Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPGDot... <i>likes</i> Dungeon Lords?!

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> have put up their <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1138>review</a> of the criminally awful Dungeon Lords. Their final score is an astonishingly high <b>8/10</b>.<blockquote>As D.W. Bradley announced Dungeon Lords as a Fighting RPG, fights are a very strong aspect naturally - however enemies in the upper world are a little stupid compared to those who live in the dungeons...they get stuck behind rocks or cannot follow you when you walk up stairs...but then again, DL is not an easy game regarding combat, so you may be happy for these AI cutdowns. Combat animations, esp of your hero, are very nice also - with several tyopes of attacks weach put into scene realistic and nice! Combat itself is extremely well done, but it requires some time to get used to it, requires a lot of training by the player and requires developing new strategies for new enemies...obviously something, that most gamers can't live up to these days, but scream out loud and complain about the bad combat system.</blockquote>Oh, so it's not that the game is a steaming turd, it's that people are too stupid to appreciate it. This makes perfect sense because action RPGs are always designed to be highbrow titles for the more refined gamer.

corvax

Augur
from rpgdot:
Ups
Great combat system
Great RPG system
Large gaming world
Picking locks is fun
Downs
Obviously released unfinished
Empty cities, taverns, shops
No Music
Only one type of world terrain
Monster Respawn

i guess picking locks in an unfinished but large, silent, empty "one type of terrain world" is great rpg fun as long as it's acompanied by plenty of fighting with constantly respawning monsters

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
hussar said:
from rpgdot:
Ups
Great combat system
Great RPG system
Large gaming world
Picking locks is fun
Downs
Obviously released unfinished
Empty cities, taverns, shops
No Music
Only one type of world terrain
Monster Respawn

i guess picking locks in an unfinished but large, silent, empty "one type of terrain world" is great rpg fun as long as it's acompanied by plenty of fighting with constantly respawning monsters

That is kind of confusing. Why is the "large world" a plus when you look at the cons list for the game? It can't be that visually interesting after a while if there's only one terrain type. There are cities, but they're empty which kills the fun of really finding them. So, the only thing to do in that large world is fend off the respawning monsters, which is listed as a con.

LlamaGod

Cipher
haha, I said the other day that RPGDot is full of pussies and one thing I said was while RPGCodex will say 3 games suck and 1 is good when they are presented with 4 games, RPGDot will say 'all games are enjoyable to degrees!' instead of saying what sucks or not.

One exampled I used was dungeon lords and this review reads EXACTLY like I said how they would review it (complete with base 6/10 for the game just installing).

Goddamn they suck.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
8/10 is unbelievable. The reviewer must have followed old Uncle Shagnak's advice about only playing the game drunk, to dull the pain.

But going by the review thread over at RPGDot, none of the other staffers rate it very highly at all. Dhruin rates it less than 4/10:
It is undoubtedly the worst title I have ever paid full price for. For me, a comparison (even a hypothetical one if the game were finished) to Gothic or Morrowind is laughable.
Glad you enjoyed it, Garrett. If I started at 4/10 for the gameplay, then subtracted missing features, half the spells not working, class requirements don't work, worst journal evar! and broken scripting I might have ended up with a negative score.

Heh.
For myself, I would give it 4 out of 10. Its main issue is being just empty and what is implemented is mostly just mediocre. However, there are the odd good dungeon bash bits, and some of the monsters are pretty cool.
The sad fact is, I've played quite a few games that are worse than Dungeon Lords. And most of thse games were actually a finished product! So, no, its not the worst rpg evar, but boy, in no way does it rise above average.

8/10? Ridiculous.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Yeah, we'll see how you guys's review of hellgate:london goes, then we'll talk. God forbid a reviewer shows some autonomy and balls by posting what he thinks instead of what the community tells him. Queers.

If more than 6 or 7 people played cops 2017, they might have taken issue with rpgcodex's review of it, but the reviwer had a good time playing it so he gave it a good review. I dont think I ever saw a review I agreed with since 1947. My take on how rpgs should be reviewed is here:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... ight=roqua

Its funny how no one cried when Jade Empire, the most non-rpg rpg ever made, got rave reviews. What would you pricks give it? 10/10?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Shagnak said:
And god forbid that other people might disagree with the reviewer.
Terrible.

Yes, especially when everyone will jump on board the Hellgate London gay train and cum all over each other in excitment on how fucking rad and tubular it is. Twitch is twitch, they're all fucking gay and none of them are rpgs. But now the lemmings are going to be picky and choosy about which gay game is gay enough to get flamed? Things get all confusing when people start classifying different levels of gayness and rating the gay games with real games, and then flaming people who judged a gay game less gay than it should have been. Its all gay to me. Queers.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sorry, stopped reading after the first "gay" explosion.
Do you have a point?

I think it's okay that reviewers have an opinion, and other people have opinions, and its perfectly okay for everyone to disagree and debate about it. Including you. So it renders your dismay pointless - unless you are saying that people shouldn't disagree with someone's opinion? Which means that you are disagreeing with somone's opinion that disagrees with that opinion, which...
Oh well. I don't know. Next.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Roqua said:
Its funny how no one cried when Jade Empire, the most non-rpg rpg ever made, got rave reviews. What would you pricks give it? 10/10?

Until there's a PC version, I'll be completely ignorant about anything Jade Empire other than who made it.

As for Hellgate London, I think I've already said I'm pretty disappointed that the game is first person/third person over the shoulder. I'm really not a big fan of WASD + mouse controls in a CRPG, which is why I generally prefer isometric POV.

I also don't like the idea of magic submachine guns, which just seems rather goofy to me. I'm not sure why a MAC-10 wouldn't work on a zombie, other than there might be some kind of licensing fee to use the name "MAC-10" in a game. Normal bullets don't work? Huh? Even against zombies? Okay.. They seem to work pretty good on people before they die. Why not after? Okay, if normal bullets don't work, and we're talking about the forces of Hell and what not, how about SILVER bullets then? Or perhaps bullets with ash tree wood rounds?

Either way, it looks like all publishers are pumping out these days are either twitch RPGs like Hellgate: London, Oblivion, Dungeon Lords, Witcher, etc. or completely passive games like Dungeon Siege. The only turn based CRPGs are those out of Russia or Russian publishers and a lot of those haven't been very well polished and most of them don't even make it to the United States.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Shagnak said:
Sorry, stopped reading after the first "gay" explosion.
Do you have a point?

I think it's okay that reviewers have an opinion, and other people have opinions, and its perfectly okay for everyone to disagree and debate about it. Including you. So it renders your dismay pointless - unless you are saying that people shouldn't disagree with someone's opinion? Which means that you are disagreeing with somone's opinion that disagrees with that opinion, which...
Oh well. I don't know. Next.

I agree. Thats why I'm an idiot. But at least I dont make any sense.

SP,

lot of good stuff from Russia. Nival is great. SS was a great tbs, even if it was too easy with the difficulty mods. Sentinels made it even better. Nightwatch should be a great rpg, but I doubt it will have character creation since its based off a movie/book. Hammer and sickle is supposedly an rpg, but even if it isnt it should be a great tbs. There is also Bourgeoisie which looks great. And Metheart (which I guess isnt russian now? that demo that wasnt supposed to be released but was made it seem russian).

As for devs here we have AoD, and this game looks great also, Ashes
http://ashes.lalista.org/

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't know what's so great about the RPG system. Half the skills don't even work.

As for Hellgate: London - yeah, it's an Action RPG. It's not a fucking secret, Roqua. It's not as if Hellgate: London pretends to be anything but an Action RPG. Dungeon Lords kept going on about how 'epic' the storyline was and how the player had 'choices' (which consisted of nothing more than picking one disfunctional skill over the other disfunctional skill) and so on and so forth.

If you're looking forward to a real RPG then there's always Oblivion and Dragon Age, both of which we cover here at the Codex. So what if we don't like Dungeon Lords? I don't understand your argument as to why we need to cream all over Dungeon Lords and Grimoire just because there's nothing else at the moment

Balor

Arcane
Well, while we're at it, "Hammer and Sickle" is indeed an RPG.
You will not find as many dialogues as in P:T or Fallout, but they are fitting, fun, atmospheric, all have voice-overs and what's the main thing - the game is fully non-linear.
You can get 4 different endings, and they are REALLY different, I mean not simply 4 dialogue options when you talk with the 'main bad guy' (btw, there is no 'main bad guy' there) that lead to different endings, but it's all based on decisions you've made in the course of game.
Unfortunately, it's all of them are rather short, but that's rather logical.
Btw, it's one of the rare games where not just your actions, but inactions can have rather long-reaching consequences.
Conversations with followers is very good too - on par with P:T and Fallout, I'd say.
Much better realism-wise then SS... no wonder that one of the biggest (and, arguably, best) Russian game sites AG.ru gave it 89 out of 100.
By the way, despite the background, (and generally being rather patriotic) it bears no hatred or bias for US. One of main characters is of US origin, and she is... well, you decide after you play the game, heh. Will not reveal more, because that'll be spoilers.
Well, as a side note, you are limited to a role of a infiltrator - but that's setting.
You have a nice chunk of freedom in this boundaries..

Atrokkus

Erudite
hMm , gotta check it out.

Кстати, Балор, ты на RPGplanet.ru случаем не бываешь?
Если что, заглядывай :)
я там под ником Tassadar.
У нас там переводом adnd занимаются (частично, в основном planar), если интересно.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
We've already reviewed HGL, its going to suck via association with Rex. Just like every other game he's made a fan site for.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Its funny how no one cried when Jade Empire, the most non-rpg rpg ever made, got rave reviews."

Jade Empire is one of the best RPGs ever. From what I've seen, DL isn't a RPG; but a dungeon hack. At least in JE, you can role-play your character and actually interact with characters in meaningful ways. And, respawning is very rare and only occurs where it makes sense (ie. ghosts). And, the cities in towns in JE are far from empty. They have lots of INTERESTING things to do.

Only a MORON would say that JE is the 'most non RPG ever made' when games like DS, DL, POR2, and a host of other games exist.

Idiot.

Roqua

Prospernaut
undead dolphin hacker said:
Roqua, your taste in RPGs mirrors your taste in writing -- you love the cock.

I'd love to slap you upside the head with my cock that I love.

And Volourn,

The fact that you would count a blatant non-rpg as an rpg nullifies anything you have to say on the subject. Jade Empire might be a good Action game, right up there with Double Dragon and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but only in Crazy Jackass Stupid Land where Blink 182 is considered a punk band, guys drink cosmopolitans and consider themselves straight, vaginas are inserted into penises, and people shove food in their asses and shit out their mouths would this nonsensee ever be remotley true. You are the king of this land of make believe, where you watch the children seductivly ride their bicycles by your window and flolic like sex vixens in the sun, and you tell yourself they want you to caress their backside and genitalia. After all, you are the ruler of this land where up is down, and anything can be anything with little reason besides being crazy and saying it is so.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's funny how you wrote all that, but you still weren't able to dsiprove that Jade Empire isn't a good rpg. :roll:

Oh, by the way, it is.

P.S. Hammer and Sickle looks fantastic, any word on a US release?

P.S.S 1000th post :cool:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LMAO

Comapring JE to Double Dragon yet trying to pretend that DL is a RPG.

In JE, the player does and can do the following:

- create a character and specialize the characters

- use three different dialogue skills that effect conversations in different ways

- complete quests in multiple ways

- interact with npcs in meaningful ways

- decide what to do, and how to do it

- make decisions that effect the game world, the PC, and the characters in the world

- earlier decisions can effect later quests in unforseen ways

But, yeah, JE is a Double Dragon retread. Idiot. :roll:

The bottom line is you don't know what a RPG is. Then again, you like DL and DS. That says everything.

R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom