Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker MV - Released

Black

Arcane
Maybe this is what Dungeons & Prisoners 2 will use.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Omori, a Kickstarted surreal JRPG, is being developed with RPG Maker MV: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omocat/omori/posts/1333419

For those who are not aware, RPG Maker MV has been announced and we have been porting all our systems to it since my last update. I was one of the QA/testers who managed to grab an early copy.

I told Omocat early-2014 that I want Omori to be ported over to the 'new RM' without giving her any details. At that time, I wasn't allowed to talk much about it and she has to be sworn to secrecy for the sake of security, I just guaranteed her that it is for the best.

The reason behind the move is for cost of porting to MacOSX/Mobile would be decreased significantly. As well as development time and stability. The lags on the maps will be decreased as we don't have to force ourselves to make a player in VXAce just to support OpenGL. While we had a working engine, it was just best to work on something that we know is built for these performance upgrades.

We concluded that this change was for the best. As a result, we have to be absolutely quiet until I was allowed to tell details about the 'new RM' to some extent. We are semi-active and as much as I wish to show that we can show something visual, we're currently on the stage where all we can show is code and technicalities. Part of it is beta testing to make sure that the underlying structure works as intended.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
This engine would be much better if it didn't come with so much shit in it already. The tools alone are good for building games in that style.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Customizable terms and messages:

CP7klZ9UwAAOMAH.png:orig

New character generator:

CQF7NAmUwAAE-uQ.png:orig

Customizable equipment types:

CPxN-k5UsAA8nTu.png:orig

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
can't wait to make my sci-fi RPG by renaming MP to Energy, M. Attack to Laser Dmg, and M. Defense to Laser Shield.

J1M

Arcane
New engine for shovelware indie eroge? I'm okay with that. :desu:

On a more serious note, this sounds like the greatest thing to ever happen to RPGMaker. Replacing their own godawful scripting contraption with javascript and having HTML5 export (even if it's bound to have retarded limitations/DRM) has to be the best idea the japanese software industry has ever had, given the ever-increasing importance and capabilities of the browser. Not to mention it gives a lot more control over what's actually possible to do with it. Too bad it'll still probably require a RTP - would be too good to get the entire engne source code in plain HTML+JS.
Javascript is a terrible language. You want to catch as many bugs as possible at compile time.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is that the resolution of japanese phones, or is there a more arbitrary/interesting reason?

Dunno. That just fits the minimum map size (17x13 tiles, 48px tile) of the tool. But I heard this time you can change the resolution without much troubles than the previous versions.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Preview of Yanfly Engine, a plugin libary to remove limitations of default setting (screen resolution, debug console, gold/item/stat limits etc.):

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Omori, a Kickstarted surreal JRPG, is being developed with RPG Maker MV: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omocat/omori/posts/1333419

That's a lot of money for an RPG maker game, especially now that the initial Kickstarter high is over. Pretty cool concept though, nice visuals.

How do they plan to make a 3DS/Vita version? AFAIK RPG maker only supports PC/Mac etc., they'd have to code it from scratch using something else unless MV version is compatible with consoles.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
How do they plan to make a 3DS/Vita version? AFAIK RPG maker only supports PC/Mac etc., they'd have to code it from scratch using something else unless MV version is compatible with consoles.

Well, while it sounds inefficient, AFAIK they are basically recreating the game for 3DS and Vita versions. I wonder if the switch to MV and its HTML5 support changed that plan.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently the trial version is the full version, but with 20 days limitation.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Kind of curious to relive my childhood. New version looks good, like the new features (Some might be old but my last was 2k, so...).

Goddamn do the default character sprites look awful though. They turn me off despite never using default before.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think this will be the first game maker engine where I will try to make some kind of game (yeah, it will probably be shit, but I want to try it out).

But why is this so ridiculously expensive?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not expensive. You're just poor.
Well yeah, you can say that. So it is expensive for me. Anyway I decided to get VX Ace instead for 2 dollars. And this has much more assets and fan made scripts. When MV catches up, it will be cheaper.

zeitgeist

Magister
For whatever reason, my love affair with this engine ended when they went from the early SNES sprites of RPG Maker 95 and late SNES sprites of RPG Maker 2000 to the later chibi look. I suppose nostalgia clouds a lot of flaws, but games in those older engines didn't look shovel-ware-ish to me, even if they were generic, whereas the new stuff just looks mediocre both in design and execution.
An important factor here is the resolution - go too high (and this is definitely too high), and everything that looked charming starts looking silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom