Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex Minecraft Server

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Think there was talk of some special furnace where you place the book to burn it, and it deletes the associated files as well. But again, it's on that planned features list. Right now the only way is to manually delete the files from the server folder. Not that the filesize is the main issue, though (unexplored worlds, with just the spawn area generated don't take that much space); it's having many worlds active at once, which'll inevitably cause lag.

Would probably need to disable the dense ores symbol in any case (which is the sole reason people usually need to make loads of disposable ages, other symbols are much more common); stack a few of those symbols and you'll have an endless supply of diamonds.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Well RedPower is out now, FTB shouldn't be that far off (apparently the 1.4.5=>1.4.6 update should be trivial for most mods).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Eloraam also has a 1.4.5 version of redpower that FTB can use if any other mods don't update before the new FTB release. A good thing, this time of the year you can be sure at least one mod maintainer has already gone home for Christmas and won't be able to do anything with their mod for a while.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah, should've just released that right away.

About ExtraBiomes btw., the dev is currently making the 4.0 which won't be compatible at all with EBXL 3.x worlds - no ETA mentioned on the mod thread, but assuming it's not months away, I don't think anyone would want to start a world now when FTB gets updated only to restart all over again soon?

The planned features do sound good tho:

A complete rework of existing biomes. The new mod will contain several terrain/climate biomes and transition biomes. In addition will be special biomes that are extremely rare.
Overlaying the terrain will be a new layer, called the grove layer that will shape forests based on the biome beneath. Flora will be generated based on this terrain so that forests will morph and transition from one to the other and maintain consistent borders across terrain as seen in the real world. Special "species groves" (organic groupings of same species trees) will be located within larger forests...
Higher and better terrain generation. (Generation in y > 127 range!)
No special blockIDs (<256) for terrain generation.
Extrabiomes options (including biome choice) in the world generation screen. Per world configration options!
Approximately 40 species of trees and bushes,including fruit bearing plants.

I've been talking to some of you about future plans...and this may be a surprise to some of you...it really just hit me this morning with Amotu's post that if a small bug can make such drastic changes to worlds then the kind of world-changing coming in the future needs to be a new version. Version 3 worlds will not be compatible with version 4 of this mod in any way.

And I guess one option would be to limit the new biomes to Mystcraft ages for now (afaik the functionality for this exists in the config files, so main world gen would remain vanilla), and then when EBXL 4.0 does come out, enable it for the main world as well.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That sounds awesome, but after waiting for Redpower since August I'm really not in the mood for waiting for something else that doesn't have a clear and impending release date. Unless the biome guy promises that 4.0 will be out very soon, I say we start the server with the next FTB update.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I don't think anyone'll dispute that, but the question is whether we should have EBXL enabled for the main world or not. The incompatibility almost sounds like it'd break the old worlds altogether.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'd prefer playing with the extra biomes active from the start, they are nice enough as they are in the current version. But if the next verision will be incompatible, I guess we might have trouble updating the world to a new version of the FTB pack, unless we muck about with a custom config?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm all for a new map with the better biomes, 'cause the map and biomes we have with the Technic server are a bit shit. One of my issues was just finding a decent place to build shit. The hills are small and the biomes run into snow everywhere.

Also, somewhere with less fucking water. Why the fuck does the world need to be like a fucking archipelago?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
When we start the new server we should generate a few worlds and find one that has some nice terrain for building around the spawn.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
When we start the new server we should generate a few worlds and find one that has some nice terrain for building around the spawn.
I'm wandering around FTB now and even just as it is, there's some sweet fucking terrain. I'm keen to get started sooner rather than later - especially over Christmas, when I'll actually have the time. Like, tomorrow would be good. Muty?

We can run this for another 12 months and move to another map update with the new FTB then. I'm sure EVEN MORE COOL AND EXCITING SHIT will have been added.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
All the mods that change the world generation in any way have been updated to MC 1.4.6, so hopefully a new version of FTB will be out any minute.

Luzur

Good Sir
I'm all for a new map with the better biomes, 'cause the map and biomes we have with the Technic server are a bit shit. One of my issues was just finding a decent place to build shit. The hills are small and the biomes run into snow everywhere.

Also, somewhere with less fucking water. Why the fuck does the world need to be like a fucking archipelago?

why not a flying island biodome? that would be swell for once.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The FTB launcher now shows the "mindcrack" modpack for 1.4.6. I'm not sure what's the difference between mindcrack and the FTB pack, they seem to have more or less the same mods. Mindcrack does have all the worldgen mods we can expect in FTB I think.
Muty, we can has mindcrack server?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The Direwolf modpack has been added now as well, and from the looks of it the modlist is much more similar to the up-coming 'ultimate' pack (which I suppose will be the main FTB pack). No idea whether the modpack configs will be compatible for each other, and whether all these other modpacks have the ore worldgen sorted out properly (for the ultimate pack they were planning to make the worldgen use only Thermal Expansion ores and get rid of all duplicate ores, so you wouldn't get 5 kinds of silver ore and 3 kinds of copper).

Modpack differences:

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/different-ftb-packs.4727/

Never tried it, but gotta say Traincraft looks cool as hell.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I would say that we wait for the FTB pack to come out, but I'll have a look at it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
yeah, it does sound like it's better to wait for the official FTB pack. duplicate ores suck, and long term support will probably be better.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Never tried it, but gotta say Traincraft looks cool as hell.
Ok, I came.
515jT.gif

Luzur

Good Sir

this could be a step in the right way for a more enjoyable experience in exploring, although some of the kind of ruins it introduce are kinda...derp.

but with some work and less spawn percentage...

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I'm not watching that based entirely on the still preview image.

Incidentally, what are we waiting for at the moment? Is it just new ores (and is it really a problem if we have to go exploring into new areas to find new ores)?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I believe we're waiting for the official FTB main pack. Though after playing around with the Mindcrack pack for a bit I'm not sure if there's any point in waiting. I've only found one version of each ore so far, and the only major mod missing in Mindcrack is Mystcraft, and that one is problematic anyway due to age spam taxing the server, and can easily be added at a later point anyway.

Muty, let's start up the server with Mindcrack and play!

Edit: We might want to disable xycraft, since it makes the underground really ugly by adding derpy glowing colored ore all over the place, it also doesn't seem to add anything useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom