Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with the best casts

• Thread starter Lilliput McHammersmith
  • Start date

Ninjerk

Arcane
Detective Monk is Aradesh in Fallout, I'm never going to forget this now.

Fallout had a surprisingly large amount of quality character actors in the cast. I can only imagine it was much cheaper to hire actors to do voice acting back then.
I don't remember voice acting being promoted as a major feature until Oblivion.

eilef

Educated
No mention of Jade Empire? Game had good cast for its time. Deaths Hand and Master Li were very good.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fallout had a surprisingly large amount of quality character actors in the cast. I can only imagine it was much cheaper to hire actors to do voice acting back then.

It was always quite a gimmicky/novelty thing in the 90s. I remember when Lands of Lore was re-released with voice overs (including Patrick Stewart).

I think Oblivion was probably the turning point where your average gamer considered it an essential feature.

Codex Year of the Donut

It was always quite a gimmicky/novelty thing in the 90s. I remember when Lands of Lore was re-released with voice overs (including Patrick Stewart).

I think Oblivion was probably the turning point where your average gamer considered it an essential feature.
Voice acting was already standard well before 2006. GTA3 came out 5 years prior.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Voice acting was already standard well before 2006. GTA3 came out 5 years prior.

I don't remember it being as ubiquitous in RPGs before Oblivion. Often characters were still partially voice acted (or only certain characters were fully voiced), not entire dialogues.

Codex Year of the Donut

I don't remember it being as ubiquitous in RPGs before Oblivion. Often characters were still partially voice acted (or only certain characters were fully voiced), not entire dialogues.
I do.
VTMB, Kotor 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Arx Fatalis, etc.,

Krivol

Magister
  • Jagged Alliance 2. I'm sure the combat is great, but without a compelling cast, it's hard for me to get immersed.

What? I mean people from SirTek were able to create interesting, developed characters with just few lines and banters, this is fucking masterpiece of char building and you are saying it's hard to be immersed? Go play Skyrim, plenty of developed chars for you there. Or Fallout 4 (ask TemplarGr, he will tell you :P )

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I’m curious. Why do you think I won’t be able to get into Geneforge/other Spiderweb games?

Pretty much this:
Geneforge games are not that famous on character cast. I dont remember who ever praise that part of those games here.

Spiderweb games can have pretty good writing in terms of setting, but I can't recall any compelling characters like I can with other games on your list. I feel like they'd fall under your list of RPGs you struggled to get into.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Spiderweb games can have pretty good writing in terms of setting, but I can't recall any compelling characters like I can with other games on your list. I feel like they'd fall under your list of RPGs you struggled to get into.

Yeah, Jeff rarely writes memorable characters. His strength has always been more around world building. Saying that, I think the Geneforge series was slightly better on this point than his other games.

Geneforge 5 in particular I thought had quite memorable characters in the faction leaders.

Lilliput McHammersmith

• Jagged Alliance 2. I'm sure the combat is great, but without a compelling cast, it's hard for me to get immersed.

What? I mean people from SirTek were able to create interesting, developed characters with just few lines and banters, this is fucking masterpiece of char building and you are saying it's hard to be immersed? Go play Skyrim, plenty of developed chars for you there. Or Fallout 4 (ask TemplarGr, he will tell you :P )

As I said before writing the list, I would love to be wrong. However, I don’t think characters are a big part of Jagged Alliance. Which is fine. Not every game has to be character-driven, but the point of my post was to see if there were some I was missing, or if it was worth giving these games like JA2 a second chance.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dungeons/Search for Magdarr. Can you find him? No one ever has. Diamonds!!?!?!? Where?

SPIDERS!!!!

overly excitable young man

Underrail had a foundry so there were lots of good casts probably.
There has to be a nice cast somewhere in Arcanum with all that theme going on.
I thought the beginning of Kingdom Come had one but the sword was already casted.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Albion had nice cats.

upload_2020-7-25_17-17-7.jpeg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind has the best cats. Quite endearing and with a nice voice acting (too bad they blew most of the VA budget on Patrick Stewart in Oblivion).

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I would add Warhammer 40.000: Mechanicus as an honourable mention. Managing to have a Machine Cult filled with interesting personalities, instead of the stereotypical lack thereof (everyone being simply "robotic") is an achievement in-and-of itself. Add to that the aesthetics, distinct looks, and the absolutely brilliant interpretation of Lingua Technica, and you receive something truly memorable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom