Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPGs with historical settings

Barbarian

Arcane
They happen to be the games I like the most, mostly. Darklands, Pirates! and the Expeditions series come to mind as some of my favorite games.

I was looking for gaming suggestions in the offhand chance I find a hidden gem(Expeditions: Conquistador was under my radar for quite a few years before I tried it and loved it). I know there seems to be a ton of sandboxy pirates games around but I am not sure any of them is worth a play. Strange that nobody never did a decent Pirates! clone and the 2004 remake is still the best thing around. The same can be said for Darklands.

PorkBarrellGuy

Inindo: Way of the Ninja

it's kind of shit though

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
the-call-of-abraham.jpg

Based on historical events that actually happened.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Teudogar and the alliance with Rome holds up surprisingly well.

And Wolf Mittag has the coolest name ever.

Edit: needless to say, if you like action RPGs, Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a lot going for it, although I don’t blame anyone who wants to wait for a few more patches before picking it up.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
there are no WW1/WW2 based RPGs

It's got to be tough to make an RPG in that setting. You're in the middle of a war with 10 million+ men on either side. You can get killed by a guy firing a howitzer 10km away. Success is mostly determined by which side can send the most weapons and supplies to the battlefield. The only way it would work is if you were in some isolated backwater where a few men could actually make a difference. Maybe a guerilla in the Philippines or Burma?

Got bored and left

there are no WW1/WW2 based RPGs

It's got to be tough to make an RPG in that setting. You're in the middle of a war with 10 million+ men on either side. You can get killed by a guy firing a howitzer 10km away. Success is mostly determined by which side can send the most weapons and supplies to the battlefield. The only way it would work is if you were in some isolated backwater where a few men could actually make a difference. Maybe a guerilla in the Philippines or Burma?

I'm sure you could make a solid RPG based on special ops behind enemy lines, Hidden & Dangerous style.

Ed. Something akin to the in-development Burden of Command, where you play as the commander of an entire unit, could work, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Silent Storm fits the bill although its not very historical in second part when you fight panzer kleins and some secret organisation but a few first missions are very much commando/SF behind enemy lines business. There is Nethergate (with too much mythological creatures added), Expedition Conquistador (would be perfect if not strong wombyn added in much above the historical average norm) and of Course KCD but its action game.

Martyr

Arcane
just recently I stumbled across "Conqueror A.D. 1086" on gog. the game seems to be a RPG/strategy mix. haven't played it yet, so I can't tell you if this game is good.

Legends of Eisenwald seems to have a historical setting. can't play that one though, because my toaster almost sets itself on fire even in the main menu (but it can run Witcher 3 perfectly).

"Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships" is a good pirate game.

and lastly I've seen Roqua recommend "Disgraced" (set in feudal japan), which was made in RPG-maker but according to him it is worth playing.

oh and you mentioned Pirates!, so you could be interested in "Sword of the Samurai" (commonly described as Pirates! with samurai).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, Legends of Eisenwald. It's the closest you can get to the atmosphere/setting of Darklands (though the gameplay is obv much different, it's a bit like a Disciples clone).

EDIT: what the fuck some guy mentioned it 3 posts above and somehow I didn't notice :hmmm:

groundhog

Educated
You just made me realize there are no WW1/WW2 based RPGs.

Also.

DumDum come: Deliverance.

There is this one:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/another-war

I have a boxed copy but I haven't played it at all yet, so I can't offer any advice regarding its quality.

EDIT: ..and it's already been mentioned whilst I'm typing my reply at my normal rate of about 5 words per minute.

Last edited:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Lionheart is a historical RPG with fantasy added on top. But it's not good.

Darth Roxor may say more if he gets serios.

EDIT: Oh wait, that Lionheart in his letsplays is a strategy game.

I was talking about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradoxically, one of the best overall experiences with medieval historical settings, if we don't take into an account Darklands and KCD, were Crusader Kings 2. Not a RPG, of course, but in what other game you can oust a Ryurikovich, make Rus Ryazanskaya, and schadenfreudingly watch their territories shrink, and individuals wither away into insignificance. I remeber in one of my walkthroughs, one young descendant of Rurik tried to strike a fortune in Varangian Guard. After two years of service he got mixed up into some plot. It didn't end well. He returned to his home town blind, crippled and castrated. Then his uncle from neighboring county raised an army against him, captured his lands and put the poor cripple into an oubliette, where he died miserably. What other game can craft such stories on the fly? With mods CK2 becomes even more interesting. On the other hand, that game has ton of overpriced DLC, and many parts of it aren't interesting at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom