Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2024 - VOTING IS CLOSED

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I think it looks much better:
allgamelist.jpg
Looks like dogshit. Fuck Butters' list right in its ear. I'll just reference the old list and pretend this faggot trainwreck of explosive shits never happened.

Holy fuck NWN2. It is entirely unjust that NWN2 scores so highly simply because of Mask of the Betrayer. I like MotB (who doesn't?) and even SoZ is fun, but they do not elevate NWN2 to its spot above so many others.

Last edited:

MjKorz

Educated
Holy fuck NWN2. It is entirely unjust that NWN2 scores so highly simply because of Mask of the Betrayer. I like MotB (Who doesn't?) and even SoZ is fun, but they do not elevation NWN2 to its spot above so many others.
So just reference MotB directly without mentioning NWN2. You can play MotB as a standalone adventure anyway.

Gargaune

Arcane
Holy fuck NWN2. It is entirely unjust that NWN2 scores so highly simply because of Mask of the Betrayer. I like MotB (Who doesn't?) and even SoZ is fun, but they do not elevation NWN2 to its spot above so many others.
So just reference MotB directly without mentioning NWN2. You can play MotB as a standalone adventure anyway.
Ahem:
- Votes for expansion packs (MotB) are going to be counted as votes for the base game.

And it's a sensible call. Otherwise people start agonising over with/without expansion entries, was Diablo 2 better without Lord of Destruction, time limits in Fallout, why aren't there separate entries for BG with and without TotSC, Gothic 2 and Night of the Raven, "nuh-uh Deadfire was totally less shit with the expansiooon", and of course, sixteen distributions of Skyrim and which New Vegas patch crashed the least.

Just let it go, it's better this way.

MjKorz

Educated
Ahem:
- Votes for expansion packs (MotB) are going to be counted as votes for the base game.

And it's a sensible call. Otherwise people start agonising over with/without expansion entries, was Diablo 2 better without Lord of Destruction, time limits in Fallout, why aren't there separate entries for BG with and without TotSC, Gothic 2 and Night of the Raven, "nuh-uh Deadfire was totally less shit with the expansiooon", and of course, sixteen distributions of Skyrim and which New Vegas patch crashed the least.

Just let it go, it's better this way.
The criteria should be: can you play the expac standalone without loading saves or importing anything? If yes, then it deserves its own separate entry. That's my PoV.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The criteria should be: can you play the expac standalone without loading saves or importing anything? If yes, then it deserves its own separate entry. That's my PoV.
That's fair tbh. By that logic, total conversion mods would also qualify, which again is fair imo.

MjKorz

Educated
That's fair tbh. By that logic, total conversion mods would also qualify, which again is fair imo.
Yeah, but mods probably deserve their own spotlight. Like a list of best total conversions.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Yeah, but mods probably deserve their own spotlight. Like a list of best total conversions.
Now you're being a hypocrite. I take it back, I side with Gargaune.

I agree with MjKorz. Expansions make sense with being included in the base game, but standalone modules should be their own entity even if they use the same engine. Otherwise, Archolos votes should have gone to Gothic 2. Some nuance is permitted I think. To drive the point home, while Throne of Bhaal can be played without any imports it interactions with BG2, it is a direct continuation of BG2 that makes little sense outside of that. So a module would need to be functionally independent in both ways.

Harthwain

Magister
I think they are ashamed to publish this. Diablo fucking one above 2 :lol:
Whatever do you mean? Diablo 1 is obviously superior to Diablo 2.
Look at the games it's outranking man.
I didn't even vote for it because I don't consider it an RPG (it's hack'n'slash for me), sooo... That said, I do think it IS better than the likes of KotOR 1, Mass Effect or Dragon Age: Origins.

Hydro

Educated
1. What is it we are waiting for exactly?
2. What is it people are mad about exactly?

S.torch

Liturgist
I will stay with the previous top. More elegant and longer array of games. But most importantly Chadscape: Torment was in the 1st place. Instead of the normie holy grail Fallout.

The community work is still appreciated tho. Sadly Codex's staff can't drop their important job of posting Dragon Age news everyday and eating Cheetos.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
As long as the top 3 is some arrangement of Fallout, PS:T and Arcanum, then all is right with the world.

:love:
I prefer the alternative 'dex top 3: Fallout, Arcanum, VtMB.
I prefer the alternative alternative 'dex top 3: Wizardry 7, Pool of Radiance, Halo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom