Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where pants and boots aren't glued together

• Thread starter Can't handle the bacon
  • Start date

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
don't tell me this screen doesn't turn you on

801805.gif

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What if I have an odd compulsion to play as a barefoot but otherwise fully-dressed character, and am forced to also go pantsless to fulfill my odd fetish because of lazy devs?

Thank you for thinking about me in the making of this thread :love:

It's truly annoying when I want to play a party of barefoot chicks but removing the boots also removes their pants. It just looks silly and ridiculous.
A better solution is when games fuse the pants with the chest armor.

But ideally, a game would have 16 equipment slots like Morrowind.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Tranny is again, boots, no pants. Pants model depends on a body armor.
cq3LLiR.jpg
So the thread should probably be "where're my pants and why all saviors of the world are mooners?"

Edit:
But ideally, a game would have 16 equipment slots like Morrowind.
What about the cockring slot?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Some people here don't understand the issue. Here are some examples off the top of my head:

- in Valheim, boots are part of the pants slot. If you don't wanna walk around bare-bottom, you can't be barefoot. Your chick HAS to wear boots unless you want her entirely pantless.
- in Divinity 2 IIRC, pants were also part of the boots. Same with Original Sin (IIRC). Remove your girl's boots, and she's gonna be fully bare-legged from the ass down.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Some people here don't understand the issue. Here are some examples off the top of my head:

- in Valheim, boots are part of the pants slot. If you don't wanna walk around bare-bottom, you can't be barefoot. Your chick HAS to wear boots unless you want her entirely pantless.
- in Divinity 2 IIRC, pants were also part of the boots. Same with Original Sin (IIRC). Remove your girl's boots, and she's gonna be fully bare-legged from the ass down.
I think it's even a more legitimate matter it may seem - I love post-apo games where scavenging is a major thing and you have to make due with what you find, and for example in above mentioned NeoScavanger I died several times from issues regarding boots specifically - like tripping on a flip-flop or foot wounds & infections.

Quillon

Arcane
Heaps of games have boots or shoes. Pretty standard magic items really. Which games don’t?

Pretty much this, if you have a paper doll setup most games separate pants and boots

Many of them don't have material assets for boots/gloves/pants(& rings, necklaces etc even cloaks), final model is dictated by the torse(and maybe pants) item so usually you have footwear and maybe gloves rendered even if you don't have anything in the respective slots.

Not sure what your point is, I've played dozen of RPGs from old to new that have shoes you can put on your paper dolls. Games that fuse pants and shoes, I don't remember as much

Talking about the visuals; in many games especially with top down gameplay most clothing on body is dictated by the main clothing item(which uses the torse or torse/legs combined slot) and rest don't have visuals(apart from head and cloak items usually) so if you are wearing your main item you won't be barefeet visually when you don't have shoes in the slot.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Heaps of games have boots or shoes. Pretty standard magic items really. Which games don’t?

Pretty much this, if you have a paper doll setup most games separate pants and boots

Many of them don't have material assets for boots/gloves/pants(& rings, necklaces etc even cloaks), final model is dictated by the torse(and maybe pants) item so usually you have footwear and maybe gloves rendered even if you don't have anything in the respective slots.

Not sure what your point is, I've played dozen of RPGs from old to new that have shoes you can put on your paper dolls. Games that fuse pants and shoes, I don't remember as much

Talking about the visuals; in many games especially with top down gameplay most clothing on body is dictated by the main clothing item(which uses the torse or torse/legs combined slot) and rest don't have visuals(apart from head and cloak items usually) so if you are wearing your main item you won't be barefeet visually when you don't have shoes in the slot.

ToEE is a notable exception.

I don't play male characters, I don't need that slot :obviously:
What about Garrett?

Games where I can't create my own character are exceptions, of course.
Those don't tend to be RPGs though so you don't have equipment slots.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

For most of us that's not a problem

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My answer to most of these questions is usually the same, EverQuest. And I think Morrowind and similar games are what drove the depth out of gaming.

EQ: Left earring, helm, mask, right ear, necklace, back/cloak, shoulder, right wrist, boots, gloves, leggings, left bracer, belt, arms, chest. Then 2 held items, optional ranged weapon, ammo for it, and inventory.

508923036_a69cef484e_b.jpg

Notice the 6 different types of resistances too.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Can't handle the bacon

It's truly annoying when I want to play a party of barefoot chicks but removing the boots also removes their pants. It just looks silly and ridiculous.
A better solution is when games fuse the pants with the chest armor.
You play as a chick? Gross.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom