Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex's Best cRPGs - DISCUSS THREAD / NOW ACCEPTING REVIEWS

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
5. Pool of Radiance
4. Champions of Krynn
4. Wasteland
3. Curse of the Azure Bonds
3. Pools of Darkness
3. Might & Magic 2
3. Knights of the Chalice

No FRUA? :?

While some modules for FRUA stand among the best CRPGs I've ever played, I can't vote for FRUA itself because it only comes with one built-in game. That game, "Heirs to Skull Crag" is the worst attempt at a Gold-Box game ever made, and gets nearly everything wrong. So, no FRUA.

Did you vote for it?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
In all the many many years of playing FRUA modules, I STILL have never played Heirs to Skull Crag. :lol:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
In all the many many years of playing FRUA modules, I STILL have never played Heirs to Skull Crag. :lol:

You're lucky. Heirs to Skull Crag plays like an abandoned Gold-Box game that didn't make it past the design stages that was then put together by an blind amateur who happened to find the scattered notes in a pile of mud. It's clear all the work went into the toolset and not into the game itself.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why would you do that?

I can understand not playing Planetscape: Tournament if you're not a story fag, but geez felipepepe, are you masochistic or something?
I am not a storyfag, nor a combat fag, but a "systems fag". I enjoy seeing different systems and kind of gameplay, even if the developers under-utilize them. But FF XIII-2 was genuinely a lot of fun, many great improvements from XIII.

felipepepe I can change the vote, certainly, but isnt Blackguards last chapter set for a release prior to the end of the vote?
The fifth chapter will be released, but the game will still be on Early Access a bit longer.

Besides, I like that we have no recent titles to vote for, makes people see things in the long run, without release hype or "I just played this!" getting much in the way.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just be glad that 4690 points were assigned so far, and none went into either Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

Someone voted for Dragon Age 2, I think is a solid basis to consider it trolling and disregard the vote. Also ban him.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
5. Pool of Radiance
4. Champions of Krynn
4. Wasteland
3. Curse of the Azure Bonds
3. Pools of Darkness
3. Might & Magic 2
3. Knights of the Chalice

No FRUA? :?

While some modules for FRUA stand among the best CRPGs I've ever played, I can't vote for FRUA itself because it only comes with one built-in game. That game, "Heirs to Skull Crag" is the worst attempt at a Gold-Box game ever made, and gets nearly everything wrong. So, no FRUA.

Did you vote for it?

Yes. To me moddability weighs heavily when ranking games, which is why I even voted for Baldur's Gate.
And I agree with you on Heirs to Skull Crag. It's among the worst modules I've tried; didn't even complete it.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
We should do a "worst RPGs" list parallel to this.

It's already been done: http://ca.ign.com/top/rpgs/7

Not clicking the link, but I trust that the games on it would be shit.

Regarding the 'worst RPGs / negative votes': how about taking the cut of first N (e.g. 50) RPGs that recieved the most votes and giving the people a certain number (e.g. 10) of negative points to assign? This way negative votes would not be wasted on the obscure POS games like POR: ROMD or Descent to Undermountain, but focused on the popular titles (list candidates). In order to prevent biased voting, order of the RPGs on the list would not be revealed before the negative vote. Then we would have two lists: one with positive votes only and another (shorter one, e.g. 25 RPGs) taking into account both positive and negative votes. It could result in a more filtered list than the first one (it could devolve into vote trolling as well) - I'd like to see how the two lists would compare.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Making a 'worst RPGs' list is pointless, because objectively even Fallout 3 or Oblivion are better than some obscure shovelware games most people never heard of, let alone played.

A 'most disappointing RPGs' list on the other hand... Now, that would be worth making and reading.

V_K

Arcane
Making a 'worst RPGs' list is pointless, because objectively even Fallout 3 or Oblivion are better than some obscure shovelware games most people never heard of, let alone played.
Well, arguably there can also be some obscure games, that are better than 'the holy trinity', so 'the worst' list is not much more pointless than 'the best'.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, no. Great obscure games appearing on the 'top' list can at least make some people play and appreciate them.

Bad obscure games appearing on the 'bottom' list will accomplish nothing.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
We actually had a "worst RPGs you've played" vote just recently:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...50-worst-rpgs-youve-played-vote-thread.78305/

The "winners" as tallied by DaveO on page 9 of that thread:
At #1 - Oblivion with over 50 votes
Reason it sucked: Level-scaling, popamole, hiking simulator

At #2 - Neverwinter Nights with 44 votes
Reason it sucked: Horrible, horrible, horrible main campaign.
Multiplayer scenarios would be a slight saving grace.

At #3 - Dragon Age 2 with 40 votes
Reason it sucked: I want to be a recycled popamole Dragon Warden

At #4 - Fallout 3 with 39 votes
Reason it sucked: (Help me out with this one folks)

At #5 - Gothic 4 with 21 votes
Reason it sucked: GiNO(Gothic in name only)

At #6 - A tie between Dungeon Siege and Mass Effect with 20 votes
Reasons both sucked: Interactive screen savers(one with "Choices")
No huge surprises and I don't think doing it again with a weighted voting system would change much - the usual suspects (i.e. well-known games that many people have played and been disappointed with) would still "win".

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, no. Great obscure games appearing on the 'top' list can at least make some people play and appreciate them.

Bad obscure games appearing on the 'bottom' list will accomplish nothing.
My point is precisely the opposite: that great obscure game can only appear on the top list if the voting system is heavily rigged in their favour. But that doesn't stop us - or anyone else - from making 'the best' lists, even though it's a misnomer to some degree. So why should existence of obscure shovelware, that is worse than Oblivion etc, stop us from making a 'the worst' list?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
If obscure games are really great they will somehow make it to the top, or at least pretty high, through word of mouth and lasting appeal. Hence there is a point of making 'best' lists, if only to see them reappearing and often rising up with years passing.

Note: most 'great' obscure games are actually not great but just good/decent, so they don't really deserve to be in the actual top, even if they do deserve to be higher than they end up.

If a game is both bad and obscure, it will fade into oblivion (pun not intended), while people will still remember when their expectations were shattered the most, even years after, so 'most disaapointing' list has more legs here.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
We actually had a "worst RPGs you've played" vote just recently:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...50-worst-rpgs-youve-played-vote-thread.78305/

The "winners" as tallied by DaveO on page 9 of that thread:
At #1 - Oblivion with over 50 votes
Reason it sucked: Level-scaling, popamole, hiking simulator

At #2 - Neverwinter Nights with 44 votes
Reason it sucked: Horrible, horrible, horrible main campaign.
Multiplayer scenarios would be a slight saving grace.

At #3 - Dragon Age 2 with 40 votes
Reason it sucked: I want to be a recycled popamole Dragon Warden

At #4 - Fallout 3 with 39 votes
Reason it sucked: (Help me out with this one folks)

At #5 - Gothic 4 with 21 votes
Reason it sucked: GiNO(Gothic in name only)

At #6 - A tie between Dungeon Siege and Mass Effect with 20 votes
Reasons both sucked: Interactive screen savers(one with "Choices")
No huge surprises and I don't think doing it again with a weighted voting system would change much - the usual suspects (i.e. well-known games that many people have played and been disappointed with) would still "win".
That's a 'most disappointing' list if I ever saw one.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2 Points for Fallout 2
2 Points for FNV
2 Points for F01

2 Points for Kotor II
0.1 Points for Kotor I

2.9 Points for VtMB Only 3D game made with stylized surrealist art direction instead of going for uncanny valley of poprealism.
2 Points for Arcanum
2 Points for MotB

1 Points for Nethergate

4.5 Points for all Geneforges.

1 Point for BG2
0.5 Points for AP and all other flawed games who were not as ambitious as Arcanum was.

2 Point for Morrowind for making Sandbox game and Fantasy right... Also Caius Brosades. :bro:
C'mon bro... no broken numbers and specify which Geneforge you want.

Delterius

Arcane
The fifth chapter will be released, but the game will still be on Early Access a bit longer.

Besides, I like that we have no recent titles to vote for, makes people see things in the long run, without release hype or "I just played this!" getting much in the way.

Very fair. I was just trying to be a smartass until I got to a computer. Instead of Blackguards I'll give 2 points to Troika's Bloodlines.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
[
I am not a storyfag, nor a combat fag, but a "systems fag".

Ah ok, that makes more sense. FF games typically have a good system for character dev and such.

Which RPG has the best system you have ever played? Vagrant Story?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Which RPG has the best system you have ever played? Vagrant Story?
I'm probably forgetting a lot of good ones, but here's a quick list of what I think was interesintig:

FFT's job system;
FF X's sphere grid (expanded on FF XII - Zodiac Job System);
FF XII's party AI customization;
Chrono Trigger's party combo attacks;
Breath of Fire III dragon forms;
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis medal system;
FF VIII's Triple Triad;
Valkyria Chronicles presentation of combat;
Vagrant Story's entire combat system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom