Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker MV - Released

thesecret1

Arcane
Back when I was playing around with MV there was a guy named Yanfly who was making a lot of good plug-ins for it. His stuff added a ton of functionality and there's probably even more now (it's been a couple years since I was into it).

Edit: Apparently his plug-ins are behind a paywall now. https://www.patreon.com/posts/retirement-and-31197644
His stuff is essential to even get started. He basically provides some of the basic tools that were missing. Luckily, the most important plugins are not paywalled

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Yanfly’s stuff isn’t behind a paywall. Paying is just a suggestion. I downloaded one as a reference last week.

Edit: just read that link, i must have gotten one that stayed free or something.

thesecret1

Arcane
I realised that my previous post may have been too dismissive. It's not so bad after you go through all the prepwork. Get your hands on some decent assets because the default ones are few and often shitty. Get some plugins to make the whole thing actually usable. Familiarize yourself with some of the more retarded parts of the engine. It'll take a pretty long while to get all this shit done (hunting assets down on the internet can be pretty tough, since most of the ones you find are, again, shit), but after that, you can do stuff really fast. Designing a level becomes a lot easier and faster than you'd think, scripting is easy, all the common shit one needs to do is oftentimes handled by the engine itself... Despite it's shortcomings, it's probably the best engine for a single guy to use on a small RPG project (while being absolutely useless for bigger projects, naturally). If you've always wanted to make a game but never got around to it, do give it a try. It requires very little skill, only patience, and you won't hit a brick wall called "lack of assets" like you would with most other engines out there, since you can find many for free on the internet.

Still, it's infuriating to see just how little care was put into the thing by the devs, especially considering there have been many previous iterations of RPGmaker. Just the text "editor", for example, is so bad that a highschooler could've done it better.

thesecret1

Arcane
I delved a little deeper into the scripting part today, trying to make some more advanced stuff for cutscenes and the like. Aside from some asinine decisions when it comes to UI and RPGmaker forums being full of patronizing retards, it's okay. Lots of in-built variables and functions that you can use, some rudimentary support for parallel processing... Of course, the battling the retardo UI will make shit take longer than it should, and you will need to do a lot of googling, since this is RPGmaker we're talking about and there is no official documentation.

If they even provided more than one mouth shape that didn’t look like a complete retard trying to look normal, I would find it passable.
If you think MV generator faces look bad, thank the heavens you haven't seen the morbid atrocity that are the generator faces in Ace.

eXalted

Arcane
Screenshots of the upcoming RPG Maker MZ. They managed to make the UI look more generic and bland than ever.

Sku6n4I.jpg

npvejFP.jpg

Incredible.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Screenshots of the upcoming RPG Maker MZ. They managed to make the UI look more generic and bland than ever.

Sku6n4I.jpg

npvejFP.jpg

Incredible.

Likely MZ will be incompatible with the vast amount of plugins that are vital to running actual projects, so will check in on it in a few years I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom