Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex Minecraft Server

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
What part of 'straight-up vanilla' did you not get?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I think we can rent one with a tekkit installation, if that's the mod people want. We can even upload the map we already have and continue on it.

If Muty 's happy keeping this one alive though - and it's working, then there's probably no reason to change though.

Hmmm.... Every time I try and walk somewhere, shit freezes and I end up looking at the MineCraft "wall of dirt" background.

Nevermind, nuking Minecraft and reinstalling Java 32-bit and 64-bit seems to have done the trick.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Might as well use Feed The Beast mod pack these days, really. It's more 'official' after all (MC modding scene being the huge circlejerk that it is), and 21st of december should finally be the release of RedPower 2 (and Xycraft, likely they'll add Thaumcraft 3 to that new version too, then).

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I think we can rent one with a tekkit installation, if that's the mod people want. We can even upload the map we already have and continue on it.

If Muty 's happy keeping this one alive though - and it's working, then there's probably no reason to change though.

Hmmm.... Every time I try and walk somewhere, shit freezes and I end up looking at the MineCraft "wall of dirt" background.

Nevermind, nuking Minecraft and reinstalling Java 32-bit and 64-bit seems to have done the trick.

This sounds like a java issue yeah.

Anyway I'm busy as fuck these days and I don't have much time to play, but I don't mind running the server at all. You can spend the $$$ for renting a server on better things like booze and hookers.

Might as well use Feed The Beast mod pack these days, really. It's more 'official' after all (MC modding scene being the huge circlejerk that it is), and 21st of december should finally be the release of RedPower 2 (and Xycraft, likely they'll add Thaumcraft 3 to that new version too, then).

Sounds p good. Gonna check it out now. I'll get a testing server up and running.

Muty, have I been removed from the whitelist? I can't seem to interact with anything.

Give me a sec to check.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Working again, thanks Muty!

How about removing the MCMMO plugin? It seems buggy and the acrobatics skill doesn't play well with the IC2 quantum suit.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Working again, thanks Muty!

How about removing the MCMMO plugin? It seems buggy and the acrobatics skill doesn't play well with the IC2 quantum suit.

OK I'll remove it.

OK looks like FTB is super mega awesome. I started a test server, you can give it a try at the same address port is 25566.

Spec proposed to wait until we get the new redpower plugin before moving to it and it sounds like a good idea to me
Also doesn't support bukkit for now, but at this point I would prefer to have a more recent version of the game with better mods(the biomes are super cool) rather than an old version with bukkit.
Give it a try and tell me what you think.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Spec proposed to wait until we get the new redpower plugin before moving to it and it sounds like a good idea to me

Yup, there's already the 'magic' version of 1.4.5 available on the FTB launcher, but it's missing RedPower 2 and Xycraft too of course, and once they get released you'd be looking at the same old deal of new ores etc. appearing only in new chunks. The full release should be only a week away now.

Gregtech will probably divide opinions - on one hand it brings some sorely needed new stuff into IC2, and makes the quantum suit much harder to get, but on the other it has some pretty :retarded: changes too.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Muty - How do I connect with the FTB launcher to port 25566 to check that out?

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
FTB looks downright fucken sexy. I'm lovin these tall trees and the big biomes.

Oh God, I found one biome that is just covered in blocks of snow. This is cool.

Still be nice if day / night cycle was longer than 10 mins though. :/

Ok, until further notice, DU will be playing on the FTB server.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
ExtraBiomesXL is p. cool apart from the marsh biome.

687474703a2f2f69313137382e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f783336312f416e6472657753757065727472616d70486f6c6c65792f4d617273682e706e67

:x

If you're gonna leave that enabled for the proper map Muty, make sure it's not anywhere near the spawn. It looks ugly even in the minimap because the biome edges are always completely straight.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I dunno, marsh looks pretty cool.

By the way, we appear to have two separate silver ores: 248 and 2001:2, and thus two Silver Ingots: 9271 and 20257:66 EDIT: Ok, this seems to be deliberate. Seems there are different ores in different biomes?

Also, signs don't seem to keep what's written on them. I've had a number of signs just turn completely blank. EDIT: Nvm, seems they come back after you disconnect / reconnect.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I dunno, marsh looks pretty cool.

By the way, we appear to have two separate silver ores: 248 and 2001:2, and thus two Silver Ingots: 9271 and 20257:66 EDIT: Ok, this seems to be deliberate. Seems there are different ores in different biomes?

Its an incompatibility between thermal expansion mod and factorization. Its going to be fixed in the official 1.45 version:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/different-silver-ores.2941/

Btw don't get too used to the current FTB world. We'll have to restart the world when 1.45 comes out.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I agree, the marsh looks pretty ugly, and also entirely useless, terrain that exists only to be tiresome to cross.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
It wouldn't be so bad if there was some variety to it, but it's literally just a flat grass biome with deep water holes everywhere. I dunno if I've just been unlucky with my EBXL worlds, but those stupid marshes seem to be everywhere and all the cool ones (autumn forest, redwood mountains etc.) are much more rare.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
You kidding me? It's large and mostly flat but with nice water gaps. This is a prime building site if you want a flat area with just enough bits to build on - the rest of which you can dig out for a moat / whatever.

Btw don't get too used to the current FTB world. We'll have to restart the world when 1.45 comes out.
And I found a perfect place for a castle too. :(

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Muty, what are your thoughts on Mystcraft? It seems that to discover all the symbols, you will have to spawn several hundred ages, all of which will take up space on the server.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The maker of Mystcraft has plans to revamp the whole discovery system, so it's not all just RNG wankery anymore, but no eta on that yet afaik. Obviously, it won't do that everyone can just create ages willy-nilly, that'd murder any server (each one basically creates a new dimension separate from the main world, like nether). One easy way to solve this would be to have the descriptive books limited to ops only, and then make only a few worlds to be shared.

The really cool feature with Mystcraft for SMP especially is the fact that once you have the link modifier, you can create a central hub with inter-age linking books to teleport you to various areas.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That will remove the most fun part of Mystcraft though; making and exploring worlds according to your own specifications. What's needed is some way to clear out inactive worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom