Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2024 - VOTING IS CLOSED

ferratilis

Magister
Here's a suggestion on how to avoid people getting butthurt over X game being ranked higher than Y game: how about instead of making these lists every few years, you maintain a curated list of RPGs separated into categories like must-play classics, modern crpgs, action rpgs, jrpgs, hidden gems, hybrids, and so on, in no particular order (maybe sorted by release date). That way, newfags who stumble on such a list would have a clear guide on how to get into classic games without pointless rankings. And you could include some excerpts from CRPG book or Codex reviews as descriptions. Basically, an rpg comes out, and if it proves to satisfy the hivemind's taste after some post-release period of time, it goes on the list. That kind of list would be easier to update and maintain than these rankings which are set in stone, and are frankly quite pointless. Thoughts?

Here's a suggestion on how to avoid people getting butthurt over X game being ranked higher than Y game: how about instead of making these lists every few years, you maintain a curated list of RPGs separated into categories like must-play classics, modern crpgs, action rpgs, jrpgs, hidden gems, hybrids, and so on, in no particular order (maybe sorted by release date). That way, newfags who stumble on such a list would have a clear guide on how to get into classic games without pointless rankings. And you could include some excerpts from CRPG book or Codex reviews as descriptions. Basically, an rpg comes out, and if it proves to satisfy the hivemind's taste after some post-release period of time, it goes on the list. That kind of list would be easier to update and maintain than these rankings which are set in stone, and are frankly quite pointless. Thoughts?
Literally anyone could do that, so if you think that's such a good idea no one is stopping you.

If you mean everyone on the Codex gets together and votes on which games go where, well, you'll have the exact same problem of bullshit getting onto a list it doesn't belong on.

flyingjohn

Arcane
And the curated list will be based on:
Votes? Then you accomplished nothing.
Mentions? Than your list is a 100 pages of random shit people mentioned.
Personal opinion? Too biased.

Votes are here to stay it seems.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I see planescape torment on top 10 , how good it is? I have not seen much mention of it in mainstream media so it seems to be popular among niche group.
Its strength is the writing and world building. Combat is more of an afterthought. A lot of your time will be spent in dialogue.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I see planescape torment on top 10 , how good it is? I have not seen much mention of it in mainstream media so it seems to be popular among niche group.
Incredible writing and story by Chris Avellone, but the actual gameplay is hampered by the execrable Infinity Engine that Planescape: Torment employed courtesy of Bioware, so it has terrible RTwP combat and limited exploration. A rare example of non-gameplay aspects making a game not only worthwhile but a classic. It was also helped by being based on one of TSR's better D&D/AD&D settings.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fucking busted list, but it is what it is. I'm commenting after the fact because I don't care to participate in those (as I have an acute distaste for collective thinking). There could have been criteria, for once maybe the join date, if you want to be really elitist about it. I don't know that everyone's opinion is worth the same. There obviously is a preference for late 90 - early 20 games, because this is what most of the members are used to, and that has to be proportional to the overall age member. The thing is, either you vote with your taste, or maybe with some abstract idea of what should be recognized as important. For example I don't care for Fallout myself, but sure, I would put it high on the list, if I did the abstract historical exercise. Also I guess we'll have the eternal struggle of keeping JA2 and tactical games in there. That's no good. If you had a tactical offshoot list, things would be more precise. I have no fucking clue what JA2 has in common with Torment.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Fucking busted list, but it is what it is. I'm commenting after the fact because I don't care to participate in those (as I have an acute distaste for collective thinking). There could have been criteria, for once maybe the join date, if you want to be really elitist about it. I don't know that everyone's opinion is worth the same. There obviously is a preference for late 90 - early 20 games, because this is what most of the members are used to, and that has to be proportional to the overall age member. The thing is, either you vote with your taste, or maybe with some abstract idea of what should be recognized as important. For example I don't care for Fallout myself, but sure, I would put it high on the list, if I did the abstract historical exercise. Also I guess we'll have the eternal struggle of keeping JA2 and tactical games in there. That's no good. If you had a tactical offshoot list, things would be more precise. I have no fucking clue what JA2 has in common with Torment.
What would have been your top ten then.

I don't know how anyone can look at that list and say it's, busted except if you're a contrarian.

It's the second best out of the 4 top RPGs lists Codex has done and infinitely better than the travesty that is the 2019 list

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom