Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker MV - Released

Black

Arcane
Does Obsidian know?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
It would actually be p. interesting to see how much a large company could do with RPG Maker MV.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Kadokawa will bring more official extensions including 3D character generator, dialogue window customization, and isometric view mode: http://www.4gamer.net/games/312/G031261/20160908071/

gDeZBD2.jpg

Also the tool is 50% off on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/363890/

Zanzoken

Arcane
Would you guys say RPGMaker is the easiest game engine to learn and use?

I want to try my hand at development but I can't write code. I've tried to learn Python and picked up a few concepts but I don't know how to turn that into an actual game. Even Gamemaker gets confusing once I try to do something beyond a basic 2D platformer or whatever.

I know RPGMaker is limited and very JRPG-ish but I'm not too picky on features. The hope is that I can kinda take whatever building blocks are there and still make it fun. And maybe in the process start learning skills that will allow me to eventually do more.

Thoughts?

Severian Silk

It is pretty easy. Maybe the easiest of all. You will probably end up needing to do a little scripting, but it's not overwhelming.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Would you guys say RPGMaker is the easiest game engine to learn and use?

I want to try my hand at development but I can't write code. I've tried to learn Python and picked up a few concepts but I don't know how to turn that into an actual game. Even Gamemaker gets confusing once I try to do something beyond a basic 2D platformer or whatever.

I know RPGMaker is limited and very JRPG-ish but I'm not too picky on features. The hope is that I can kinda take whatever building blocks are there and still make it fun. And maybe in the process start learning skills that will allow me to eventually do more.

Thoughts?
It's the easiest gamedev software I've used, by far. Making a short jrpg-ish prototype is very feasible even for a complete beginner.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Any reason to go with VX Ace instead of MV? I know MV is the latest and greatest but VX is 90% off this weekend...

One thing that always warded me off RPGMaker up until now was the blobber combat, because I hate blobbers. I know MV added Final Fantasy type combat but I've also read there are third-party plug-ins that allow you to do that on Ace too.

Severian Silk

Any reason to go with VX Ace instead of MV? I know MV is the latest and greatest but VX is 90% off this weekend...

I don't know much about it, but the newly added support for isometric graphics is a big plus.

One thing that always warded me off RPGMaker up until now was the blobber combat, because I hate blobbers. I know MV added Final Fantasy type combat but I've also read there are third-party plug-ins that allow you to do that on Ace too.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index...ctical-battle-system-v24-for-ace/#entry158029

This script is okay. But the developer went AWOL, and there are a few annoying bugs.

Also, the script is slow when the weapon and movement ranges are too high, and it doesn't take line-of-sight into account for ranged weapons.

[edit]

Someone is working on a TBS script for RMMV as well:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/63888-letbs-04/

Last edited by a moderator:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Well I went ahead and picked up MV. :M

It's 50% off this weekend on Steam if anyone wants to join me in churning out some weeaboo filth.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I can't spare the $40 at the moment, and I don't have time to work on my game right now. Particularly since the TBS script is not quite finished.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
RPGMaker was decently flexible and easy for fourteen year old me to pick up and learn in a weekend with no prior knowledge. Good if all you want is a jrpg-like (at least for vx ace, dunno about anything mv)

Zanzoken

Arcane
I like it a lot so far. I just google to find tutorials for things I want to do. You can really make a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

The engine is limited as you would expect but the Yanfly plug-ins add a lot of new functionality. It will take a while but I think it's possible to make a pretty good JRPG given enough time and experience with the software.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kadokawa will bring more official extensions including 3D character generator, dialogue window customization, and isometric view mode
That screenshot looked pretty sweet. Looks like a pixel-perfect isometric tactical game like Arcadian Atlas could be written entirely in the new RPGM. They switched to Unity, but it would be interesting to see if someone could churn out a decent SRPG in RPGM.

Will there be a tactical RPG mode? Not interested otherwise.
Ages ago I looked into the possibility with VX Ace. Nothing looked very promising. I ended up starting my tactical game in UDK instead, because I absolutely had to have smooth camera rotation like in Final Fantasy Tactics. I picked apart RPGM for its sprites and music, then later found out even if you bought the engine, you're not allowed to use the sprites with any other game engine.

UDKSpriteSheetExample.png

I am very, very close to releasing a feature-complete (but campaignless and untested) tactical RPG based more on Ogre Battle than on anything else, and it comes with a campaign editor. Hopefully soon you'll be able to make that tactical RPG you've been thinking about. :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It would actually be p. interesting to see how much a large company could do with RPG Maker MV.

I'd personally like to see some FRUA mods by coders instead. That would be much more codexian, and not *too* hard to make. I'd be happy to help people make them with questions.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks interesting, even though I don't play JRPGs, but there's no graphic sets for Ancient Greece. Half the reason something like RPG Maker interests me is that the graphics are all readily available.

thesecret1

Arcane
This thing is amazing. A seamless fusion of user friendliness and total dogshit. You can create a nice looking dungeon in 15 minutes, and then spend 2 hours trying to find out how to do something as basic as center the text inside a textbox, only to find out you can't and need to get a plugin for it (or write the damn script yourself). You are provided with an easy to use animation editor that comes pre-packaged with like a hundred good looking animations, but you are not given a way to make doors viewed from the side. They give you a list of great looking character portraits to use straight off the bat, but they only provide them with a single expression, so they're de facto useless. They give you a character generator where you can create any portrait you want, but they don't implement something as simple as a color picker, so you're stuck with a handful of pre-designed colors for skin and hair (half of which are pink, green, etc.). They give you a retard-proof scripting tool that even a child could use, but give you no way to change the fucking resolution.

It's all so hacked together, like holy shit. You can do a lot of stuff really quickly, but the moment you try doing something even slightly more complex or not expected by the devs, you are smacked by just how downright ghetto the whole thing's slapped together, with missing really basic tools and lots of hardcoded shit that really shouldn't be hardcoded. The only reason ANYTHING gets made in this thing is because everyone is running a million user-made plugins most of which boil down to breaking through the hardcoded shit and giving you a goddamn variable to change. I thought "mods will fix it" was a Bethesda thing, but clearly, Todd Howard bows his head in respect to the Japanese masters, hoping he might one day reach their level.

Also if you look through the downloadable content this thing has, you'll see some very advanced asiatic jew-fu.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I’m currently looking at throwing together a skill system in this and it looks like it’ll be a challenge but possible. I like that it uses JS. I do agree about how shitty the face editor is especially since my digital art skills are still subpar. If they even provided more than one mouth shape that didn’t look like a complete retard trying to look normal, I would find it passable. All in all, I got it on sale and I’m not feeling many regrets about the purchase

Ysaye

Arbiter
I'm mucking around with RPG paper maker at the moment, and (although it's documentation is not amazing) it seems a lot more open than the RPG Makers to do different stuff, change fonts, graphics of everything etc... Obviously the "paper" graphic component won't be to everyone's taste but I reckon something decent could be made in it at some point with a little bit of ingenuity...

Zanzoken

Arcane
This thing is amazing. A seamless fusion of user friendliness and total dogshit. You can create a nice looking dungeon in 15 minutes, and then spend 2 hours trying to find out how to do something as basic as center the text inside a textbox, only to find out you can't and need to get a plugin for it (or write the damn script yourself). You are provided with an easy to use animation editor that comes pre-packaged with like a hundred good looking animations, but you are not given a way to make doors viewed from the side. They give you a list of great looking character portraits to use straight off the bat, but they only provide them with a single expression, so they're de facto useless. They give you a character generator where you can create any portrait you want, but they don't implement something as simple as a color picker, so you're stuck with a handful of pre-designed colors for skin and hair (half of which are pink, green, etc.). They give you a retard-proof scripting tool that even a child could use, but give you no way to change the fucking resolution.

It's all so hacked together, like holy shit. You can do a lot of stuff really quickly, but the moment you try doing something even slightly more complex or not expected by the devs, you are smacked by just how downright ghetto the whole thing's slapped together, with missing really basic tools and lots of hardcoded shit that really shouldn't be hardcoded. The only reason ANYTHING gets made in this thing is because everyone is running a million user-made plugins most of which boil down to breaking through the hardcoded shit and giving you a goddamn variable to change. I thought "mods will fix it" was a Bethesda thing, but clearly, Todd Howard bows his head in respect to the Japanese masters, hoping he might one day reach their level.

Also if you look through the downloadable content this thing has, you'll see some very advanced asiatic jew-fu.

Back when I was playing around with MV there was a guy named Yanfly who was making a lot of good plug-ins for it. His stuff added a ton of functionality and there's probably even more now (it's been a couple years since I was into it).

Edit: Apparently his plug-ins are behind a paywall now. https://www.patreon.com/posts/retirement-and-31197644

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom