we have shooters in there because of their "character building" and "stats", fuck it, let's call it a sham and include CK2 as well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
These results so far are quite interesting. I think for the first time THE HOLY TRINITY™ (specifically Arcanum) will finally be broken. Fallout and PST will however still top the list.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If the holy trinity is broken we can always blame the voting system. And newfags.

Actually, someone with more free time than me should compile these results by join date so we can see what various generations of the Codex think about RPGs.

Tigranes

Arcane
Pfft, join date. I lurked since mid-2000s, joined in 2009 (I think) and didn't post until 2011 or so.

(So I'm a Triple Newfag)

If the holy trinity is broken we can always blame the voting system. And newfags.

Actually, someone with more free time than me should compile these results by join date so we can see what various generations of the Codex think about RPGs.
I know I've soured a lot on Arcanum and PS:T in the past few years. Still love Fallout though.

himmy

Arcane
The thing is such a poll is that you can vote for whatever you think is an RPG, and if enough people agree with you, it will be on the list. The most obvious example is probably King of Dragon Pass.

Are you telling me I am now not on a secret list for giving one point to The Secret World? Because if I'm not, I might even be inclined to give it two. Which would probably double the total amount of points it will receive.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why Arcanum was ever part of the holy trinity blows my mind. Combat is terrible and the story is boring and uninteresting, which is a damn shame since the character creation is decent and the lore is awesome. Fallout 1, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout: New Vegas would make for a better trinity.

And I'm still butthurt felipepepe damn your rules! I'll play Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen 6 more times JUST to spite you! Maybe I'll make my own thread and include kwansole and weebostation systems! HAH! Deal with that you flying bed sheet!

Zeriel

Arcane
Fallout: New Vegas didn't exist when the holy trinity was formed, you iconoclast.

Arcanum definitely deserves its pride of place, though, the quest design is amazing and makes up for the garbage combat.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fallout: New Vegas didn't exist when the holy trinity was formed, you iconoclast.

Arcanum definitely deserves its pride of place, though, the quest design is amazing and makes up for the garbage combat.

Is the trinity never changing?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why Arcanum was ever part of the holy trinity blows my mind. Combat is terrible and the story is boring and uninteresting, which is a damn shame since the character creation is decent and the lore is awesome. Fallout 1, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout: New Vegas would make for a better trinity.
Arcanum has one of the worst character systems known to man.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2 Points:
Gothic 2
Baldur's Gate 2
MotB
Morrowind
Pools of Darkness

1 Point:
Baldur's Gate
IWD 2
M&M 3
Dark Souls
Drakensang RoT
Arcanum
Baldur's Gate 1
VtMB
Dark Sun Shattered Lands
Dragon Age 2 (sorry everyone)
There ain't three Baldur's Gate, bro. That Dragon Age 2 damaged your brain.

7: Planescape: Torment
Ok, we just saw how much you love PlanetEscape: Tournament, now vote properly.

Demons' Souls - 1
PC only, you know the drill. Should I assign it to Dark Souls?

Blackguards (Unreleased, but I've seen enough already)
No can do, fully released games only. Or Grimoire would own the list. ALL OF IT.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Arcanum has one of the worst character systems known to man.

Well, worst in practice. It certainly looks cool, has complexity and promises to deliver the world at first glance. In that way, it is like every other aspect of Arcanum :M

felipepepe said:
Grimoire would own the list. ALL OF IT.

:lol:

yeah... no

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom