Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2024 - VOTING IS CLOSED

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Top RPGs.xlsx

Feel free to double-check the numbers if you want (it will take a while).

Also please confirm that the link is read-only.
How many top RPGs is this list? Considering numbers of votes, imo it doesn't make sense to make it more than Top 50, the rest can fall into 'hidden gem' category

top 48 - from 10 votes up
top 52 - from 9 votes up

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How many top RPGs is this list?
Wasn't this Top 101?:

It's been 5 years since we did the Top 101 PC RPGs list.
The number changed every time.

It also makes no sense to add to the list games that only 3 dudes voted for. It becomes too random of a variable, and also will consequently fuck 'hidden gem' list limiting it to some titles with a single vote or two for them.

So Top ~50 and then calculating 'hidden gems' seems a more balanced approach.

Butter what's your approach?

flyingjohn

Arcane
The top games should be everything with 20 votes and above.
Gems should be 19-10 votes.
Anything below that is meaningless because of the low amount of votes.
EDIT:
You could get top 60 top and 22 underrated games on the previous list using this. This one has 22 top and 25 gems. The low amount of votes is making obscure games overinflated.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A surprisingly decent list. Thanks to low barrier of entry (only a couple of votes) some interesting title entered the ranks.

Plus we finally wiped the shame of Oblivion being in top 101.

A pity Cyberpunk 2077 didn't make it. After 2 years of fixing it's a great action rpg. Also, what happened with Jagged Alliance 3, last year GOTY? Somehow number 2, Baldur's Gate 3, managed to enter the top 101.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wasn't this Top 101?:

It also makes no sense to add to the list games that only 3 dudes voted for. It becomes too random of a variable, and also will consequently fuck 'hidden gem' list limiting it to some titles with a single vote or two for them.

It definitely shouldn't be 101. I think 50-70 is a good cutoff. Keep in mind there's going to be a Hidden Gems list as well, so it might be something like 70+20 or 60+15.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I think a top 20 makes more sense. The rest of them has too little votes.
The games at the bottom of the top 101 list were voted for by anywhere from 4-7 people. I think Undertale had the fewest with 4. That corresponds to the top 83 on this list, but I don't want to include Skyrim.

Konjad

Patron
Wasn't this Top 101?:

It definitely shouldn't be 101. I think 50-70 is a good cutoff. Keep in mind there's going to be a Hidden Gems list as well, so it might be something like 70+20 or 60+15.
50 is a nice intuitive number that won't make people wonder 'why did they cut off at 60/70?' And 9/10 people at the minimum is still acceptable. 4 or 5 is not, imo.

As for hidden gems, idk how many votes were there, so probably limiting it to 20 will be a good idea, or even 10 if 20th wouldn't have at least 3 votes.

Konjad

Patron
Remember the 2019 one was so shit it included games like Oblivion or, may dogs forgive me for uttering this title, Gothic 3. It was a shit poll post overall, you could claim that G3, Oblivion and Tranny were one of the best RPGs ever released according to RPGCodex, which is pathetic.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
50 is a nice intuitive number that won't make people wonder 'why did they cut off at 60/70?' And 9/10 people at the minimum is still acceptable. 4 or 5 is not, imo.

As for hidden gems, idk how many votes were there, so probably limiting it to 20 will be a good idea, or even 10 if 20th wouldn't have at least 3 votes.
But Prelude to Darkness was only mentioned by 4 people.

Sometimes quality is more important than quantity.

Konjad

Patron

But Prelude to Darkness was only mentioned by 4 people.

Sometimes quality is more important than quantity.
But you also start mixing it with shit if you include so many games.

Perhaps it will end up on a hidden gems list, probably a better place for it anyway.

Terenty

Liturgist
Fallout 1 being first place I can understand, though, personally, I would give it to Deus Ex, but...

Vtmb, Morrowind and fucking New Vegas shouldn't be anywhere top 10, that's a disgrace

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Hidden Gems.xlsx

This is where things get interesting. The cutoff we use for Top RPGs is going to affect which games show up in the published Hidden Gems list.

For example, we might use the top 70 from Top RPGs, and this would be the top 25 Hidden Gems:
Brigand: Oaxaca
Caves of Lore
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Rats
Albion
Prelude to Darkness
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Titan Outpost
NEO Scavenger
Blackguards
Colony Ship
Tales of Maj'Eyal
The Dark Heart of Uukrul
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Divinity II
Expeditions: Viking
Fallout Tactics
Expeditions: Conquistador
Space Wreck
Anachronox
Eschalon: Book I
Might and Magic X: Legacy
Risen
Space Rangers 2
Tyranny

Or we might use the top 50 (52 really) Top RPGs, and this would be the top 18 Hidden Gems:
Arx Fatalis
Alpha Protocol
ATOM RPG
Caves of Lore
Wizards & Warriors
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Rats
Albion
Prelude to Darkness
Titan Outpost
NEO Scavenger
Blackguards
Colony Ship
Tales of Maj'Eyal
The Dark Heart of Uukrul

Or we might use the top 60 (62 really) Top RPGs, and this would be the top 15 Hidden Gems:
Caves of Lore
Wizards & Warriors
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Rats
Albion
Prelude to Darkness
Titan Outpost
NEO Scavenger
Blackguards
Colony Ship
Tales of Maj'Eyal
The Dark Heart of Uukrul

I don't think this decision should be entirely mine. I'm interested in different takes.

Last edited:

Beans00

Erudite
Vtmb, Morrowind and fucking New Vegas shouldn't be anywhere top 10, that's a disgrace
Agree on Morrowind, but it's always been popular here(since like 2010 at least). Pretty sure it's been in the top 10 on every list because it's the ultimate game for people who love walking around empty worlds with no challenging combat, simple character building, no C&C, and reading in game lore books.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Top 52 would exclude PoE2 and Diablo 2 and Human Revolution :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom